• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Well my POS gas grill had a grease fire and the heat caused the middle burner to disintegrate. The grill is still somewhat usable but my wife suggested maybe it's time to look again at a pellet grill.

I know everyone has a brand they like for these types of things but what do you use and would you buy it again? I've been looking at the upper end with Camp Chef or Rec Tec but wondering if a higher end Pit Boss would do the job well.

How well does basic grilling like hot dogs, sausage, burgers and chicken work on a pellet grill? Will I still want a gas grill for those things. We are looking at putting in an outdoor kitchen with a natural gas grill in the future so I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

TIA!
    Venture Surplus ad

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I looked at those but wanted something more tried and true. They seem to have some quality issues and I didn't want to go down that route.

Appreciate the suggestion.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Well my POS gas grill had a grease fire and the heat caused the middle burner to disintegrate. The grill is still somewhat usable but my wife suggested maybe it's time to look again at a pellet grill.

I know everyone has a brand they like for these types of things but what do you use and would you buy it again? I've been looking at the upper end with Camp Chef or Rec Tec but wondering if a higher end Pit Boss would do the job well.

How well does basic grilling like hot dogs, sausage, burgers and chicken work on a pellet grill? Will I still want a gas grill for those things. We are looking at putting in an outdoor kitchen with a natural gas grill in the future so I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

TIA!

Well IMO both. I’ve got a Yoder YS640 and it’s a great cooker but I still like a gas grill for things like hamburgers and other quick cook items. I also like the pellet grill for cooking with wood pellets and some smoking. It give a nice flavor profile. Then I also reverse sear things like steaks. Put them in the pellet grill on low for couple of hours of smoke then throw them on a hot grill for a quick sear at the end. For me I really like my pellet cooker but I also enjoy having other means for flexibility in how I cook.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I looked at those but wanted something more tried and true. They seem to have some quality issues and I didn't want to go down that route.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Owning a 560, my experience has been stellar, but I would wait until the QC issues are resolved. The 1050 does address some of the minor engineering oversights in the 560 from what I understand.

I would seriously look at a BGE/Kamado type cooker instead of a pellet grill if versatility is what you’re looking for.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is all just MHO.

Pellet grill= jack of all trades, master of 1.

I've been using my Camp Chef Woodwind with sear box for 2yrs now. I've been happy with it. Only maintenance I've had to do is change the auger motor and temperature sensor.

The nice thing about a pellet grill, is its forgiving. There are no flare-ups and if a kid distracts you for 5mins, you won't come back to blackened chunk of meat. They do very well on the meats you listed. I do not like steak on them. Nothing can touch the flavor of a steak kissed by the flame of real wood fire. Hence, why I bought a charcoal grill Thursday and 2 cases of pecan and oak wood logs. Remember- a pellet grill is basically a convection oven with smoke.

Where a pellet really shines is the ability to smoke meat without messing around with the fire. Set it and forget it. Period. Your results will be pleasing.

Gas grill is super convenient due to the ability to heat up quick. Makes those quick evening dinners more possible, because your not thinking about the grill having to heat up or build a fire. My pellet takes 15-25mins to hit 375degs.

Also, minuet detail, but one I noticed. Pellet grills are not peaceful. They have a fan and it's kinda loud. Maybe not as noticeable in a noisy city. But, it's pretty quiet out this way. I get a little annoyed by the fan blowing when I'm trying to chill to a beer and listen to music.

I understand why most of the top cooks on YT have 3-4 different grills. I have my pellet, charcoal and now I'm just missing a Weber 210.

tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      270.9 KB · Views: 575

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    If you are looking at high end then you also need to be looking at Pitts & Spitts out of the Houston area.

I have their Maverick 1250 and it turns out some fantastic food. I’ve smoked just about every kind of meat you can think of, reverse seared steaks, burgers, dogs,chicken regularly. I have a pizza oven adapter for it as well and that thing is cool. Will fully cook a fresh pizza in 3-4 minutes. Get a set of grill grates for high temp searing. The only thing I haven’t done in mine is bake a cobbler.

Some people complain about lack of bark on brisket or flavor with pellet grills but neither of those have been an issue for me. Pellet choice makes all the difference in the world. I have been using Lumberjack pellets exclusively but am going to try B&B as I hear good things about them as well.

768e1af3edccf8a7adf519cb181c89e2.jpg

1245a8bdb7077653e1c3d9eab9aa3d39.jpg

495f47548f77f299b16db123e3841790.jpg

dbe5b854b03ff4efa069c521a785b6b1.jpg

Seared this beef tenderloin in a cast iron skillet on the grill. No smoking up the house.

c2311a6383b6bc7bfca0f15a8d8c75cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• 768e1af3edccf8a7adf519cb181c89e2.jpg
      768e1af3edccf8a7adf519cb181c89e2.jpg
      822.6 KB · Views: 586
    • 1245a8bdb7077653e1c3d9eab9aa3d39.jpg
      1245a8bdb7077653e1c3d9eab9aa3d39.jpg
      859.6 KB · Views: 628
    • 495f47548f77f299b16db123e3841790.jpg
      495f47548f77f299b16db123e3841790.jpg
      982.6 KB · Views: 571
    • dbe5b854b03ff4efa069c521a785b6b1.jpg
      dbe5b854b03ff4efa069c521a785b6b1.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 617
    • c2311a6383b6bc7bfca0f15a8d8c75cb.jpg
      c2311a6383b6bc7bfca0f15a8d8c75cb.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 554

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Where a pellet really shines is the ability to smoke meat without messing around with the fire. Set it and forget it. Period. Your results will be pleasing.

Gas grill is super convenient due to the ability to heat up quick. Makes those quick evening dinners more possible, because your not thinking about the grill having to heat up or build a fire. My pellet takes 15-25mins to hit 375degs.

You're hitting on exactly why I have preferred gas grilling and why I was looking at the pellet grills.

I have a Weber kettle that I rarely use because of that even if I do prefer the flavor more. Gas is just too damn easy and acceptable enough.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You're hitting on exactly why I have preferred gas grilling and why I was looking at the pellet grills.

I have a Weber kettle that I rarely use because of that even if I do prefer the flavor more. Gas is just too damn easy and acceptable enough.
    Well... there is your answer. Both;) Get a small pellet and a small gas. You have a kettle.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I can’t get on board with the Sous Vide cooking process.

The biggest problem I’ve seen with the more “budget friendly” pellet grills is the lack of high temperature and inferior quality materials and building.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have the top of the line PitBoss, and a big Weber gas grill, and it has a handle to open the searing grate for steaks or anytime really high heat is desired. Since getting the pellet grill about 15 months ago, I have used the Weber exactly 3 times.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I recently purchased a Country Smoker Traveler. It's the perfect size for 2 people but Sat I put 3 Hormel BB ribs on it, barely. It's very well made and so far I've cooked Brats, Hamburgers, St Louis Ribs, and Baby Back ribs. All turned out very good with the BB ribs falling off the bone tender. Took just over 3 hours.

I bought it because:
    1. It was cheap ($195 shipped to my house)
    2. Portable for RV use
    3. Several RV friends were bragging about it

Exterior is 22"W X 15"D X 13" T it weighs 44 lbs. Cooking area is 13"x14" and has a rack over it.

I've done the Sous Vide trip, never again.

We also have a Weber propane grill.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I can’t get on board with the Sous Vide cooking process.

The biggest problem I’ve seen with the more “budget friendly” pellet grills is the lack of high temperature and inferior quality materials and building.

But sometimes people just have budgets they have to stay within for some things. I don't actually have any knowledge of pellet grills or smokers, but I would guess since how they operate, and have more moving parts, spending more money and buying a quality one would be prudent though.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've never used one of them.
    How many pounds of pellets per hour?
    Of course I know it depends on the temperature.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I've never used one of them.
    How many pounds of pellets per hour?
    Of course I know it depends on the temperature.

Can’t say for sure but I’ve done a few 14-16 hour brisket or pork butt cooks and it used maybe 1/2 of my hopper which is 35#.

That said, the thicker the material the better it will hold heat and use less fuel.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    But sometimes people just have budgets they have to stay within for some things. I don't actually have any knowledge of pellet grills or smokers, but I would guess since how they operate, and have more moving parts, spending more money and buying a quality one would be prudent though.

Completely understandable. Like most things in life quality doesn’t come cheap.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Mine has a 3.5lb hopper(they said). 4 hours of cooking used maybe 1/4 of it. After the third cooking I emptied the ash out of the burner. It might have covered your palm.

All of the other smokers I was pricing started around $300 and way up from there. I figured for <$200 I would try it and if it didn't work out it wouldn't hurt too bad.

Top Bottom