• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madgringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Something else to think about when your dead asleep.
    One night our smoke alarm goes off. The first thing I did was sit up in bed and sniff the air for smoke. I smelled no smoke and fell soundly back to sleep. Next day I am thinking how hard it is to gain your senses out of a good sleep and do the right thing. I have stayed awake some nights since then just becuase a motion triggered light comes on in the backyard.

Got to have it planned out before hand I suppose.
    Military Camp

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bear in mind that I go to sleep each night very aware of my location and possible threats - even when at home. It's not an issue of paranoia, simply Situational Awareness - which makes it easier when on the road.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I'm sitting here in a hotel in Farmer's Branch, Texas - 5:30 am, having been awakened at 3:30 this morning by the sound of my hotel room door being handled as someone tried to enter. I'm a VERY sound sleeper, so it was a pretty intense attempt.... Given the time, I figured it was a drunk idiot at the wrong door. A few minutes later, the door "pops" open against the security lock. I go to full SHTF alert, roll out of the bed, grabbing my Colt Double Eagle as I do so.
    Funny what goes through your mind at times like this. As I rolled out, my mind was cataloging my choices - the P238 or Colt - obviously, the Colt won due to size and round capacity. But even more surprising was that I was perfectly aware that I was picking up a double action vs. one of my SA 1911's, so I knew there was no reason to cock it - which helped (in my mind) alleviate a reflex shot until I KNEW it was time to shoot."

Incredible story sir! How many guns did you have in your hotel room? Sounds like you had "choices" rather than a simple carry gun...

Anyway, good that everything went well - good tips and excellent reflexes.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Incredible story sir! How many guns did you have in your hotel room? Sounds like you had "choices" rather than a simple carry gun...

Anyway, good that everything went well - good tips and excellent reflexes.

Thanks.....I usually carry 2 - .45 either in fannypack or IWB, and a P238 or Colt Mustang in the pocket. Some places it's difficult to carry a full-size in the Texas heat, so the 380 beats a fist...

And yeah - choices are good......

Sunspots

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Austin, tx
    I have been in the lodging business.. the first thing I would assume in that situation is that the desk clerk screwed up..... Last fall I was checked into a room that was already "occupied" but the guy was in the next room drinking.. after he noticed me he was cool and offered me a beer ( it was a dry county) and I called the desk got it straightened out and moved to an unoccupied room.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I have been in the lodging business.. the first thing I would assume in that situation is that the desk clerk screwed up..... Last fall I was checked into a room that was already "occupied" but the guy was in the next room drinking.. after he noticed me he was cool and offered me a beer ( it was a dry county) and I called the desk got it straightened out and moved to an unoccupied room.

That's fine - but after TWO entry attempts at 3:30 in the am, sorry - I ain't assumin' NUTHIN'!!!

Top Bottom