Could Lufkin benefit from a public range and/or TacticL store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    The rat race in the big city has got me down so I'm thinking of moving back home and starting up a tactical store or public gun range.

As far as I know neither exist in the area. So my question is is that for a reason or just because no one has ventured into that market yet.

Does anyone think or know that Lufkin and surrounding areas could benefit from either of these? Thanks for any input.
    DK Firearms

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    Which one or both?

It's been awhile since I've been back so I'm not sure if the market for a store full of tactical gear would make it.

Plus in 20+ years of living in Deep East Texas we NEVER went to a gun range, just the family farm.

I think a Tac store might do ok with Paul Howe's facility in Nacodoches but I don't want to open a range if everybody just goes out to a friends house to confirm their zero.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    A Tac store would be great. I hate ordering off the internet and not knowing if I will like what I get. But other than driving to Houston it is my only option. Honestly I would not use a public rang,though I would love a place to shoot IDPA or 3 Gun in Lufkin area.

Get with Paul and stock all his recommended gear.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I would have to look up the name of the owners and range again but I believe there is one about to open in Lufkin. A husband and wife that had just finished building were in my NRA instructors course in July.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    I too love competition shooting. I have land available but only using it for competition wouldn't make it very profitable.

Since we're on the subject though how many bays do you think would make for a good course?

I envision one bay out to 100, 3 out to 50 and 3 more to 25. They would be wide enough to have some good movement but I don't want to use all the land available just for weekly matches. If I was a millionaire, no problem but I need to make money.

Thanks for the input.

Any other thoughts?

We're do LEO, firefighters and first responders get their gear in the Lufkin area?

Does the civilian population care about tactical gear?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I know it's not what you want but you've answered your own questions Phil.

You would have to compete on price with what Walmart and Academy stock, then make your profit on what they don't stock assuming there was a viable market.

Hate to say it but I see a huge risk.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    True but I'm talking about brands neither store carries. Shellback, Safariland, Tru-Spec, etc. Then I'm looking at a bigger piece of the pie.

I'm not looking to get rich, just make money.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Never heard of it, who will see the survey?

You need to spellcheck 1st question

May want to ad knives as a question

JSF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Lufkin
    JSF did you know there was a range in Huntington?

Have any thoughts on it?

Its a good range but I'd like one closer for sure ....I live in Pollok... I wanna build an AR or two so it would be cool to have a place with some parts....you could find the internet deals on lowers and such and resale in store

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigDozer66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Lufkin, Texas USA
    Its a good range but I'd like one closer for sure ....I live in Pollok... I wanna build an AR or two so it would be cool to have a place with some parts....you could find the internet deals on lowers and such and resale in store

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I live in Central, not all the way out in Pollok, and Evans is only 20 minutes from my house.
    It is 10 minutes to Angelina Rifle and Pistol range.

The problem with a range in town would be the cost of the insurance!

Insurance will be high enough being in the country but get in a city and it will all but make it unprofitable and if there is no profit then you will not stay in business. :(

If you open a Tactical store in Lufkin they will come! :)

The only question is will they enough come and will they come often enough to pay the bills?

BigDozer66

JSF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Lufkin
    I live in Central, not all the way out in Pollok, and Evans is only 20 minutes from my house.
    It is 10 minutes to Angelina Rifle and Pistol range.

The problem with a range in town would be the cost of the insurance!

Insurance will be high enough being in the country but get in a city and it will all but make it unprofitable and if there is no profit then you will not stay in business. :(

If you open a Tactical store in Lufkin they will come! :)

The only question is will they enough come and will they come often enough to pay the bills?

BigDozer66

Dont you have to be a member to use the ranges at ARPR?

-Jeff-

BigDozer66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Lufkin, Texas USA
    Dont you have to be a member to use the ranges at ARPR?

-Jeff-

Yes you do but it is only $75.00 a year to use it.

Isn't it $7.00 per gun to shoot at Evans?

I go to Evans fairly regularly but I have never used their range just because I have not had time to shoot lately. :(

BigDozer66

JSF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Lufkin
    Yes you do but it is only $75.00 a year to use it.

Isn't it $7.00 per gun to shoot at Evans?

I go to Evans fairly regularly but I have never used their range just because I have not had time to shoot lately. :(

BigDozer66

Wow didn't realize it was that cheap for a membership. .....I dont remember what Evans brothers charges bc Im usually buyin a gun when im there so I get a free range day

-Jeff-

Howard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    SW Houston
    I think you would definitely have to try and sell stuff online too. Good way for a dealer to bring in extra $.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Bucket of cold water here:

I think the Lufkin area is gong to be VERY hard to sustain a good LGS/tactical/LEO supply store.

Angelina County as a whole is less than 100,000 people, and that's going to be your general customer base.

According to this: Law Enforcement Officers Per Capita for Cities, Local Departments there are, at most, something less than 300 LEOs in a population of that size. (based on max leos in large cities of texas)

I just don't see how a city and county that size can support a decently stocked tactical/leo/gun store.

There are lots of this type of store going out of business all the time in HUGE metropolitan areas.

Just my two cents.

Top Bottom