Congress wants to make police a federally protected class, do you agree?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OFFascist, May 15, 2018.

1. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Law enforcement doesn't protect the public. They enforce law. If you're not the one getting arrested. There's a perception of protection.

Absolutely no duty involved.

2. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So you believe that every LEO that goes into becoming one believing that?

3. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Active Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Tbd.
    And it's a sad thing too. The public has so many laws that hurt us in order to protect ourselfs and train ourselfs. What we can have, when we can do it, what we can use, that's not ok blah blah blah. It's all micromanaged laws. If police have this attitude, we are already in dangerous territory. If police don't want to help protect myself or my property, then don't tell me how I'm wrong in doing it myself. Lol.

4. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    From the clinical standpoint. Police evolved from industrial security guards.

From my perspective being in the car. You may start police thinking you protect something. Then that idea is dashed. You enforce law. You do it without bias or feelings. Cops can't be sued because you got shot, cut, kicked, or beat.

5. easy rider

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm not saying that all LEO's follow that, but I believe your view is a bit skewed. Certainly they are there to uphold the law, but handing out traffic tickets and looking for bad guys isn't all they do.

6. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    What else do you believe they do? Department's have a public relations officer. You usually see them on the news. I never handed candy to children. I didn't help old ladies cross the street. Didn't change somebody's flat tire. My FTO chewed my butt because I waved at somebody.

I smiled a lot. Kept the uniform ironed. Boots clean. I enforced law by the rules. My view was skewed. I watched too much Mayberry as a child. There no such thing in real life.

7. easy rider

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I feel sorry for you then.

8. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Active Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Tbd.
    I think that's a shame. You can still be on guard with a smile. You can still go from talking to a rear naked choke with a smile. Lol. I don't see the issue.

9. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Feel sorry the corrections part. Prison inmates are depressing as hell. Don't do it for the law dog part. I dedicated my life to and enjoyed every second. Best job on earth, bar none.

10. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen

We were patrolling some notorious low income housing. I waved to a few people in a group.

With a Police authority verbal announcement. "We Don't do that". Type of single sentence you get the jist from pretty quick. Cool guy personally. In cop mode(what the public sees) he was straight hard core. Didn't take an excuse to save your life.

It's true. Everything is a nail when you're a hammer.

Sam7sf likes this.