Venture Surplus ad

Court: 3D printer gun files, national security interest trumps free speech.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Got around to reading the order. It’s here if you like:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4624040-WDWA-3D-20180731.html#text/p6

The states argument is that procedure wasn’t followed, which is a technicality. The legal justification is that by removing the ITAR restriction, the federal government is allowing untraceable and undetectable firearms to proliferate in the states, enabling prohibited persons to acquire and use them.

This, the states argue restricts 10th amendment rights of states to regulate firearms.

Interesting legal argument and, I fear in the 9th circuit, the Aug 10 hearing will result in a continued injunction until trial.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Got around to reading the order. It’s here if you like:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4624040-WDWA-3D-20180731.html#text/p6

The states argument is that procedure wasn’t followed, which is a technicality. The legal justification is that by removing the ITAR restriction, the federal government is allowing untraceable and undetectable firearms to proliferate in the states, enabling prohibited persons to acquire and use them.

This, the states argue restricts 10th amendment rights of states to regulate firearms.

Interesting legal argument and, I fear in the 9th circuit, the Aug 10 hearing will result in a continued injunction until trial.
    The U.S. government regulates what's covered in the constitution and the 2nd amendment deals with firearms, therefore the 10th amendment doesn't give states the right to regulate firearms.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Every plan released. All the code currently available.

I already have it on a thumb drive. Just a matter of time before I share it myself. Along with a couple music files to round it off.

I love it when they try to ban stuff.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Every plan released. All the code currently available.

I already have it on a thumb drive. Just a matter of time before I share it myself. Along with a couple music files to round it off.

I love it when they try to ban stuff.
    We all know that banning stuff works, I mean drugs are banned and if it was not for that we would prob have a drug epidemic, folks would be dying from Opioids and overdosing on heroin and things like that. So banning works, thank gawd we have some judge who has taken it upon himself to save America from these 3D guns. I feel safer now...

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    We all know that banning stuff works, I mean drugs are banned and if it was not for that we would prob have a drug epidemic, folks would be dying from Opioids and overdosing on heroin and things like that. So banning works, thank gawd we have some judge who has taken it upon himself to save America from these 3D guns. I fill safer now...

What they don't say is that they are lying. Untraceable and undetectable guns getting through an airport? Bull$hit.

The girlfriend's daughter went to a range a day before taking a flight to Michigan. Her a$$ got stopped. Explosive powder detection. So after a day and a shower. Different clothes and girly hand lotion. They detected she had been using a firearm.

Scare tactics rule the day. They're scared themselves that the little man isn't buying their horse$hit anymore. With good reason.

Get your CAD plans while they're hot!

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    i would just like to see one of the reporters show us how easy it is to go from downloaded plans to buying a printer setting it up and getting a functional weapon.

No crook is going to do that. They will hit up chewy on the corner for a 50 buck throw away.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    i would just like to see one of the reporters show us how easy it is to go from downloaded plans to buying a printer setting it up and getting a functional weapon.

No crook is going to do that. They will hit up chewy on the corner for a 50 buck throw away.

Are you cussing HiPoint? Lol

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    What they don't say is that they are lying. Untraceable and undetectable guns getting through an airport? Bull$hit.

The girlfriend's daughter went to a range a day before taking a flight to Michigan. Her a$$ got stopped. Explosive powder detection. So after a day and a shower. Different clothes and girly hand lotion. They detected she had been using a firearm.

Scare tactics rule the day. They're scared themselves that the little man isn't buying their horse$hit anymore. With good reason.

Get your CAD plans while they're hot!

You could probably get the weapon through the airport... the problem is you'd never get the ammunition in or through in a million years. Granted, the "gun" would only be good for 3 to 5 shots before it failed, but you could do it... Again.... how to get the ammo in would be the problem.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You could probably get the weapon through the airport... the problem is you'd never get the ammunition in or through in a million years. Granted, the "gun" would only be good for 3 to 5 shots before it failed, but you could do it... Again.... how to get the ammo in would be the problem.

If the weapon has residual smokeless powder anywhere on it. You're done. It'd have to be CAD fresh and never used. The person machining it has to super clean too. Anything dealing with explosive material. The government has spent the money to detect it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I was once told a wild story about how fake plants were developed. All that crap you see in Hobby Lobby.

Vietnam vet described probes that were dropped along trails. It'd embed into the ground. Once landed, it deployed fake silk leaves and branches for camouflage.

Here's where it gets good. This gentleman described this device being able to detect the type of metal troops were carrying. It could identify the steel of an AK or the Alloy of a M16.

Fake plant technology was developed for this device.

So during the Vietnam war. They already had firearm detection tech. 1966? 1967?

Fast forward to today. Can they detect plastics and polymers? They got the money and scientists to do it. I'd assume they can.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    What do you want to get thru? Guns, ammo, TNT, C4, NUKE, don't care can walk it thru:

I was in line at AA either in Rome or London direct to NYC. I was behind some one (man, woman???) in a Black sheet, with 2 slits for eyes, they had a carry on so did I. They also had either a rucksack or severe Humpback. We get to the walk thru machine and they lay the carryon down on the conveyor belt, I am told to open mine and they proceed to go thru. Theirs was not opened, they go thru the machine and the buzzer sounds, I am watching, they get a wave thru, go straight to be conveyor and pick up the carryon. Now the TSA or what ever want to see my hat. It's a Stetson Straw, unlined so you can see thru it. The jerk proceeds to crush it, bend it, break it to the point I had to throw it away.

And that folks is how you get anything you want thru and onto a airplane into NYC post 911...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I was once told a wild story about how fake plants were developed. All that crap you see in Hobby Lobby.

Vietnam vet described probes that were dropped along trails. It'd embed into the ground. Once landed, it deployed fake silk leaves and branches for camouflage.

Here's where it gets good. This gentleman described this device being able to detect the type of metal troops were carrying. It could identify the steel of an AK or the Alloy of a M16.

Fake plant technology was developed for this device.

So during the Vietnam war. They already had firearm detection tech. 1966? 1967?

Fast forward to today. Can they detect plastics and polymers? They got the money and scientists to do it. I'd assume they can.
    We could not tell the diff between and AK 47 and a M16, we could tell the diff between ferrous and non ferrous metal (magnetic vs non magnetic).

Sounds like he was implying that the probes were being dropped out of a airplane or helicopter. NOT likely, it would have to land directly alongside a trail, not easy when you kick it out the door, then it has to transmit a signal to a remote location along with a set of GPS coord.

We were not testing GPS until the very early 80's at West Ft Hood Texas at TCATA...where I worked.

I was there in '67 I/II Corp all over the place and I would have thought I would have come across it or at least heard about it...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    We could not tell the diff between and AK 47 and a M16, we could tell the diff between ferrous and non ferrous metal (magnetic vs non magnetic).

Sounds like he was implying that the probes were being dropped out of a airplane or helicopter. NOT likely, it would have to land directly alongside a trail, not easy when you kick it out the door, then it has to transmit a signal to a remote location along with a set of GPS coord.

We were not testing GPS until the very early 80's at West Ft Hood Texas at TCATA...where I worked.

I was there in '67 I/II Corp all over the place and I would have thought I would have come across it or at least heard about it...

The story gets wilder. I left out the part about this guy being a real deal Green Beret. You come across a few fools that say they were special forces but it's usually B.S.

This Dude had pictures. Yep, Green Beret. Unique type of guy. Super nice and respectful. Had a scar on his thigh. Something about being charged at by the NVA. He caught a bayonet as the enemy came over a berm. He was slashed pretty good.

Then he go's deeper into the story about turning the guys head backwards while fighting for his life. He won. That's where he ended his story....that time. As his eyes glossed over from remembering it. It was a rare time he ever opened up. He swallowed it and went back along to life.

I guess we all have demons. My friend had more then his fair share.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

Christians In Action were dropping surveillance probes on the Ho trail. Some were disguised as plants, others as rocks. I wish I could remember where I read about it. It was quite a few years ago. Some of the probes would count how many people passed by and which way they were going.

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/how-the-vietnam-war-brought-high-tech-border-surveillan-1694647526
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Igloo_White

As I recall they would transmit the data upon receiving a radio signal.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Christians In Action were dropping surveillance probes on the Ho trail. Some were disguised as plants, others as rocks. I wish I could remember where I read about it. It was quite a few years ago. Some of the probes would count how many people passed by and which way they were going.

https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/how-the-vietnam-war-brought-high-tech-border-surveillan-1694647526
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Igloo_White

As I recall they would transmit the data upon receiving a radio signal.
    Good article.

It was an utter failure, which they blamed on other factors other than their own stupidity. But never fear war conditions were one thing and border conditions were another and better. So another $1BILLION was spent on the same failed concept on our border and it worked no better than it did in Vietnam.

In my years in the Army in the last half of my career I learned a lot of things, I will share one them here:

IT Tech programs fail more often than they succeed and they don't fail small, no-sirree Bob, they fail BIG, most often at the point at which $1 Billion has been spent. Then the program is killed in the dead of night. The reasons are many, but I can assure you that almost no one is left holding the bag except the new PM (Program Manager), he gets a public black eye while the rest disappear into the woods for a walk.

But Wait, there is more: There are still a LOT of people involved that are now out of a job, but still on the payroll and time heals all wounds. About 3-5 years later the demon will be raised from the grave under a different name, it will go from King Kong to Godzilla. It will be sold as a great idea but with failed leadership and there is $Millions to be saved because they were so far along when it was killed.

This one will also fail only do so far quicker.

I know what you are thinking, WHY did it fail to begin with and why did it the second time around?

My observations and shared with other PM's that I knew and respected who were successful is this: Lt Col (P) a golden boy was tapped to lead and this will be his ticket to the stars. His prime staffers will be his coat tail riders they have rode the bullet for years back in their Infantry/Armor/Artillery (pick one) days and they good, in fact they were great, but IT and Tech is not their speak.

Here is what happens: Lt Col I funded you $100 Million 6 mo ago, what in the hell have you done with it and I don't to hear about this writing code stuff or having meetings to developed a functional assessment or what ever the hell you call it! Come back and brief me next week and I want some GD PROGRESS!!!

Next week: Sir, I am working with the Contracting office now to place an other for $80 Million of IT-Tech hardware and here is a list of what is is and what it will do for us.

Lt Col Great briefing, see you next quarter.

Results: Across the US there are warehouses FULL of IT-Tech gear that took over a year to award the contract and a year to deliver and every day that passed the gear got older and older and by the time the Program was ready to use it, its was so out of date it was not useable and those Hard Drives that held 80 Mb and cost over $1000 each and they bought 5000 of them can now be bought at Wal Mart in a 800Mb config for for $500 each. What happened was the fast movingTech train left them in the dust and in one case I know of the software they developed would not even run on the chip sets of the now junk in the warehouse.

And what PM would dare send to the field a computer that is not even being made anymore for soldier to use.

I saw this repeated time and time again. I met with PM's told them do not spend you money on HW up front.

Maybe today its different (its not and I know its not) I know of 2 programs that have been killed off in the past year at a cost of over $1Billion each...

Top Bottom