Coulda turned ugly....

madgringo

May 17, 2009
Something else to think about when your dead asleep.
One night our smoke alarm goes off. The first thing I did was sit up in bed and sniff the air for smoke. I smelled no smoke and fell soundly back to sleep. Next day I am thinking how hard it is to gain your senses out of a good sleep and do the right thing. I have stayed awake some nights since then just becuase a motion triggered light comes on in the backyard.

Got to have it planned out before hand I suppose.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
Bear in mind that I go to sleep each night very aware of my location and possible threats - even when at home. It's not an issue of paranoia, simply Situational Awareness - which makes it easier when on the road.

streakpi

May 15, 2009
Fort Bragg, NC
I'm sitting here in a hotel in Farmer's Branch, Texas - 5:30 am, having been awakened at 3:30 this morning by the sound of my hotel room door being handled as someone tried to enter. I'm a VERY sound sleeper, so it was a pretty intense attempt.... Given the time, I figured it was a drunk idiot at the wrong door. A few minutes later, the door "pops" open against the security lock. I go to full SHTF alert, roll out of the bed, grabbing my Colt Double Eagle as I do so.
Funny what goes through your mind at times like this. As I rolled out, my mind was cataloging my choices - the P238 or Colt - obviously, the Colt won due to size and round capacity. But even more surprising was that I was perfectly aware that I was picking up a double action vs. one of my SA 1911's, so I knew there was no reason to cock it - which helped (in my mind) alleviate a reflex shot until I KNEW it was time to shoot."

Incredible story sir! How many guns did you have in your hotel room? Sounds like you had "choices" rather than a simple carry gun...

Anyway, good that everything went well - good tips and excellent reflexes.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
Incredible story sir! How many guns did you have in your hotel room? Sounds like you had "choices" rather than a simple carry gun...

Anyway, good that everything went well - good tips and excellent reflexes.
Thanks.....I usually carry 2 - .45 either in fannypack or IWB, and a P238 or Colt Mustang in the pocket. Some places it's difficult to carry a full-size in the Texas heat, so the 380 beats a fist...

And yeah - choices are good......

Sunspots

Aug 5, 2009
Austin, tx
I have been in the lodging business.. the first thing I would assume in that situation is that the desk clerk screwed up..... Last fall I was checked into a room that was already "occupied" but the guy was in the next room drinking.. after he noticed me he was cool and offered me a beer ( it was a dry county) and I called the desk got it straightened out and moved to an unoccupied room.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2009
New Braunfels, TX
I have been in the lodging business.. the first thing I would assume in that situation is that the desk clerk screwed up..... Last fall I was checked into a room that was already "occupied" but the guy was in the next room drinking.. after he noticed me he was cool and offered me a beer ( it was a dry county) and I called the desk got it straightened out and moved to an unoccupied room.
That's fine - but after TWO entry attempts at 3:30 in the am, sorry - I ain't assumin' NUTHIN'!!!

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Forum statistics

Threads