• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    Recently got my CHL and have started carrying when out walking the dogs at night etc. It’s been a bit odd and the wifey gives me the raised eyebrow. Overall it’s been an interesting feeling.
    Currently on a Shield 2.0 45 acp as there are plenty of wild animals by where I live in Dripping. Have come across boar, coyotes, and it’s deer mating season or about to be, hence the lager caliber.

For every day carry starting to think it might be a bit much in terms of size and weight. Plus may smaller calibers can handle more rounds than the 8 on my Shield.

So when you decided on an every day carry gun, what where your main considerations? Size of gun? Round capacity? Comfort? Caliber?

looking for insights from a larger group than my usual buddies.

TIA.
    Venture Surplus ad

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before ya know it... that pistol will be like you wallet or pocket knife. You'll feel naked without it.

I carry a shield in 9mm. It fits my hand good for its size. It shoots good and I can conceal it deep.

After hours, I usually grab my 19x and when I'm feeling froggy... I might grab a full size 1911.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Biggest consideration I have is understanding what threats I am most likely to face. Like Clint Smith says, you’re more likely to be struck by lighting than suffer a home invasion.

Modern ammunition has really narrowed the performance gap between 9mm and 45ACP, so caliber is pretty much personal preference, which leads to capacity, size, and weight in a reliable platform being the driving factor.

Your EDC choice should be something you can get a good grip on, rapidly acquire a target with, and allow you to reliably and quickly get rounds on target.

You also should train to your scenarios.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    Biggest consideration I have is understanding what threats I am most likely to face. Like Clint Smith says, you’re more likely to be struck by lighting than suffer a home invasion.

Modern ammunition has really narrowed the performance gap between 9mm and 45ACP, so caliber is pretty much personal preference, which leads to capacity, size, and weight in a reliable platform being the driving factor.

Your EDC choice should be something you can get a good grip on, rapidly acquire a target with, and allow you to reliably and quickly get rounds on target.

You also should train to your scenarios.
    Appreciate the response. That leads to another question, any ranges and instructors that could help with training scenarios?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    Before ya know it... that pistol will be like you wallet or pocket knife. You'll feel naked without it.

I carry a shield in 9mm. It fits my hand good for its size. It shoots good and I can conceal it deep.

After hours, I usually grab my 19x and when I'm feeling froggy... I might grab a full size 1911.
    Full size 1911... mucho hombre here. ;)

cant see me CC a full size, but once I get some land, for sure. Wife will surely get a good kick out of it seeing me carrying that.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    So when you decided on an every day carry gun, what where your main considerations? Size of gun? Round capacity? Comfort? Caliber?

My thoughts were:
    Reliability - it better always go bang when I want it to.
    Accuracy - have to be able to hit what I'm shooting at.
    Caliber - 9mm or bigger.
    Comfort - it has to be something I can easily carry all the time. I tried several and came up with something close to a Shield in size.

Not too worried about round count.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    My thoughts were:
    Caliber - 9mm or bigger.
    Comfort - it has to be something I can easily carry all the time. I tried several and came up with something close to a Shield in size.

Curious, why isn’t round count as big of a consideration? Asking as I’ve heard some argue it’s better to have 10+ round vs 6-7, which makes sense, but I also don’t see myself getting into a fire fight that goes beyond a few shots

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    1911 in .45.

You may save some ounces in going light. But your body weight will fluctuate by several pounds during the day. And as was said above, after a while you won't notice it.

Besides, most of us could use a little extra exercise.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Full size 1911... mucho hombre here. ;)

cant see me CC a full size, but once I get some land, for sure. Wife will surely get a good kick out of it seeing me carrying that.

Funny. I carry a double stack commander size 1911 in 9mm almost exclusively. Weak side is a single or double mag carrier. If you’re comfortable with a G19x/M&P2.0 compact sized gun, then a 1911 commander is the same size.

I’m not a fan of .380ACP, but I sure as fück wouldn’t want to be shot with one.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Curious, why isn’t round count as big of a consideration? Asking as I’ve heard some argue it’s better to have 10+ round vs 6-7, which makes sense, but I also don’t see myself getting into a fire fight that goes beyond a few shots
    In the overwhelming majority of civilian cases, a couple of rounds are fired at most.

Just a matter of what risk level you are comfortable with. I figure 8 rounds of .45 is plenty. I am not preparing for some zombie apocalypse. The odds of needing more are so incredibly tiny, I am not concerned. Personally, I have much more confidence in .45 than I do in 9 mm. Others may feel differently.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    In the overwhelming majority of civilian cases, a couple of rounds are fired at most.

Just a matter of what risk level you are comfortable with. I figure 8 rounds of .45 is plenty. I am not preparing for some zombie apocalypse. The odds of needing more are so incredibly tiny, I am not concerned. Personally, I have much more confidence in .45 than I do in 9 mm. Others may feel differently.

I don’t disagree. I wear a stiff gun belt and carry the spare mags primarily to provide weak side support that offsets the gun on the strong side. For me, it’s night and day more stable and balanced.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    Funny. I carry a double stack commander size 1911 in 9mm almost exclusively. Weak side is a single or double mag carrier. If you’re comfortable with a G19x/M&P2.0 compact sized gun, then a 1911 commander is the same size.

I’m not a fan of .380ACP, but I sure as fück wouldn’t want to be shot with one.
    Can’t think of any caliber I’d like to be shot with, but that’s just me.
    I’m also afraid of flu shots... so....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My thoughts were:
    Caliber - 9mm or bigger.

Robert hit most of my main points of considerations for any pistol I might carry.

Reliability in the pistol and ammo are my main criteria, first and foremost. Without those, everything else is a moot point for me.

Comfort is a big consideration as well. A smaller caliber or capacity that is carried, beats something larger, or higher capacity that gets left at home because it's too uncomfortable to carry everyday.

Accuracy isn't as strong a consideration for a carry gun for me, since in the situations of needing a carry gun, would be up close and personal, that an accurate gun isn't as much an issue IMO. Accurate enough is 8" to 9" at about 7 yards works for me.

Personally, I'm moving more along the lines of 9mm or larger as well. I do still own and carry a 380 from time to time, but there are just more advantages to the 9mm over a 380. So in the near future I will be myself upgrading to 9mm pistols to replace a couple of 380's we own and use.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My thoughts were:
    Caliber - 9mm or bigger.

This. It was a toss up between the Shield 9 and an XDs 9. Shield won.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Reliability was and is of foremost importance. Even if the gun "doesn't fit me", it has to go bang when needed.

Something I can shoot accurately, to fairly accurately. No good if I can't hit what I need to when it goes bang.

Since my physical situation is a bit different than most, a higher capacity was, and is important to me. Even knowing that the "odds" say I shouldn't need more than one to three rounds to get out of a situation, I want to be covered if a lot more are required without the need of a mag. change. So a 10+1 is a minimum for me.

Comfort can be taken care of with the use of a good holster and a good belt. DO NOT GO CHEAP! on either. A good belt, that is specifically designed and made as a gun belt, will help distribute the weight more evenly and reduce sagging.

Caliber choice(s) will vary on what you are comfortable shooting, practicing with, and are able to afford.

As has been said, after a bit, you'll feel nekid leaving the house without it.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I think if I were worried about feral hogs or other wild animals at night I would want more than a Shield in .45. I would probably be open carrying a Glock 20 in 10 mm. My carry guns go from a KelTec P32 (.32 ACP) loaded with LeHigh Defense rounds as pocket carry to a .380 ACP to a 9mm (multiple models) to a 38 snub to a 45 (multiple models). All depends on situation. Always with a spare mag and for the revolver Bianchi strips. Next purchase will be either a Glock 20 or maybe a Glock 40MOS.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom