• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    It seems I may start meeting people in the area on a regular basis and I'm wondering where the good or exceptional places for the $$ are, but not the chain stuff on the highways.

I'm not opposed to them but, we all know what they serve so I'm looking for good/unique places on, OR off the beaten path.

Grazie! :shades:
    ARJ Defense ad

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    McKenzie's BBQ is always good and at a good price. Joe's Italian (not open Mondays) is VERY good and at a very good price. I think 99% of the cops in town eat at those two places. Both are on North Frazier, a mile or so south of N336.

They opened a Black Walnut at the airport (a little bit east of the airport on N336) that has a wide variety and decent prices. Smokey Joe's BBQ on I45N isn't bad.

There's a church just east of the 336 loop on 2854 (the road going to Gun Emporium) that has a great lunch and very cheap. Soul food. Pork chops, fried catfish, etc. I think it's West Tabernacle Church. I can't go alone because there's so much food I need help getting up.

Vernon's Catfish Kitchen on 105 west of Conroe (past the lake) is very good and has good prices. A bunch of TGT folks went there after a meet at Shooter's Station. Their chicken fried steaks and chicken are terrific.

There are lots of Mexican restaurants, but honestly none of them stands out as really being great. A few non-chain burger joints some locals like, but I've never been impressed.

Last edited:

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    I'll second the recommendation for Black Walnut at the airport, good food & great views if anybody is flying.

If downtown, go to the Red Brick Tavern. Vernon's Catfish is good, their Bar-B-Q joint nearby...not so much.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Vernons Country Katfish is good. We've had a few meets before there and they've tolerated us well. If they can handle a Houston TGT crowd, I imagine they're game for about anything.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Black Walnut sounds good to me. Joe's Italian & Red Brick Tavern sound good too.

Keep 'em coming and thanks!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Looks like Friday we're going to try The Black Walnut, are jeans ok? My guess is yes but thought I'd check.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I like the burger at Walnut. Substitute the sweet potato fries - they're very good. Some of the folks at work swear by the fish, shrimp, or lobster tacos. Salads and pasta dishes are good.

At Joes, go for one of the specials of the day or pick from the lunch menu (smaller portions than supper, but still generous and cheap).

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Crap! Black Walnut caters to the $100 burger club and closes at 3pm, gotta find somewhere else for tonight.

Top Bottom