• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    IIRC, it's as simple as swapping out the .30-06 barrel for a .308 barrel, and possibly installing an adjustable gas plug if you're worried about over/under-gassing the system. Might also need a spacer block for the mag well (some people say the en-bloc clips don't have any trouble feeding the shorter rounds, others have issues).

Barrels can be had for around $200-$250, the spacer blocks are $20-30. Not sure about the adjustable gas plug though.

Far as finding a smith to do the work, I'd imagine that anyone with experience working on Garands could do the job for you.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    IIRC, it's as simple as swapping out the .30-06 barrel for a .308 barrel, and possibly installing an adjustable gas plug if you're worried about over/under-gassing the system. Might also need a spacer block for the mag well (some people say the en-bloc clips don't have any trouble feeding the shorter rounds, others have issues).

Barrels can be had for around $200-$250, the spacer blocks are $20-30. Not sure about the adjustable gas plug though.

Far as finding a smith to do the work, I'd imagine that anyone with experience working on Garands could do the job for you.

You don't need the block - that's a safety feature to keep knuckleheads from stuffing .30-06 into the rifle.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Would be a much better idea to get a new .308 and avoid being limited to 8 round mags. You don't gain anything moving from .30-06 to .308.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My very first Garand was a Springfield Armory built on a GI receiver. It shot great but I can't say that it was better than some of the 30-06 rifles that I've had.

The Garand is a very fussy rifle that requires a good sling and consistent technique. Everything that you do in hold or sling use changes point of impact. I shot Garands in NRA 200 yard competition for a long time and while I love the rifles, I got fed up with the fussy nature of the rifles.

I'd suggest that you pick up an M1A in 308 instead. The cost will be about the same and you'll shoot better with it. The M1A has a shorter operating rod, it's less vulnerable to op rod damage, uses replaceable box magazines and it's a more consistent rifle.

Be warned, however. I've had National Match Garands, a full match, pedal to the medal M1A and none of them would shoot with a decent AR-15 A2 in 20" bull barrel from 200 to 600 yards.

Flash

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My very first Garand was a Springfield Armory built on a GI receiver. It shot great but I can't say that it was better than some of the 30-06 rifles that I've had.

The Garand is a very fussy rifle that requires a good sling and consistent technique. Everything that you do in hold or sling use changes point of impact. I shot Garands in NRA 200 yard competition for a long time and while I love the rifles, I got fed up with the fussy nature of the rifles.

I'd suggest that you pick up an M1A in 308 instead. The cost will be about the same and you'll shoot better with it. The M1A has a shorter operating rod, it's less vulnerable to op rod damage, uses replaceable box magazines and it's a more consistent rifle.

Be warned, however. I've had National Match Garands, a full match, pedal to the medal M1A and none of them would shoot with a decent AR-15 A2 in 20" bull barrel from 200 to 600 yards.

Flash

I believe in the last year or two the AMU has switched to AR10 platform in service rifle and cleaned house as usual at camp perry.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i'm really not trying to be snarky with my response here - but this is exactly why i didnt answer the "why do you want to do this" question

i wasn't asking for advice on what i should do differently - or why i shouldnt do what i asked

i just asked if anybody knew of a place in the dallas area that did it

appreciate all the input tho

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    No need to get butt hurt over it. I was merely curious as to your reason for converting when there is no added benefit. That being said smith's that are familiar with the Garand style actions are getting harder to find these days and parts for the platform aren't getting any cheaper. I would likely look at sending it to one of the big garand particular shops or one of the barrel makers that works on them.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    Not Dallas but you might give Eric a call at National Match Armory in Burleson. They also have a website. Just a FYI some find his personality a little.....challenging.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Not Dallas but you might give Eric a call at National Match Armory in Burleson. They also have a website. Just a FYI some find his personality a little.....challenging.

thanks - the link to Shuff's is an option

also found that McClellands in Dallas can do it - although i have to talk to the gunsmith to confirm

Ray's does not, nor does Doc

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    just dont want to wade thru the unsolicited advice!

This is a Forum and while we try to stay reasonably close to the OP post, no one orders us what to say or think.

Don't worry, pal, you won't get any more unsolicited advice from this member.

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom