• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texashek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    spring TX
    so since i figured a quality 1911 was out of my price range i settled on a polymer 45 from GLOCK 21/XDm/S&W MP. I visited Tomball pawn and they were very helpful but presented an option I never considered. A Taurus 1911 ALR 45 ACP

pix384329125.gif

Being a n00b I told the fella (whose name I can't remember) I had head bad things about Taurus that they made cheap, poor quality fire arms and many people have said- anything but a Taurus. Now holding this 1911 in my hand it felt NICE! I had a Colt (Gold cup), Kimber and Springfield for comparison. The Taurus had an aluminum and steel construction that was as light as a Kimber carry, pictanny rails, hand saftey and a other features the $1200 1911s don't have.

so......what do I do?
    Lynx Defense

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I use to own a PT1911 with crimson trace grips. I truly regret selling that gun. It shot like a dream right out of the box. I wasn't sure I would like the Hinie 8 sights, but they were really easy to use. Biggest problem I ever heard about them was the finish, but I didnt experience any problems there either. I think it is a sweet gun for that kind of money.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    We have a Springfield Stainless GI on sale for less than that right now, and a few of the Taurus' at the same price as well as a Citadel.... plenty of options. I know that for a while the Taurus 1911's were having problems withthe ambi safteys coming apart, but they do feel good in the hand and for what they claim as custom it is a decent price. However with some careful shopping you can get into a Kimber or Springfield for not much more...

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have heard nothing but fantastic things about them and like the feell and how it shot more than my son's springfield 1911. awesome trigger too.

texashek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    spring TX
    thanks for the guidance, forgive my ignorance but who is "we?" This is the first time I have put my hands on any of these...I must admit I got excited and almost bought it. I am still torn between what option would be best for starting out (in a 45 of course) polymer or 1911

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    That would be them, but please pay no attention to the inventory listed on the web... we have been so busy there since November that it kinda fell to the side....Shiloh would be another great place to look, most of their 1911's are high end, but jeff and Steve would more than likely order what you wanted as well....

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    As a Taurus 1911 owner I must say that they (at least most of the recent ones) are awesome weapons. I'm not a great shooter but can put all 9 rds in a 2" target at 7 yds consistently the majority in a 6" target at 25 yds. Not a bad way to get into the 1911 addiction...and it is an addiction.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    In my experience, the Taurus polymer guns are problematic and their customer service sucks. However, their 1911 seems well built and has a fairly good trigger out of the box. Add the picatinny rail and price savings, and it's a great way to get into 1911's.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I have no first hand experiance with Taurus 1911's so I'll not comment on them except to say they would probably not hold value as well as other brands if that is of any concern.

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    I gave my 1911's to my three sons who were also shooters. A Colt, Springfield, and a modified Norinco. I went without a 1911 for 2 years, but started to suffer from withdraw symtoms. My first purchase was a PT1911 stainless. I did have trouble with the ambi safety, but I'm a hobby gunsmith and had no trouble securing it. 1K rounds later, I am very satisfied with the Taurus and recommend them.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    For that price range, you can get one of what you're calling a "quality" 1911.

Even $100 more, although it seems like a lot looking at a price, isn't much a year from now when you're happy and with a quality gun.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I own a PT 1911. So I can speak about mine at least. The sight screws fell out within 100 rounds (first trip out). I always watch the ambi safety and it did seem loose once and I squeezed it back in place 1000 rounds plus no other problems. This gun has NEVER malfunctioned in any manner that kept it from shooting or chambering a round.
    The rub comes from the service department. Just rename it the lies and BS department. They promised over and over to replace the sight screws and NEVER actually did anything. I found a place online and bought my own set screws. Letters sent snail mail do not even rate a reply. Their sights are not actually made by the companies names. Mine has Novaks. They are made under contract by Taurus. The aftermarket is catching up. Novak sells real Novak sights for the PT now. Novak does not in any way support the Taurus made sights. Which says nothing for Novak.
    All in all I will keep my PT 1911. I don't carry it, its just for fun. I have never considered 1911's good for carry since there are so many modern engineered handguns that are better. (nothing but my humble opinion)
    I think, if you got a good one you will enjoy it. If it has problems fix them yourself. Despite a wealth of rumor and Internet lies the internals are as standard as any other 1911. The guns were originally engineered for ball ammo and anything else may give you trouble. That's the case with all 1911's. Mine has fed everything I could stuff in the magazine without problems.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Taurus has come a long way in the QC and general build portions of their company thanks to some .gov funding. They still have a ways to go, but thanks to the money from the service pistol competition lately they have retooled quite a bit, and can produce better shooters.

As far as polymer vs 1911 stuff. It's all personal man. Get what feels best in your hand, and what fits you as a shooter. No bs someone tells you on the internet is going to help you in that category. It's all opinion, period.

Top Bottom