Texas SOT

Considering a WC 1911. Is it worth the price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jherico

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Clearlake
    I'd like to get both a home defense "full size" and a carry. Looking for something that I will keep the rest of my life. Considering a Wilson Combat Classic 1911 and their 9mm carry. They are extremely pricey but seem to posses the fit and finish I'm looking for in a lifetime weapon. Anyone have any bad experiences or insights they can share about WC?

Thanks

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I have a Wilson XTAC 5in and absolutely love it. Does it do anything better than a $1500 Dan Wesson? Not really, but who cares?

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I've worked on a bunch of 1911's over the years from most of the high end makers, both currently working and old school guys. Wilson guns are the only ones I've had problems with out of the box. Baer at least you get to shoot them a bit before they break their extractors :)

Speaking as a gunsmith and competitive shooter...I really like Ed Brown's stuff. Quality without the hype.

Alex

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    I know I'll get flamed about this but in my opinion, no, it's not worth the price. I have worked on and carried a 1911 of some shape or from for over 30 years since my days in the Marine Corps. My life and those I care about will depend on it if the occasion should arise and it has to go "bang" every time. That being said a box stock government model is designed to do just that. Wilson's, Bear's and the rest are very well made firearms built for a select group of customers. It's a race car that is finicky and must be treated as such. When it comes to life or death I will not take a chance of a malfunction. Again this just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There are other quality 1911s that you should at least consider. STI makes a great product that won't require cashing in the 401k and they give great service. Once you've shot a quality 1911, you will appreciate what makes it special.

As for ray22's observation, he's right to a point: many of the really tight guns have not been very forgiving. But I will disagree on this a bit because really well made 1911s are both accurate and reliable. The quality of manufacturing with computer controlled equipment and good final fitting can produce a most excellent firearm.

The one thing I see in the OPs message that disturbs me is the mention of 9mm. I don't know how strongly I can say "NO!" and get my point across. If you're paying the money for a 1911, then it has to be in .45 ACP. Less than that is like buying a hot Camero and putting a Yugo engine in it.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Ah, I thought you were talking "custom name" guns...frankly, I can have pretty much whatever I want. I've owned Wilson, Clark, and Baer...messed with many more.

My own favorite carry gun is a STI Commander. In 9mm, because 20 rounds. I hate reloading.

STI_lt_cmdr_1.jpg

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Okay....ya'll know ah've got a 1911 or two....in fact, just picked up a Kimber Warrior this afternoon (note to self - it IS possible to go a month without buying another gun, but there's no sense in making a habit of it.....)

Got everything from a Baer to W/C, Ed Brown ta RIA. Having said that....my personal EDC is a STI Elektra. To me, for the money the STI product line gives heads and shoulders better overall quality than anything else out there. Later this summer, ah'll be addin' at least 2 more to the collection, in fact, just 'cause.

Every .45 I own has its' own niche - the RIA simply because it's a VERY economical platform as a truck gun that can be tuned up as finances allow - or even (if you can find an unmolested one) a Norinco 1911. Want something you can abuse w/o crying about? Then RIA, Remington, Citadel and a host of others are available in an affordable package. Midrange? Springfield (who even has a decent "budget" .45), STI, Kimber...there's more.

Bottom line - you can get something you CAN count on for around $500 - from there, it's fit/finish/workmanship. The budget .45's are gonna be a smooth or finished - but they'll save your ass when called on. Just as some can afford a used Pinto, others want a Maybach - each has its' advantages and good points.

Having said that, you CAN find deals, and can often buy a good used gun for the same money as a new "budget" gun - and the first time you go to the range, that new gun is now used......so don't be afraid to buy something that's been well-cared for.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Double stack is how you order pancakes not a 1911. WC makes a fine pistol and they are as reliable as any. I have been shooting 1911s since October of 1958. My experience with them leads me to believe that any quality 1911 of 4 inch or longer that does not require special recoil spring assemblies can run reliably for well over 1000 rounds without malfunction or cleaning. Just keep them oiled on the heavy side. I have owned WC, Baer, STI, Dan Wessons (both CZ and pre-CZ) as well as Colt and others. Get what you want, shoot it until YOU are satisfied with its reliability and call it good.

The only malfunctions I have are caused by out of spec reloads or mag issues (weak springs, worn followers, or damaged feed lips).

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Good recommendation...SiG uses Storm Lake barrels and Caspian slides/frames. Solid parts, well assembled...nice production guns.

Top Bottom