• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    In academia, citing your sources and giving them full credit helps avoid plagiarism and legalities. I've always wondered why that didn't work in situations like this. Yeah, I understand it's different. Guess I'm just simple.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    In academia, citing your sources and giving them full credit helps avoid plagiarism and legalities. I've always wondered why that didn't work in situations like this. Yeah, I understand it's different. Guess I'm just simple.

Citing a source and wholesale reproduction are two different things entirely.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Be like selling pics or videos that have been pirated and tell the buyers that its ok, MGM made the movie so it's OK

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If you really want to understand the world of copyright violations as both civil and criminal then spend you time looking at Harley Davidson and their war (and it was a war) on those who violated HD's domain. Mostly is affected motorcycle shops that did not have a license to sell HD products, and they use of logo's on T shirts and various products.

HD had never pursued violations over the many decades they had been in business. Then in the late 80's they realized they were losing $ tens of millions $. So they sent out thousands of letters to 'cease and desist'. Most shops and repair houses changed names, logos etc, but more than a few fought them. There were HD shops that had been in business for 30, 40 years or more and they fought HD, they also lost.

This made HD happy and certainly made the authorized HD dealers very happy. Dealers make very little money on HD cycles, where their profit comes from is the T-shirt and add on chrome sales. HD itself makes money off the cycle and off royalties paid to use their logos.

The TGT forum has done the right thing in its statement on its position of © infringement. This shows that the forum has a policy on © infringement. Which is the first line of protection by the owner. As for getting sued (civil) extremely unlikely to ever happen on a forum such as this and even less likely that any criminal actions would ever happen. Both criminal and civil intent in the context of this and most forums out there would never make it to a court room and no has to hire a lawyer to respond to a cease and desist letter, unless you chose to not comply with the request.

Rest easy my friends and stay thirsty...

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I’m more inclined to read a linked article that is posted when the poster paraphrases or gives their own summary of the linked article because critical thinking is involved.

Same here, I think I've just been trained not to click on links without some some sort of indication of what to expect. Passed up 2 this morning.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If the concern is the EU's stupid Copyright Directive, why not just block all IPs outside the US?
    I don't think TGT really wants to contribute to the Balkanization of the internet so blocking all IPs outside the US is just untenable. At least that's the way I feel. Our member from Switzerland, for example, has made some really great contributions.

However, folks way above my pay grade may have to revisit that. The EU Copyright Directive has passed and it will be a nightmare for the EU. I have no doubt that many, many interests will try to import that nightmare into North America.

When that happens, I might just live on Tor.

For folks who don't know what the EU Copyright Directive is, here's a short video. Listen to the end for his analysis of how this will spread beyond the EU and why those of us outside the EU should be concerned.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just watched a Sargon video on the subject. This info may also be in the vid Ben posted above.

But what will really cause some issues (according to the Sargon vid) is that article 13 isn’t actually a law. It’s a directive that forces each country in the EU to meet its requirements inside their own legal systems. So it’s really going to be a whole bunch of different laws in each country that may have different requirements and penalties depending on how each country feels they can best conform to the referendum/directive or whatever you might call it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't think TGT really wants to contribute to the Balkanization of the internet so blocking all IPs outside the US is just untenable.
    The onus should be on them to block us from their countries if we're so offensive to them, but that's not how this will go down. We'll have to protect our freedoms from external legal threats.

I don't want to restrict the flow of information and conversation either, but we might have to protect our digital borders. So what's the strategy?

I have no doubt that many, many interests will try to import that nightmare into North America.

When that happens, I might just live on Tor.
    Fair use and free speech is pretty well defined here, but in a practical sense it's already here. The big companies like Google (YouTube), Twitter, and Facebook have already written most of it into their policies. They have no interest in just following US law, and want to be globalists.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They have no interest in just following US law, and want to be globalists.
    And yet we still have people so short-sighted that they deny the way the real world works and continue to fall back on "But only the government can violate your rights to free speech! Companies can do anything they want!"
    So what's the strategy?
    I don't know. I assume that somewhere way up the food chain, at the level where people actually get paid, there are folks thinking about it. I'll never be consulted, that's for sure.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I feel like we're watching the birth of the dystopian cyberpunk future.

We are, and we’re living it. Without a doubt.

I don’t watch tv unless I’m in public, i.e. the Dr’s office, etc. I watched Hunger Games a few years ago with the wife and the scenes where the citizens were watching the games looked eerily similar to today’s society.

Top Bottom