Coronavirus Epidemic, Part 2

dsgrey

Oct 25, 2015
Denton County
That also can impact viewership, which means media companies take a hit on revenue sharing and ad money. Q3 advertising dollars are already shrinking, so that is icing on the cake for me.
My daughter works for a decent sized ad company - print, TV, radio, etc. They've already taken a big hit and expect more. Clients are cutting back expenses so the ad company has already performed it's first round of layoffs and salary deductions.

roadkill

Well-Known
Jul 5, 2013
In regard to sports I don’t think we will see college football this year and I have my doubts on all stick & ball sports. Baseball has a chance but it’s gonna be difficult with the others.

NFL has published some of its “Covid” rules. I believe they said no jersey swaps between rival players after the game and no socializing between opposing players after the game??? Let that soak in.........

We gonna beat, bang, spit, sweat, $ bleed on each other for 4 quarters but we can swap jerseys or visit after the game. I don’t see this happening.
Wonder what will happen to the foosball scholarship recipients if they can’t play cause the season was cancelled. They still get the free money or are they on the hook for the education they couldn’t afford without the ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Green

Wife, kids, ARs, Glocks and Jeeps. What a life!
TGT Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
College Station
Now back to your regular scheduled programming, I’m hopeful all the major pro and college sports sit out the season.

Not that I don’t enjoy some UT and A&M football, but it should serve as a reminder that in the end, these things are just games.
View attachment 219452
I’ll say it again, schools just educate. Drop all sports programs and educate instead. Highest paid state employee in almost every state is head football coach at one of the big universities. Reading some of the tweets of the A&M quarterback concerning Sully and BLM further cements this idea for me.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
May 8, 2017
Johnson County, TX
I’ll say it again, schools just educate. Drop all sports programs and educate instead. Highest paid state employee in almost every state is head football coach at one of the big universities. Reading some of the tweets of the A&M quarterback concerning Sully and BLM further cements this idea for me.
Sports have become an enormous source of revenue for these schools. That’s why the coaches are paid so much. Unlike the Transitional Gender Racial Equality Professors, Football coaches generate a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
And there’s the conflict of interest. Higher education is being managed to generate profits that subsidize/offset losses.

In a perfect world, I would get all sports except intramurals into amateur/developmental leagues, leaving colleges and universities to educate.

If an educational program can’t generate enough demand, it should be replaced by programs that will. What this should result in is what higher education looked like for most of it’s history in the US.

As a nation, we are over-educated and under-skilled. Most roles in the US don’t require a bachelor’s degree; it’s a requirement solely as a discriminator.

etmo

Jan 25, 2020
Cedar Creek, Tx
As a nation, we are over-educated
Have to say I disagree. Americans as a group simply don't know how to think, and teaching critical thinking is among the most important jobs that should be performed by an educational system.

If; however, you're saying that Americans have attended a lot of school but somehow missed out on getting educated, then I do agree.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
...Americans have attended a lot of school but somehow missed out on getting educated, then I do agree.

We’re in agreement.

Top Bottom