Join TexasGunTalk

Considering a GSG 16, should I consider something else?

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by clawmarks, Apr 24, 2020.

1. clawmarks

clawmarks Member

Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    Hi everyone,

I own a 9mm for home defense and as CCW, and a 0.22 pistol for additional cheap practice and fun.

I'm considering to purchase a GSG 16 mainly for recreational purpose, I was considering a 9mm PDW (EP9, FX-9, Stirbog) at first since they are so much cooler and a lot more functional, but then realized that I'm mainly attracted to the range aspect and not the actual home defense purpose, and that running those PDWs in the range will be a lot more expensive due to the ammo costs.

Enters the GSG 16. It looks like a fun gun to shoot, it costs x5 times less to operate, seems reliable (according to the reviews I've been reading), and quite cheap to buy.

Any insights about the whole situation? Anything I'm missing? Let me know if you think of better alternatives, and you're more than welcome to share your experience about this kind of decision.

Cheers

2. cvgunman

cvgunman Active Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    We had a GSG MP5 clone in 22 that was a rental gun. The thing ran flawless and only gave up after many 10's of thousands of rounds. I'd say GTG on this one.

majormadmax and pronstar like this.
  3. Glenn B

Glenn B Well-Known TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    9mm CCW, 0.22, GSG 16, 9mm PDW (EP9, FX-9, Stirbog) whatsyamacallit. I wish I had a bit more of a clue as to what you were talking about beyond the 9mm CCW.

4. Glenn B

Glenn B Well-Known TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    Oh, and hi, only noticed you were new to the forum.

5. clawmarks

clawmarks Member

Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    oops :E

Personal Defense Weapons (PDWs) are, usually, 9mm "pistols" that look more like rifles (or perhaps, some sort of a hybrid in between).
    Initially, I considered getting one of the PDW options, e.g. Stribog or Extar EP9, but I realized that -realistically speaking - I don't really want it for its function, but more for the fun aspect of shooting it in the range. Hence, I want it because it looks like a fun 'toy' to play with in the range, which is very different than my rational to purchase the 9mm pistol for home defense / concealed carry.

The GSG 16 looks somewhat similar to the aforementioned PDWs, but it got a tiny 0.22 caliber, and is quite cheaper both for purchase and operation(ammo) - so even though it doesn't have the same appeal for me, it's correlates better with the actual usage I'll apply ("range toy").

I decided to pull the trigger on the GSG 16, let's see how it'll perform once I get it.

Sorry if my original message was a bit unclear / all over the place (:

Bozz10mm likes this.
  6. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Aint all GSG's pot metal guns?

7. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Pretty much.

I will say that my GSG-5 (MP5 clone) has been extremely reliable in spite of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

I have one as well, that was a bonus one year on the seasonal job. I also read if you take it apart your screwed.

pronstar likes this.
  9. PinnedandRecessed

PinnedandRecessed Allegedly TGT Supporter

Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    True. I had one of the early GSG Mp5 clones (before they were sued by HK). It had issues. Quickly got rid of it and bought the HK licensed Walther. The Walther has been great. It's unfortunate they don't make them any more.

10. clawmarks

clawmarks Member

Apr 21, 2020
    austin, tx
    So...
    While waiting for my gsg 16 to arrive (it got shipped earlier this week), I got a glance of a Stribog deal that was WAYYYY too good for me to pass.

So I bought it too.

Please don't tell my wife

pronstar and majormadmax like this.