Join TexasGunTalk

Coronavirus Epidemic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by gdr_11, Jan 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbslider001

bbslider001 New Member

Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Could be, but not quite yet. Other stuff has to happen first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    That movie scared the crap out of me.

innominate likes this.
  3. innominate

innominate Active Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I know. But someone had to say it ;)

ZX9RCAM and Axxe55 like this.
  4. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    Here's something interesting to think about.

Many people are now working from home, because of the pandemic.

I wonder if even after the crisis of the pandemic has passed, whether more people would opt to work from home if that was an option?

I'm pretty sure there are a great many jobs that could be done just as well at home, rather than going to an office or company everyday.

I'm curious if there might be an upswing in those working the same jobs as they are doing, but just instead from the comfort of their own home?

5. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Disregard her vaccine stuff but an interesting article for comparisons of the different coronavirus.

https://vaxxter.com/same-play-book-different-virus/

If someone has a better article that also compares I’d be interested. I have a friend who needs to read some of this but his wife is a nurse and they went from rational to a little crazy. I need to bring him back around but have to be subtle.

Axxe55 likes this.
  6. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Its people!

Axxe55 likes this.
  7. BillFairbanks

BillFairbanks Well-Known

May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    There should be. IMO, most offices provide huge distractions. Bosses are reluctant to let people work from home because they think they won’t be productive. They underestimate the amount of time that’s wasted in the office

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Wildcat Diva

Wildcat Diva TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2016
    I’m working from home now. They are micromanaging my productivity (we have morning and afternoon check ins where stats are presented), and this is for children’s mental health treatment.

I am definitely have to adjust and up my game. And OH, now I’m wearing makeup, because clients are just staring at my face all session, instead of being distracted by coloring books or toys in the office or whatever. I’ve only remembered to take my makeup off before bed once this week, and I’m exhausted.

I’m having to up my game to keep people engaged in their phone or video therapy session. It’s harder than in a face to face session. Never mind most kids don’t have much to talk about because they are currently locked up and bored. I’m working on angles but some kids just won’t bite. Teens are bored and sleeping all day, and after ten minutes of talking there is not much to say about that. And productivity states I gotta try for at least 30-45 minutes. I’m gonna make some lesson plans or something.

I would be interested in working this way to see what it will be like once we are released from community restrictions. I kinda think I would like it about 1/2 the time, not all.

BMF500, ZX9RCAM, karlac and 4 others like this.
  9. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Too early to tell; I dont expect it’s whether to work can be done remotely that will drive a lot of those decisions, instead it may be driven by the costs and benefits associated with the pivot.

Some companies will find the additional IT costs and cyber threats won’t be worth the squeeze compared to the costs of having folks in an established office that’s having to be paid for anyways. A short term expenditure (1-2 quarters worth of services) to stay in business is one thing, but a long term expense line has to be justified, especially considering the amount of people now out of a job who will be looking for a new one.

Some sectors, such as financial services, will be subject to additional regulatory costs now that each worker’s home is their place of business and routine in-office supervisory inspections have to occur. Those rules have to change or businesses have to change their operating models to comply and that’s neither cheap nor easy.

10. kbaxter60

kbaxter60 Hill Country State of Mind

Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    ...so....you're saying we'll be deducting the costs of our coffee as a business expense...
    *starts new spreadsheet*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.