• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    I have a 97' Sportster I've had for a number of years. It's got around 14,000 miles and I haven't ridden it much lately. I modded a good number of things on it but these were mostly bolt ons and cosmetic things. Mostly painting chrome things black. At any rate, I just thought I'd check interest and talk about the bike a bit. After getting pictures I realized I did a lot more than I had initially recalled.

S1.jpg S5.jpg S6.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Nice bike. Waiting on a "gifted" Sporty from my FIL. He has three HDs and doesn't ride his sportster much. Just gotta get it down from Wisconsin to Texas. Finally getting a bigger bike to be able to ride more and farther. My little Honda Rebel does well, just no oomph!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Definitely different than other sportster a I've seen. Nice bike, ya did good on the mods.

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad people seem to think it's a good looking bike. I've learned a lot working on it over time. I just don't feel as safe as I used to riding and I think the money would be better spent elsewhere. It's an 883, I believe all sportsters are belt driven from the factory unless they're converted. I was going to convert to a chain but I decided againt doing anything else to it for a while because as I mentioned, I'm thinking of selling it.

Things I've done:
    Relocated front signals from a nightster
    New air filter
    Drag bars
    nightster footpegs
    avon grips
    breather bolts for the heads
    new tires and powder coated the mag wheels
    black powder coated a bunch of factory things that were chrome
    New front brake line
    Relocated the ignition and coil
    Hand-cut and fitted spark plug cables for the coil relocation
    Tank lift, this made a smoother line with the tank and the drag bars. Instead of lowering the bars I raised the tank. This also gives a great place to hide all the wires I hacked up.
    The speedo is on the left portion of the bike.
    I think that's pretty much everything.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's a nice ride and I LOVE Sportsters! My 2006 XL 1200C is on my profile album.

Can't handle running with no front fender, though. Rocks and rain get thrown forward from the tire then it all smacks you in the face. It's not for me.

Flash

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    How serious are you about selling?

I'm about 70:30 on the sell side. I've never sold a vehicle so I'd like to build my knowledge on that process a bit more so that I can ensure both parties are satisfied with the transaction.

Can't handle running with no front fender, though. Rocks and rain get thrown forward from the tire then it all smacks you in the face. It's not for me.

I still have the front fender as well as the factory his/hers seat. I think I also have the sissy bar/ back rest thing that is stock with the bike as well. Those things may not be the best lookers but they are too functional to throw away.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    [QUOTE vaquero;864474]How serious are you about selling?[/QUOTE]

I'm tripple dog'n you on this pard.. mines a 96 (fyi 94 on were belt) I've also got a front fender, two up seat, and quality HD sissy bar.. This thing is a beaut Lee, I'd talk turkey with him.. 4K new, you never get your money out of add ons ( I'm on sporty four, with two FX, one FL) but this one is high end.. you know what I paid for mine.. DO IT LOP!!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've owned a Hell of a lot of motorcycles in 50 years of riding but that XL1200C is absolutely my favorite of all of them! Sportsters rule!

Flash

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I've owned a Hell of a lot of motorcycles in 50 years of riding but that XL1200C is absolutely my favorite of all of them! Sportsters rule!
    Flash

Amen to my friend Roger.. i'm now on HD number 7, four of which have been Sporsters..I also have 50 years of riding, including a couple years where motorcycle was my only means of transportation.. LOT'S off 'metric' bikes, most of them good some of them (1980 Yamaha 1100) wonderful, there's a 'heft' to a Harley that's ddiffrent than other bikes, and a dependability that's for real the best in the industry.. yes everyone's got a Harley in the shop story.. antidotes don't count.. facts do.. other brands wind up in junk yards, you CAN NOT find a Harley in a junk yard.. they go forever.. and the sportster (MHO stuff) offers the best dollar value in the line up.. there's a reason so many of us wind up with the bar and shield on our skin (3times) whens the last time you saw anyone sporting a Honda or Yamaha tat..?

Last edited:

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    +1 on that. Currently, my little Honda rebel is going on 10y and has close to 18k miles, mostly from me riding over the last 6 years (bought used with only 124 mi) on it. Bullet proof and easy to work on. Once my FIL can get me the Sporty he is gifting to me, I'll be able to have the Harley experience as well! Although the missus may frown at getting a tattoo.:rolleyes:

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    +1 on that. Currently, my little Honda rebel is going on 10y and has close to 18k miles, mostly from me riding over the last 6 years (bought used with only 124 mi) on it. Bullet proof and easy to work on. Once my FIL can get me the Sporty he is gifting to me, I'll be able to have the Harley experience as well! Although the missus may frown at getting a tattoo.:rolleyes:

Not sure if they made the rebel in the 400/450, or only the 250 i'm sure of.. the Honda in lines are great engines, I had a CM400 forever ago, actually had it twice, parked outside a bar, came out to find it had been stolen.. Recovered by police 6 months later (never got the dets) i had another scoot by then so gave it to a gf .. she still had it when we broke up.. things probabley still putting somewhere down in Tucson.. i did like that bike..

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Not sure if they made the rebel in the 400/450, or only the 250 i'm sure of.. the Honda in lines are great engines, I had a CM400 forever ago, actually had it twice, parked outside a bar, came out to find it had been stolen.. Recovered by police 6 months later (never got the dets) i had another scoot by then so gave it to a gf .. she still had it when we broke up.. things probabley still putting somewhere down in Tucson.. i did like that bike..

They made a 450 in the mid 80s, but only for 2 years. Many are running still, just tough getting parts, depending on what you need to fix/replace.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    They made a 450 in the mid 80s, but only for 2 years. Many are running still, just tough getting parts, depending on what you need to fix/replace.

Not going to hijack the OP.. consider it a 'related' bump, lol.. my CM 400 (not sure why they made a 400, & a 450) was the same as a rebel minus tach, and badging.. big wide tires, a classic UJM.. rode it all over AZ including from Tucson to PHX for my grandma's birthday.. and after I gave it to my gf we continued to make long bike camping trips, to SW AZ, to SE AZ.. hundreds of hard miles, never missed a beat, not fast, but that little 400 was dead even with my cousins new 350 Corvette (a dog) up to like 60mph.. honestly only problem was the buzzzzzzing..

Top Bottom