• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Hey everyone, I know I'm not very active here but I figured my story may help some one. If you think your last few weeks have been tough here is a quick break down of what mine have been like. First a little history, at the age of 25 my wife and I decided to start a family, so while working 50 to 60 hours a week and working on my MBA I decided to get into shape. I don't smoke, stopped drinking, lifted weights 5 times a week, began to run, eventually competitively in 5k's (best of 7th place in my division), became a vegetarian, went from 200 pounds to about 170. Basically thought I was doing everything right, started getting bad head aches in April of 2012, went to my primary doctor and was told I was okay and given hydro condone for the pain, low and behold, three days later I had a stroke. Paralyzed on the right side of my body from the neck down. I was very blessed though, I was able to relearn to walk in a couple months and after many months of therapy I was back at work and completely recovered for the birth of my son last November. I've been keeping up with my hematologist Dr. Scott Ulmer (one of the best doctors I have ever had) and my neurologist Dr. Payton DeLaney (the absolute worst doctor I have ever has the displeasure of dealing with). I saw my hemo doc in June and everything was fine, in July I start getting headaches and I go see my neuro, he says its normal and basically starts pumping full of bullshit pills, I have a head ache for two months, miss one to two days of work a week (I'm an engineer for a construction company, so it's hurting my job site also), throwing up constantly, vision problems, etc. I call him constantly he finally tells me he is giving me a second type of antidepressant pill to try, and he won't see me until I've been on it for two weeks. At this point he had already told me he was not going to give me anything for the pain, that it would go away on its own. I was pretty pissed, I was not going to try a new antidepressant if I knew that was not the problem, so I started looking for a new doc, a few days later I saw a new primary to try to get some help and he wanted me back fasting to start tests, I was on pain killers and I had already missed work on a Thursday so I got home and told my wife to come with me to UTSA to get my books for my semester which would be starting the following week so I could buy my son a jersey from the bookstore for the ok st game. I never made it to the bookstore, I had my second stroke (at 26) on campus after having my son and wife in a vehicle I was driving only minutes after parking. I lost use of my right hand and right side of my face for two weeks, this last week I've been in a rehab hospital (healthsouth riosa, which is awesome) after being in Methodist Stone Oak for two weeks (great hospital, have saved my life both times). So after being in hospitals for three weeks I came back home last night, this morning I'm in my recliner with my baby boy sleeping on me while I have a college game on the TV. I take over 30 pills a day, I have almost died 4 times (I also have an autoimmune disease), but I have a great son, wife, parents, siblings and family, and I feel like I am the most blessed person in the world. Please don't ignore your health issues, if what your docs tell you doesn't feel right get a second or third opinion. My story is a whole lot longer, but I'm typing on a phone with a weak right hand. Live the best you can not just for you, but for those who love you also. The worst part of all this for me is to see my family in pain. Take care of yourselves, be positive and thank God for what you have.

I put this here because I am beyond furious with Payton DeLaney, if any of you need a neuro avoid him at ALL costs. And I can't speak highly enough of Scott Ulmer, Methodist stone oak hospital and Healthsouth Riosa rehab.

Thank you for your time.
    Military Camp

Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Thank you, and yea I plan on letting my story be known. I would go speak to him this Tuesday since he expects me for an appointment, but I'm gonna cancel. I honestly know I can't face him with out losing my mind. I plan on writing him a letter letting him know exactly what happened and what I think about him and sending it certified to his office so he has to sign for it.

But hey, I'm right handed and I am doing therapy so I figured the range would be good therapy. My 4006 should have a low enough recoil so I can use it now, I wonder how bad my aim is now. I've got all kinds of exercises i do at home, I should get it back in a few weeks. Same happens with my hand writing.

Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Thanks guys, at this point the nerves and anxiety are the toughest thing to deal with. Something about having two strokes with in a year and a half makes a guy nervous

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Prayers sent!

I am curious though, how was your blood pressure prior to your strokes?
    Are you saying it was not high?

Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Thanks guys.

My blood pressure even in the hospital after the strokes is in the 120's. No cholesterol problems, no genetic problems, no other issues that would lead to a stroke. The only thing the docs can think of is my autoimmune disorder, I've got an extremely strong immune system. So strong that it freaked out and started trying to kill me. Back in October, my doctor and I decided it was best for me to come off the blood thinners since I was doing so well, healthy again and there was only a 2% chance of this type of stroke happening again. Of all the doctors working on me only one has ever seen this in their career. I always aim to be in the top few, lol.

Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Thanks man, at this point I honestly know I'm never going to be fully healthy again and I'm okay with that. I'm alive and that's what matters. It is just so damn hard to live minute to minute so grateful to god for my life and my family but yet so angry at the same time. I'm angry at the doctor but I'm angry with my self also for reasons I can't understand. All I know is I have to swallow it the best I can so I don't worry those around me. I understand now why people get cranky as they get older, they have accepted their mortality and the fact that they can't do a damn thing about it. But the slogan I adopted after my first stroke was simply "I refuse to die", and I will stick to it for a long time to come. It looks like this is easier and cheaper than therapy

Top Bottom