• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    I don't know what advice I can give you on getting your firearm back, but you are NOT paranoid for keeping one by your bed loaded. I do the same thing and even carry it into whatever room I am in while I am awake. I do, however, think that securing it when you are either not in the room or not in the apartment would be prudent. I am sorry your roommate's friend was ignorant and acted foolishly, which resulted in your firearms being (hopefully temporarily) confiscated.
    I hope this gets sorted out and the police return your firearms. If and when you get them back, I would ensure the guns are inaccessible to anyone but yourself. Lock them up if you aren't there or supervising.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    I've had a dream that went something along those lines. You will get your guns back, but be persistent and keep calling. In the future, don't call the 5-0 up unless they're knocking on your door. You did the right thing, but next time you'll have a whole lot less hassle and headache on your end if you leave the coppers out of it. I have had bad experiences with them, mainly a few almighty handcuff pistol toting regular 'badasses'.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    wow.
    that is rough.
    i would sure like to thing that that fellow learned a valuable lesson though.

but hwere do they get off taking your other weapon?
    and dont worry about being paranoid.
    i keep a handgun by my bed on on my desk and i carry one around like random outburst (who incidentally looks eerily familiar) in the house.
    cant be to careful in this day and age...

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If I were you I would call the agency and inquire to their policy on testing and returning the weapons. Some agencies will require a ballistic's test of the weapons to verify that they have not been used in previous crimes. You will want to ask a "supervisor" because they are more likely to have the correct answers you need, just so you don't get a "run around". Unless they are considering either of the weapons as evidence, they should return them. Good Luck

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    uhhhhhh.....trying to be as gentle as I can, hear - you screwed up on SO many levels I have NO idea where to start - IF in fact this story is true. I *might* be able to see the legality of property confiscation based on a story with no witnesses.....but confiscation of property NOT involved.....no. Ain't gonna happen unless there's LOTS more to this story.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I would have never called the cops. No one got hurt and no one knocked at the door.

On the "life lessons" to be taken from this, I'm not your father so I'll stay out of it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I'd be on fire about them taking your weapons. Start raising hell over that.

And the moron who NDed deserves a can of whoop@$$ opened on him

Acetone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    I'm really just glad to hear that no one got hurt. Also, you are not paranoid for having a gun by your bed, I carry mine around my house. Good luck.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That's the thing....I can't imagine a cop calling someone paranoid for having a gun at hand. Hell - I've had 'em respond to my addy, look around and ask about the "neat" this-or-that I'm either carrying, or have in a corner!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    BTW I want to echo that you're NOT paranoid for keeping a gun at your bedside. You should have asked the cop if he could get to your place in a matter of seconds if you needed help. When he says no, and he would have, you say, "exactly".

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I called the Dept. and within 20 minutes there were four officers in my room. One cut the carpet up to better see the small depression, and told me, among other things, that I should see a psychiatrist for paranoia, because I kept the weapon by my bed.

They took 20 minutes to get there, and they called you "paranoid"?

When you're in a self-defense situation, it's over in 7 seconds, and if you call 911, it takes them 7 minutes to respond. Paranoid?

I guess I should be hospitalized then, because I have a 12-gauge between my side of the bed and the nightstand, and a 1911 in the top drawer of that nightstand, and my wife has a 9mm in her nightstand. Then there are the several pistols we have around the house simply for convenience sake. All of our home/self-defense weapons are kept in condition 1.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    How should I start?

We called my roommate, and he returned with his friend, who was told he could be charged for unlawfully discharging a firearm within city limits. More importantly, for my sake at least, they took the 30-30, as well as an S&W40VE I had upstairs in a closet. I was told I could call and see about getting them returned, but only after I had been deemed "eligible" or something like that. The officers suggested not calling until after 30 days, otherwise I'd be "beating my head against the sand."

If I were you, I'd lawyer up and get my weapons back immediately. They had no lawful reason to confiscate your pistol - at all. If you legally own your guns (all you should have to do is show proof of age and the sales - hopefully from a Texas FFL/dealer - receipt for the weapon in question), and if they haven't been used in the commission of a crime, they can't take legally them from you.

Also, I'd see about putting a lock on your door so no other idiots can pull the same stupid stunt.

dday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    irving tx
    i had something similar happen to me about 10 years ago. I went to the police station the next day and got my pistol back.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Should of never called. Did you get a receipt for the property they took? That idiot ain't no room mate
    If the police had come out, they should of caught you in the act of dropping 2 x 4's flat on the concrete. Sounds a lot like a gun shot.
    Wonder what they would call me, if they saw my 17.5" Kukuri Knife under my bed.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I agree with whats been said. If they didn't charge you with anything, they have no right to confiscate your legally owned property. But they may be able to conjure up something to charge you with. Failure to keep a weapon secured, if that is in fact a law. So, I would be polite and calm when calling them. If they refuse to return, yet don't charge you with anything, then it's lawyer time. Only problem is, the cost of the lawyer might be more than the guns are worth.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pericomtz
    Top Bottom