• ...and so much more!
  • TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I need 5 employees to be able to access our server remotely. Not at the same time but they all need to be able to access the same machine. I also need 3 of them to be able to access another machine.

What services do you recommend?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I need 5 employees to be able to access our server remotely. Not at the same time but they all need to be able to access the same machine. I also need 3 of them to be able to access another machine.

If it's Windows. Microsoft has it's own remote desktop service built into the OS.

I will warn you if you enable it it will leave you vulnerable to certain attacks (that you're unlikely to encounter)

If the server is using RHEL Then the GNOME remote desktop should work.

Again, all of this requires firewall permissions.

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The wife works from home. Since we live in the sticks & cell service sucks.... no internet just a hot spot.... she uses TEAM VIEWER, but other employees that are local with better internet use CONNECT WISE. She says she likes TEAM VIEWER better because less employees use it & her connection is faster than if she uses CONNECT WISE.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    If it's Windows. Microsoft has it's own remote desktop service built into the OS.

I will warn you if you enable it it will leave you vulnerable to certain attacks (that you're unlikely to encounter)

If the server is using RHEL Then the GNOME remote desktop should work.

Again, all of this requires firewall permissions.

IDK wut all that means. May have to get my IT guy involved. I've been paying by the hour but he really wants me to sig-up on a subscription.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    The wife works from home. Since we live in the sticks & cell service sucks.... no internet just a hot spot.... she uses TEAM VIEWER, but other employees that are local with better internet use CONNECT WISE. She says she likes TEAM VIEWER better because less employees use it & her connection is faster than if she uses CONNECT WISE.
    My accountant suggested Team Viewer. It's pretty expensive.

Bookkeeper suggested GoToMyPC but it requires a new user for every person accessing a machine. So, if I want 5 people to be able to access 1 machine, that's 5 users. Add on 3 for the other machine = 8 users. 8 x about $24/month is getting pretty expensive.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017

Bookkeeper suggested GoToMyPC but it requires a new user for every person accessing a machine. So, if I want 5 people to be able to access 1 machine, that's 5 users. Add on 3 for the other machine = 8 users. 8 x about $24/month is getting pretty expensive.

Yeah

Tell your IT guy if he charges you more than 100 bucks to set up remote desktop through Windows he's a scam artist. If he knows what hte **** he is doing it should take him less than 20 minutes.

The capability is built into almost every OS. If you pay for it your IT is too lazy to set it up.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US

Depending on what type of router/firewall device you have for the office, VPN might be the best way to go...

Yeah

Tell your IT guy if he charges you more than 100 bucks to set up remote desktop through Windows he's a scam artist. If he knows what hte **** he is doing it should take him less than 20 minutes.

The capability is built into almost every OS. If you pay for it your IT is too lazy to set it up.

^A strong argument could be made that setting up direct inbound RDP access from the internet is practically the textbook definition of "gross negligence" for an IT professional in any situation, let alone for a Healthcare Covered Entity (I'm assuming that's in-play). Odds are also pretty good that that approach would stomp all over things like cyber insurance and any applicable breach indemnification terms (e.g. really bad idea...)

Remote desktop over VPN is a different story...

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where

I'm not sure what the cost is but, during the beginning of chinaflu her company had about 25 employees working from home. Now it's just here department of 6, including her.

By no means am I an IT guy but I would agree with @CyberWolf said & go with a VPN. From what I understand about them they are super secure from just about any type of cyber attack. I hear Express VPN is pretty good for a provider.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Heh allowing a Windows box directly on the internet, with any port open, is foolish.

Does the system in question fall under HIPAA compliance regs?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Heh allowing a Windows box directly on the internet, with any port open, is foolish.

Does the system in question fall under HIPAA compliance regs?

I 100% agree.

I also agree with @CyberWolf

You don't need a paid for VPN I built one out of a box at my house, but you certainly need a lot of technical capability to do that.

The VPN we use is GlobalProtect

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Hire a reputable IT firm. This is an easy thing to do. All my employees remote into the company server.

There is lots of security stuff that needs to happen. A good firm has a handle on all of that stuff.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

That’s some really specific needs. It’s one thing to need access to the data and another to need access to the machine.

Will these employees be accessing your network with their own computer or will you be supplying the computer for them? If they are supplying their own device to connect to your network, will there also be a need to manage a profile on those devices to keep your network secure and healthy?

Is there a way they can access the data they need without directly connecting to your network or machines…for example will Box or Dropbox work as a solution?

Do the programs they need access to offer a cloud or web based application or is a local copy the only thing available?

Is this a case where the costs and risks to your business and data justify the need to provide remote access to the hardware. It’s a P&L exercise…..

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Last edited:

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Router VPN (depending on your router) and remote desktop, or Splashtop (starts at $60/user/year). You'd probably need one of the Pro licenses for multiple users to be able to access the same machine. If they have actual machines at the office, they could connect to those machines, then connect to the server from there.

Top Bottom