• ...and so much more!
  • MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    Can we get back to the virus thread now? We’ve all been sick and yes it sucks.

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    "We’ve all been sick..."

Not 'all' of us.
    28BD8DD0-3F38-475A-9936-A4D1E3593F4E.jpeg

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    When I saw the type O blood thing several weeks back like some I went to find out my blood type. I’ve never donated blood but I’ve got several analysis to refer too and I couldn’t locate my blood type in all the numbers. Reached out to my PCP & the NP informed me they don’t check for blood type when they run these test. I found that kind of odd that they’d run a completed analysis of my blood but the type was never documented. The NP suggested I go donate blood and they’d tell me what type I’ve got. Probably time I start donating blood anyway.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Yes it is but they prefer type specific. They'll use others in extreme emergency. If I had been bleeding and AB+ wasn't available they would have probably given me 0 Negative.
    Well, that blows up some stuff I learned way back in Biology class. I thought that the Rh factor HAD to match, so you could get O+, but O=???
    You have a pretty rare type, you should be able to enjoy that.
    1603541704521.png

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    The NP suggested I go donate blood and they’d tell me what type I’ve got. Probably time I start donating blood anyway.
    Yes, they do. And yes, you should. They even started giving cholesterol numbers the last few times I went. This was in WA, but they also gave points each donation and you could turn those into gift cards, movie tickets and such. I always forgot to use them so they all aged out. Dang.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Well, that blows up some stuff I learned way back in Biology class. I thought that the Rh factor HAD to match, so you could get O+, but O=???
    You have a pretty rare type, you should be able to enjoy that.
    View attachment 231555

If you are Rh +, you can get Rh -. Rh- is the absence of a protein. If you are Rh-, and get Rh+ blood, you will develop an antibody and immune response to Rh + blood. If memory serves, its a mild reaction and really only truly important in Rh- women who have Rh+ babies (and why they get Rhogam injections if they could have been exposed).

A, and B are a little different in that people innately have antibodies to ones they don’t have (I’m A+, and I have antibodies to B antigen even though I’ve never been exposed to B blood). I don’t remember why this is. That’s why A and B reactions can be life threatening. Most blood tranfusion have some immune reaction, and if you get get blood you developed antibodies to other antigens or proteins on blood cells.

I’m not convinced on convalescent plasma, largely because transfusions have many negative effects, and the trend is to transfuse less nowadays.

You can ask your PCP to order a type and screen or give blood. I’m not aware of many general medical therapies that require to know the blood type other than transfusion.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...You can ask your PCP to order a type and screen or give blood. I’m not aware of many general medical therapies that require to know the blood type other than transfusion.
    Unless things have changed, in a clinical setting you’re going to get typed if it’s important to the treatment protocol anyways.

In a battlefield setting, that’s kind if tough, so a couple years ago, 75th Ranger Regiment figured out there was a growing need for whole blood transfusions on the battlefield and in addition to carrying SWB or plasma, it was also efficient to focus on low titer O transfusions, so they ID the donors in advance and spread them among the units to enable direct transfusions.

That protocol led to a Dept of the Army innovation award and success on the battlefield just a few months later.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Unless things have changed, in a clinical setting you’re going to get typed if it’s important to the treatment protocol anyways.

In a battlefield setting, that’s kind if tough, so a couple years ago, 75th Ranger Regiment figured out there was a growing need for whole blood transfusions on the battlefield and in addition to carrying SWB or plasma, it was also efficient to focus on low titer O transfusions, so they ID the donors in advance and spread them among the units to enable direct transfusions.

That protocol led to a Dept of the Army innovation award and success on the battlefield just a few months later.

Let me rephrase. Treatment of common medical problems of CHF, COPD, DM2, HTN, CVA, and RA, I don’t care what blood type they are. If they are getting a transfusion, they get typed and crossed unless it is an emergency. My point was that people getting “complete blood work” often don’t get type and screened, because it doesn’t effect what most PCPs do.

My experience with military medicine is quite minimal (had a few rotations at an active duty military hospital in medical school). I know they give whole blood. . .but I don’t pretend to know how the military does it’s thing. And that is cool.

Last edited:

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    All I know is there sure is a lot of focus on a supposed virus with about a tenth of a percent mortality rate...this is what they wanted. Imagine if the virus was not so sensationalized. A lot of this crazy shit wouldn’t be tolerated. I wish people would wake up!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    When I saw the type O blood thing several weeks back like some I went to find out my blood type. I’ve never donated blood but I’ve got several analysis to refer too and I couldn’t locate my blood type in all the numbers. Reached out to my PCP & the NP informed me they don’t check for blood type when they run these test. I found that kind of odd that they’d run a completed analysis of my blood but the type was never documented. The NP suggested I go donate blood and they’d tell me what type I’ve got. Probably time I start donating blood anyway.
    Join the military. Free blood type test is included.

Top Bottom