• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRIXXTERR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Bertram,Tx Burnet,Tx
    OK, Hi all. My wife and I are considering getting our CHLs. I just have a few questions regarding the whole process and order of doing things.

So Do I need to take the class first and then do my app?
    Or
    do my app first and then the class?
    And
    whats the time frame to take the class or submit my app depending on which I do first..

Basically can someone walk me through the steps of me getting my CHL. :1zhelp:

B17-FE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    SE TEXAS
    CHL

Try this site.
    TCHA: Getting a CHL
    I did my DPS app. online ($142.00) and received the bar code receipt with the check list (print it out).
    My class doesn't come up for a couple weeks.
    You have to have All the items in the DPS hands for them to process.
    Hope this helps !
    Steve

TRIXXTERR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Bertram,Tx Burnet,Tx
    Cool, Thanks that is the kind of info I was looking for. Well it will be a lil bit before I can do it,My boss just called and they cut my hrs. Gees I need to find a FULLTIME job, this Parttime BS is for the birds..

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    I did it the way B17 is doing it. Filled out the app online, by the time I got the course done, app packet arrived in the mail. Packet comes w/instructions and a checklist. They offer discounts for certain groups, including veterans. But checklist did not include proof of special status, veteran. If it applies to you, throw in a copy of your DD-214 showing honorable discharge (long form).

Seal your packet when you mail it in, including tape on flaps for added security. I work or the PO (tech) and I sometimes spot app packets going out, going back. Once in a while I see someone sending a packet back where they just tuck the flap in!?!

Not that we're going to take a peek in there, but 99% of mail is machine processed. Machines can, and do, open up unsealed mailpieces.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You can take your class before you apply online, you can apply online then take the class, either way.

You do not have to wait for the Packet DPS sends you after you apply to take the class. However, you have to wait for that packet to arrive so you can remove items from it you need to send back to DPS along with your certificate of proficiency from the class.

Many instructors have packets on hand. You could take the class and just send your app in via mail with a check.

BT1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    USA
    ...Many instructors have packets on hand. You could take the class and just send your app in via mail with a check.

Which is how I did it years back. Very simple. All you have to do is show up with your gun and ID. They'll print you, take your photo, and give you the app and, if you're form challenged, show you how to fill it out so it won't get kicked back. At the end of the day, send the whole package in to DPS. One stop shopping.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Which is how I did it years back. Very simple. All you have to do is show up with your gun and ID. They'll print you, take your photo, and give you the app and, if you're form challenged, show you how to fill it out so it won't get kicked back. At the end of the day, send the whole package in to DPS. One stop shopping.

That's the way I teach it, automation may be easier for some, and I have had some students do it on line, I just like having everything in one place. Prints, photos, packets, notary, class, shooting quals., todo. No gun? I have plenty. No ammo? I got that too. I think people like the "One stop shopping"

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Like so many have said, you can do it either way. DPS changed the online registration process back on May 2, so the online process is now very simple. I can't confirm if one is any faster than the other, but the online method helps minimize keypunch errors and you end up with less physical paperwork to submit.

21Brutus

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Cypress
    And if you have an instructor like Tracy, he/she will walk you through what you do and do not submit. I did the online app, went to Tracy's class and had my CHL in 35 days. I don't know if it helped or not, but it seems quicker than others I have heard about lately....

21Brutus

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Cypress
    He as is you (Tracy), she as in (maybe their instructor would be a woman).....just answering specific to my experience and general to theirs....it was late on a Monday!!!

Top Bottom