• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Being born and raised on a mountain top in southwestern Virginia, I'm a big fan of country ham. I have been unable to find country ham in my area of Texas. For those that don't know, country ham is dry cured with salt.

I had my brother in Virginia to send me a few packs of country ham. I fried some up this morning and had it on biscuits. It's some warm and salty goodness.

ch1.jpg

ch2.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    My grandfather used to cure hams and bacon with nothing but salt. It was salty but some of the best, dark red ham there ever was.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I bought 100 lbs of bacon cure years ago, and am still using it on occasional wild sows, store bought pork butts, and venison shoulder roasts. I'm a huge fan.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Interesting question. I find, in general, sows remain more tender into maturity. Boar meat gets tougher as they mature. From a texture perspective, I consider boars that are under 120 lbs and sows up to 175 or so as candidates.

However, I'm one of the 75% of people that are sensitive to boar taint, and I seem to have a hyper-sensitivity. Boar taint is a hormone issue in both sexes, and it's hard to predict whether the hog has elevated levels of the component hormonal byproducts. As a general rule, shoats will be good to go and older hogs might be an issue, but we test them all.

We take a 1 inch cube of fatty meat from the hog and drop it into a hot skillet. We know in seconds if the meat is good to process for our consumption, or should be canned for the dogs. The funk tells the tale! Either way, I'm fastidious about hygiene, thorough rinse before skinning, different knives for skinning and quartering, frequent change of gloves, cold brine with frequent water changes, etc.

We can the meat for the dogs because dogs should never be allowed contact with raw pig meat, blood, or bones due to pseudorabies.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Cracker Barrel has country ham available for with their "old timer" breakfast. I get it whenever we're on the road and stop to eat.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Being born and raised on a mountain top in southwestern Virginia, I'm a big fan of country ham. I have been unable to find country ham in my area of Texas. For those that don't know, country ham is dry cured with salt.

I had my brother in Virginia to send me a few packs of country ham. I fried some up this morning and had it on biscuits. It's some warm and salty goodness.

View attachment 366800

View attachment 366801
    Where is the red-eye gravy?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Geezer,

I overlooked this thread and so didn't thank you for the information you posted regarding varying feral hog meat size limits and other interesting stuff...damn, I'm sorry!

Thank you for your very informative reply!!

PS, I used to shoot and harvest them in my 'back yard' up until they destroyed my yard...so up went a fence and gone goes to destruction to my lawn...and pig meat.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    On my recent trip back east, I brought back some more country ham. Eatin' like a Kang this morning! Yard eggs are a different color than store bought eggs.

View attachment 394301

Those "yard eggs" are missing some coarse ground pepper, bell or banana peppers and some hash browns and gravy!!! and a stack of pancakes with homemade blackberry jam.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Those "yard eggs" are missing some coarse ground pepper, bell or banana peppers and some hash browns and gravy!!! and a stack of pancakes with homemade blackberry jam.
    sausage gravy and buttermilk bicuits too!
    My gravy maker was on the blink this morning. So, I fixed her breakfast instead.

Top Bottom