ARJ Defense ad

Cool stuff found on the ground Arrowheads, Artifacts and more...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Found an Arrowhead last weekend. Usually they are broke, but this one is decent. The only other whole one I've found is the small bird point. Over the course of my life these are all that I have found. Found my first broken one at age 10 and have obsessed about them since. All have been found within 100 feet of each other. I know there are more and I'll keep looking for as long as I am alive.
    20220126_174119.jpg
    20220126_174147.jpg

So what cool stuff have you dug up? Artifacts? Coins? Old bullets from battles? Meteorites? Show and tell.
    Target Sports

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Here some stuff I have handy. Got a box of cool stuff in the attic.
    Closest Ive gotten to arrow heads was a buried pile of broken Obsidian had to be where someone was making some. Being on a Mule deer hunt I didnt have much time to look.
    The brown chunk is molted something very heavy.
    That 45 Colt case is def from the era.
    Others are military with the live 50 Cal.

Attachments

• 20220126_180624.jpg
      20220126_180624.jpg
      473 KB · Views: 59

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Here some stuff I have handy. Got a box of cool stuff in the attic.
    Closest Ive gotten to arrow heads was a buried pile of broken Obsidian had to be where someone was making some. Being on a Mule deer hunt I didnt have much time to look.
    The brown chunk is molted something very heavy.
    That 45 Colt case is def from the era.
    Others are military with the live 50 Cal.
    As a kid I should have kept all the old little bottles we would find. Unfortunately they looked like targets to us and none survived.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My wife's stepfather grew up in a Boy Scout camp that his father ran. Over his childhood, he collected at least a dozen large boxes of arrowheads and such. I know this because I helped him move and those boxes were heavy. A few years after that my wife mentioned something about the arrowheads and her mother told her that he had sold them to some guy for $100. A box? No, the entire collection. Reportedly the buyer was selling arrowheads for $5 a piece. Her stepfather is one of those guys who's convinced he's smarter than anybody, but the list of dumb stuff he's done would run in volumes.

Back in my pipeline days, we used to get taken to a deer lease that at one time was used to train pilots for WWII. Big parts of the ranch were littered with 50 caliber brass and some unfired 50's. Occasionally you could find small, unexploded bombs (I think they had paint in them). We were warned to stay away from those. You could still see long lines of rocks with rocks organized into words like "No Pass" and some fake bridges. There was an observation area where they would score the strafing and bombing runs.

Also back in my pipeline days, we would occasionally have construction projects up in some rural states and I'd hear one of the old timers saying, "We had a blast when we built through there back in '46. Found all kinds of arrowheads and skulls and such." I hated that because I had to report it to the environmental inspectors. Construction projects would be held up while the state historic preservation people conducted surveys for burial grounds and such. Where that used to be just neat things to find, now it's considered akin to grave robbing and you have to turn over the stuff you find.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I used to find Apache tears in my back yard in Phoenix. They are obsidian pebbles polished relatively smooth. Dozens and dozens. Everytime we dug a hole as a kids you would find some.

Not worth much but people make jewelry out of them and sell them for a few bucks.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Well over 100 golf balls over the course of 20 years. The last house I had built was originally pasture at the end of the road. The last house on the road was owned by a drug dealer that enjoyed hitting golf balls several years before I came along. The land was black gumbo so those balls would disappear when it dried out and cracked. I bought the land and built a house on one acre. As the gumbo would dry and get wet, it would eventually push those balls to the surface.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Slightly off topic - There was this co-worker that was one of the founders of the company I work for. His family owned a ranch that included Enchanted Rock. The amount of artifacts he had was pretty amazing.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Hey! That’s a real find; the sole off the huarache of an illegal who ran across the border. Not to worry, he probably has a new pair of $800 Luccheses courtesy of Biden.
    More than likely. There are a lot of immigrant drivers not securing loads on I-45. I see it almost everyday.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    The remnants of an old wagon road from 1850 goes through my property. They moved the road about 1900 to a better creek crossing a few hundred yards down the creek. When I was using my dozer to build a driveway I unearthed an old box stove leg in the old wagon road. Somewhere at least 120 years ago some family got where they were going and found they had lost a stove leg. I still have the old stove leg on a shelf in my home office.

Top Bottom