• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The cop gets the same due process, but due process isn't a factor in someone's employment is the point I'm trying to make. I can do something at work that's legally right, but morally bankrupt and lose my job. How is it any different for a police officer? Many (I'd bet most) of us don't get a review board at work to determine if we'll be disciplined if we screw up, or what that discipline will be.

Point being: you don't need to be proven guilty in a court of law to be stripped of your badge. At least, you shouldn't have to be. Unfortunately, that's about what it takes in CA. Texas is a lot more reasonable about dealing with things like this IMO. I'm not really even talking about the criminal charges that this guy is going to have to face... yet. But IMO he really shouldn't be a cop anymore.

The reason it is different for a police officer is that he is asked to do things that people in other jobs are not. There are much greater responsibilities placed on cops than most others. So there are some different rules that coorespond with that arangement.

I agree with you that you dont need to be found guilty in court to loose your job...i wouldnt support that.

As far as California that you keep referring to...Those guys (in metro cities in CA) face the steepest uphill fight of nearly any cops. Their hands are practically tied behind their backs and they have a ton of liberal politicians hacking away at their authority on a routine basis. (not to mention a dozen news choppers always lurking to film and and pick apart the slightest aggresive move they make.) And Californians wonder why LA county is like it is??? Hmmmmm..

Look...I wasnt naive, but I wasnt a cop till i was 30, and after I became one I was in for a education that blew my mind. Those that haven't done the job will have a hard time grasping whats its like to be tasked with the things most cops are throw into doing.

I think I have got way off track......
    Target Sports

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think some times we over analyze things that don't need it. I think we all agree that the officer kicked the suspect in the face and that that was wrong. I also think that this is going to be an endless argument. IMHO And one more thing, some cops are good some cops are bad it is the same with welders and any other profession so lets try not to lump everyone in the same category. I'm not saying anyone has, I just see it heading in that direction.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think some times we over analyze things that don't need it. I think we all agree that the officer kicked the suspect in the face and that that was wrong. I also think that this is going to be an endless argument. IMHO And one more thing, some cops are good some cops are bad it is the same with welders and any other profession so lets try not to lump everyone in the same category. I'm not saying anyone has, I just see it heading in that direction.

You are correct about the overanalyzation......

And you are correct, there are good cops and bad. I look at the video we have been discussing and scratch my head and wonder, "Dude, what were you thinking".
    And for the record, I don't always defend the boys in blue. I actually have an issue with some of the training that usually comes out of some larger departments, with regard to instilling in the officer a bit too much of a "warrior" (for lack of a better word) mentality. I DO think it is a war out there, but the crappy attitude that alot of cops have is instilled from their academy or their immediate supervisors. I often wish you could interview a guy on his first day on the job and show him that interview 5 years later, and see if he recognizes himself. In lots of cases he wouldn't.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The "high five" at the end can be interpreted as a bad thing. Remember these officers rely one each other for back up. The "team" concept is one that lends its self to "high fives". Just because he is celebrating does not mean he is celebrating the distribution of "street justice". He is likely celebrating sucess. They caught the bad buy, period.

As for the kick to the face. As a veteren LEO and trainer, I know that just because the guy is proned out does not mean he is done fighting. When approaching a proned out suspect, an officer should insure he still has the element of surprise for the moment of first contact. That is the instant you are most likely to receive resistance. If the BG knows when you are about to lay hands on him, he has an advantage. The BG would be given commands to look away. If he does not do so, the officer cannot safely approach. WTS, he should not have approached, he should have waited a few more seconds for the back up officers to get on the scene before getting within kicking range.

Bad call on his part. Not because the helicopter is overhead, but because it was the wrong thing to do. Emotions must be kept in check while on duty. Should he lose his job? IMHO no. Should he be disciplined/counseled? Of course.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    "Most people do not start fighting until they hear the jingle of the cuffs" That is what I have been told. I fully believe it to. I think some sensitivity training is in order.

jamesmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Cleburne Texas
    "Most people do not start fighting until they hear the jingle of the cuffs" That is what I have been told. I fully believe it to. I think some sensitivity training is in order.

Your right ,I have arrested a few that want to fight after they are cuffed, they spit on you and call you all kinds of names. I think some try to provoke you where you will do something so they can sue you.
    People like that we would strap them in a chair in a padded room naked and turn the air down low. you will be suprised how fast it calms them down.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    It is business not personal.

There is something that is missed here and that is the impact on the officer if he allows each arrest, chase to bring on rage, that follows
    him home into his personal life with wife and children. Not sure what current divorce rate is with law enforcement but I know its high.
    If they(officers) are to survive long term it must be a job not a way of life.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom