Hurley's Gold

Considering Buying a Walther PPS for CC--Opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I'm considering buying a Walther PPS for concealed carry. If any of y'all have experience with this gun, I'd appreciate your input/opinions. Just so you know why I'm considering this particular weapon, I can't carry anything much bigger than a single-stack auto or a J-frame sized revolver because my hands are pretty small. I had a Hellcat and although it felt good in my hand, I sometimes had the problem that others have mentioned about getting my finger on the side of the trigger and not being able to pull it until I had completed removed my finger then moved it over on "top" of the safety lever. Also, even with my short thumbs, I rode the slide lock lever a couple of times and the slide didn't lock back after the last round. Maybe I could have cured these problems with enough training, but in an emergency situation I don't need potential problems. I've fired 50 rounds or so from a Sig 365, and the trigger was better than on the Hellcat, but it just didn't feel "right" in my hand and I didn't shoot it as accurately as the Hellcat.

Thanks in advance,

Cityboy
    Capitol Armory ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't have any direct experience with the PPS, but I have owned a few of the P99 series which it is based from. The P99 series of pistols are great and I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one because of that. They also have as great trigger as well. Very well made and quite accurate.

If the PPS is half the pistol the P99 series are, I'd definitely give it consideration.

The most important factor is, how well the pistol fits in your hand and how easy are the controls to operate. For a carry pistol, this needs to be almost second nature and as if the pistol was made for your hand. This leads to being a better shooter with practice with that pistol.It leads to better muscle memory in the unlikely event that you need to use the pistol, your sub-conscious takes over and it just becomes an automatic reaction on your part.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    My carry rotation is PPS M1, Glock 43 and Kimber Micro 9. The PPS has the most natural grip to me. The other two have the same capacity but seem a lot smaller.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’ve got a PPS M2 also.

It was my EDC until the world went to shit…so I now carry either a Sig SP2022 or G19 for the added capacity.

PPS out of the box has a better trigger than my Glock 19 w/McNally trigger.
    Easy to rack.
    Easy to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I don't have any direct experience with the PPS, but I have owned a few of the P99 series which it is based from. The P99 series of pistols are great and I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one because of that. They also have as great trigger as well. Very well made and quite accurate.

If the PPS is half the pistol the P99 series are, I'd definitely give it consideration.

The most important factor is, how well the pistol fits in your hand and how easy are the controls to operate. For a carry pistol, this needs to be almost second nature and as if the pistol was made for your hand. This leads to being a better shooter with practice with that pistol.It leads to better muscle memory in the unlikely event that you need to use the pistol, your sub-conscious takes over and it just becomes an automatic reaction on your part.
    Axxe55,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the PPS is the way to go. And I agree completely with everything you say in the last paragraph.

Cityboy

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I’ve got a PPS M2 also.

It was my EDC until the world went to shit…so I now carry either a Sig SP2022 or G19 for the added capacity.

PPS out of the box has a better trigger than my Glock 19 w/McNally trigger.
    Easy to rack.
    Easy to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    pronstar,

Thanks for your input--appreciate it.

Cityboy

thomasmuller

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2021
    DFW
    PPS is great...With the biggest magazine it comes with the grip is super comfortable. I'm pretty new to guns and it was one of the first guns I tried out. I ultimately went with something different, but I might circle around and grab one eventually.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX

I believe you are thinking of the PPQ. The PPQ is a fantastic pistol, definitely worthwhile. A PPS is a single stack. Very different pistol.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I'm considering buying a Walther PPS for concealed carry. If any of y'all have experience with this gun, I'd appreciate your input/opinions. Just so you know why I'm considering this particular weapon, I can't carry anything much bigger than a single-stack auto or a J-frame sized revolver because my hands are pretty small. I had a Hellcat and although it felt good in my hand, I sometimes had the problem that others have mentioned about getting my finger on the side of the trigger and not being able to pull it until I had completed removed my finger then moved it over on "top" of the safety lever. Also, even with my short thumbs, I rode the slide lock lever a couple of times and the slide didn't lock back after the last round. Maybe I could have cured these problems with enough training, but in an emergency situation I don't need potential problems. I've fired 50 rounds or so from a Sig 365, and the trigger was better than on the Hellcat, but it just didn't feel "right" in my hand and I didn't shoot it as accurately as the Hellcat.

Thanks in advance,

Cityboy
    I would try to use one at a range before you buy if you can. I honestly think the PPS isn't quite as relevant anymore with the 1.5 stack mag CC centric pistols. Glock 43x and MOS version with the S15 mags, S&W Shield Plus, P365/X and XL variants and Hellcat all out on the market, the PPS doesn't offer much. I owned one. It wasn't bad, but low cap single stack, reasonably comfortable, but not really any better to shoot than the named above, and had a meh trigger. I had a PPS M2, to be more clear with which version I had experience with. Not saying you'd go wrong with one, but for the money, I think newer options are a better choice.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom