• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    "All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."

How does this apply when we are linking news stories in threads here in the forums? Are we breaking the copyright laws when we post a link and/or paste the actual article into our posts?
    Guns International

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    "All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."

How does this apply when we are linking news stories in threads here in the forums? Are we breaking the copyright laws when we post a link and/or paste the actual article into our posts?

I don't think you are breaking the law to distribute a link to a public web site. Anyone can find the site by googling. If you copy paste the articals that might be a different issue.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    that was a good question I had recently when I read an article on uscca and wanted to post on a forum. Thanks for the info

philbo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Houston

Hypertext linking by itself has not been found to violate copyright law in those instances when the reader is linked to the original website displaying the original work by the original author. If the link omits information like advertising, or author credits, then the link could be considered as an infringement.

If you decide to cut & paste, Fair Use may be an affirmative defense to reproducing a portion of another's work without express permission, but tread carefully. Education, scholarship, and criticism have often been found to be favored uses of the Fair Use doctrine, but only when the amount borrowed is not excessive... i.e. copying a few sentences of an article that links to the original work has been ok. Copying the whole article would not be covered by Fair Use without the original authors permission, regardless of of the intended use. Whether one is making money off it is not the determining factor.

Top Bottom