• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    After discovering my concealed holster doesn't lend itself well to re-holstering my gun, I've been looking into molded plastic holsters. Looking closer at their designs, I'm thinking I'd like to try making my own. I have considerable experience with thermoforming and basic construction.

The planned holster would be an IWB (small of back) style for my SIG Pro 2022. I would use .093" thick ABS and use a slightly wider belt button loop orientation for more stability than a standard single J or S hook.

Question: should i attempt to line the inside of the holster with nylon or other fabric to decrease the amount of wear on the finish?
    Capitol Armory ad

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Leather inside would ease the contact point marks but any holster is going to wear the finish on a gun with use.

Whatever material you go with it will be important to keep the inside of the holster clean. Dirts and particle things get inside and it will increase the wear. Do not use suede, the chrome tannins in the leather is harsh on a gun's finish. Stick with a veg tan lining if you go that route. I know there are a lot of folks who swear by suede lining in holsters, I'm not one and neither are the more experience makers I trust. Everyone uses what they're comfortable with.

jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you want to use kydex, you can get holster making supplies at knifekits.com.

I don't see any benefit to lining the inside. It would complicate construction, add one more thing that could go wrong, and you'd lose the advantages of a plastic holster.

All the plastic holster vendors claim that plastic wears less than leather. I don't know if it's true, but it sounds reasonable. The reality is that all holsters will cause wear. If you're worried about the finish on a gun getting worn, don't put it in any holster.

Are you aware of the risks of small of the back holsters? If you fall backwards while wearing one, you could end up with a serious spine injury. They print easily on some people. And it's easier to take someone else's gun from a SOB holster than one at their side. I'm not trying to tell you not to use one. I just hope you are aware of their disadvantages.

Top Bottom