Join TexasGunTalk

Copyright violations

Discussion in 'Announcements & Comments' started by TheDan, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If you really want to understand the world of copyright violations as both civil and criminal then spend you time looking at Harley Davidson and their war (and it was a war) on those who violated HD's domain. Mostly is affected motorcycle shops that did not have a license to sell HD products, and they use of logo's on T shirts and various products.

HD had never pursued violations over the many decades they had been in business. Then in the late 80's they realized they were losing $ tens of millions $. So they sent out thousands of letters to 'cease and desist'. Most shops and repair houses changed names, logos etc, but more than a few fought them. There were HD shops that had been in business for 30, 40 years or more and they fought HD, they also lost.

This made HD happy and certainly made the authorized HD dealers very happy. Dealers make very little money on HD cycles, where their profit comes from is the T-shirt and add on chrome sales. HD itself makes money off the cycle and off royalties paid to use their logos.

The TGT forum has done the right thing in its statement on its position of © infringement. This shows that the forum has a policy on © infringement. Which is the first line of protection by the owner. As for getting sued (civil) extremely unlikely to ever happen on a forum such as this and even less likely that any criminal actions would ever happen. Both criminal and civil intent in the context of this and most forums out there would never make it to a court room and no has to hire a lawyer to respond to a cease and desist letter, unless you chose to not comply with the request.

Rest easy my friends and stay thirsty...

2. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I bet the cease and desist letters would stop if you blocked all IPs outside of Texas ;)

3. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    Same here, I think I've just been trained not to click on links without some some sort of indication of what to expect. Passed up 2 this morning.

Bozz10mm likes this.