Dallas
    Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Sounds pretty benign, but how much does it suck for the 97.8% while they survive it?

From a healthcare POV, 2.2 deaths per 100 infected is pretty high and necessitates drastic measures to contain it...hence what we have today with coronavirus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    ...flu mortality rate is 0.05% of those infected.

Coronavirus mortality rate is 2.2%, so it’s 44% more deadly than the flu.

Assuming those mortality rates are accurate, then Coronavirus is 44 X more deadly, not 44% more deadly.

2.2% is 4,400% of 0.05%, for an increase in the mortality rate of 4,300%.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Assuming those mortality rates are accurate, then Coronavirus is 44 X more deadly, not 44% more deadly.

2.2% is 4,400% of 0.05%, for an increase in the mortality rate of 4,300%.

tenor.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Small sample size warning, but FWIW

I spoke with a friend yesterday morning who has lived and worked for the World Bank based out of Hong Kong for the past 11 years.
    She believes the death numbers are probably a bit higher than have been reported, because so many in mainland China just locked themselves inside and may well be dead in their homes. There is, she says, a decent amount of distrust of their hospital system's protocols, so not a lot, but more than a small %age of people wouldn't go to the hospital until it was obvious they were dying.

There are quarantines in place in many areas -- my friend can only leave her apartment for 30 minutes per day (and those 30 minutes are pre-determined so as to stagger the crowds), otherwise she can be arrested. She is required to wear a surgical mask during those 30 minutes outside. Those 30 minutes are primarily for her to go shopping for food / water / etc, and distribution of food and other supplies is being very tightly monitored by the government.

She can only work from home (and fortunately she can do some work from home) since she's not a hospital worker or farmer or policeman or other "essential" personnel.

She says protective face masks are impossible to come by, as supplies have been completely depleted. Packages which are believed to contain face masks often do not arrive at their destinations, and she had to have some mailed to her, hidden in a box of clothing, from a colleague in Bangladesh.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    How do they know that she has/has not been out of her apartment for more than 30 minutes?

She says they probably don't, it's done by ID. Her government-issued ID has an ID code, and that code has been assigned, along with others, to a certain time slot. So you could, theoretically, go outside any time you want, but police now have a primary duty of asking people to show their ID, and confirming they're allowed to be outside during that time slot. The police are hanging around markets and train stations and the lobbies of huge living complexes and other places where people would want to go, and it's not a polite "Excuse me, sir, may I ask to see your ID?" -- it's a "Everyone in this store, face the wall with your hands in the air and have your ID in your right hand, failure to comply will make you subject to immediate detention", then they'd sweep the entire store.

Also, there's tons of electronic surveillance in all the decent commercial areas of Hong Kong, so you could easily be spotted on video if you were out hanging around for hours. Your ID in Hong Kong is tied to many things -- access to certain buildings, certain aspects of public transportation, the banking system, so they might have computer programs running to check if you bought something at store X and then bought something else at store Y more than 30 minutes later.

The world is watching China, and the ChiCom government is very sensitive about their image -- this is a black eye for them, and they want to come down hard, crush this bug, and show the world they can take care of their backyard.

So, maybe easy to cheat the system, but this program is under the direct supervision of the mainland because of the international image issue, meaning the potential for heavy-handed enforcement is always hanging overhead, which also means the cost of bribes is probably way, way up. If you were to get thrown in jail for breaking quarantine, it would not be a pleasant stay with 3 hot meals, cable TV, and bleeding-heart liberal lawyers fighting for your rights.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    I saw a video that supposedly showed entry/exit doors to apartment blocks being welded shut. Someone got close enough to video one of the doors after welding and just looking at it though crappy cell video one good donkey kick would break the weld. One is a beam with a bolt and nut bridging the gap with a boogered tac weld holding each joint together.

First guess is they are trying to secure all the doors but one on each building to better control the movement of folks. Did that shit in the barracks all the time. Alarm the side doors or have duties standing by them or on the catwalk entries to force residents and guests to go though the main door and by the duty Sgt.

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    its China's approach to combat global warming reduce world population by 2/3's with this virus.
    Definitely a theory floating around. Would a govt. Kill it's own people? Would we give poisoned blankets to injuns? I think it is much worse than the reports coming on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom