• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    This past weekend I managed to bag 6 good sized birds. Does anyone have any suggestions on preparing and grilling or baking these birds?
    DK Firearms

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    You can cook them the same way as chicken, but they will be drier especially the breast. When cooking whole, I used to put bacon strips on the breast and lemon or orange pieces inside. The best way however is cut up and braised. That is, browned in a skillet, then about an inch or so of liquid added, covered and cooked on low. What you use for liquid is up to your taste. Plain water with some veggies and potatoes works. I like a bit of beef or chicken stock and some white wine with potatoes and mushrooms and perhaps some carrots. For some reason, onion doesn't seem to work well, but maybe that's just my taste.

So were did you hunt these? Game farm I'm guessing as the wild bird season doesn't open until December.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Good looking birds
    IMG_5495.jpg

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    How long will they stay if in a ziplock soaking in the fridge. Shot them saturday. Was going to cook tonight or can I get another day out of them?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Easy another day or so. There are some (Europeans) that hang them out doors, un-cleaned, un-plucked for a week or so. They say it tenderizes and flavors the meat. I'm not in that camp, but just think about chicken you buy at the Krogers. It's probably 3-5 days old when you buy it, and then you bring it home and think nothing about keeping it a day or so before cooking.

Top Bottom