• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Anybody got any sure-fire cough remedies, either home-brewed or over-the-counter? I'm talking about the kind of cough that accompanies the common cold, flu, etc. Over the years, I've tried numerous supposedly effective OTC stuff and home remedies, but nothing has ever worked worth a damn for me.
    ARJ Defense ad

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Few years back, had a severe lung/coughing issue caused cleaning a BBQ pit.
    Only thing worked for me was 1/4 to 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of hot water.
    YMMV ...

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I'm currently using Mucus DM Extended Release with good results. It's CVS's knock-off of a Mucinex product.

Pharmacist said to drink a large glass of water when taking but I haven't been.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Only thing worked for me was 1/4 to 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of hot water.
    YMMV ...

I about fell off the couch reading that. That right there will kill you or cure you.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Right now, most of the muscles between my neck and hips are so sore I can barely move. I've been sick as a dog for days and the coughing has been relentless. I've done everything in this thread except one, plus multiple prescription cough medicines. Nothing has helped and I'm about ready to just collapse at a hospital ER entrance if I only had enough strength to drive myself there.

Now I'm off to look for some cayenne pepper. I'm sure there's some around here, somewhere.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    YMMV ...

Well damn, it didn't work on the cough, but not surprisingly, it sped up my "morning constitutional." LOL

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Right now, most of the muscles between my neck and hips are so sore I can barely move. I've been sick as a dog for days and the coughing has been relentless. I've done everything in this thread except one, plus multiple prescription cough medicines. Nothing has helped and I'm about ready to just collapse at a hospital ER entrance if I only had enough strength to drive myself there.

Now I'm off to look for some cayenne pepper. I'm sure there's some around here, somewhere.

Get your ass to a Dr ASAP

Sent from my iPhone?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    May not help as your condition sounds like it may be past OTC remedies, but let me suggest any cough drops you buy should to contain zinc, menthol and a anesthetic-analgesic. Without that, they are basically candy and any minor relief you do get is short lived. Sucrets is what I have used. There are others.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom