• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    It's been in the news the past couple of days that there was a mercury spill at the Coppell mail sorting plant.

It's been reported that 4 gallons of mercury spilled.

I've got a few problems with this story.

1. Maximum package weight in the USPS system is 70 lbs. Mercury weighs 113.4 lbs per gallon. That would require SEVEN packages and to have all SEVEN break open.

2. Mercury is currently going for around $10 a lb. So this four gallons of mercury would be worth over $4500. Anyone shipping $700 worth of mercury isn't just going to put it in a glass jar and throw it in a box.

3. It's illegal to ship mercury through the USPS so what legitimate shipper is going to ship $4500 worth of illegal product through the mail?

4. They are saying that it's mainly letter operations that are being affected. Letters and parcels are handled in different areas of the plant. If anything were to be affected it would be parcel operations.

I have to wonder what it is they are covering up?
    ARJ Defense ad

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    oh come on no one should check facts just take the news as its reported why would they lie.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Grin....just imagine if it is true...you know how mercury beads up and splatters in all directions when impacted. Cleaning up 4 gallons would be a nightmare!!!!

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    This video says the package weighed 25 lbs and that 28 oz (1.75 lbs) spilled.

Typical initial news reporting. When they got a news “deadline” to meet, they’re going to take whatever information they’ve got and to hell with whatever the real *facts* may be.
    {Ain’t nobody got time for that}

(See @2:11 mark of this video)

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I had wondered what happened to my mail! I figured it just had something to do with a screw-up involving the new Zip Code number the PO assigned us.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Yes, my Monday mail finally showed up today. Can't wait for the pile of junk mail to arrive in the next few days. Anyone who argues the sky would fall if the USPS did 3 deliveries a week as a cost reduction is crazy.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Yes, my Monday mail finally showed up today. Can't wait for the pile of junk mail to arrive in the next few days. Anyone who argues the sky would fall if the USPS did 3 deliveries a week as a cost reduction is crazy.

Unless you run a business that has payments coming through the mail. I'll tell you from 20 years delivering mail it would be a nightmare for the delivery person.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Here in the Athens area mail delivery was delayed 2 days. Could have been worse. But I'm patient. My bullets from ACME Bullets arrived yesterday. Life in Wade's World goes on. :)

But I did question mercury begins shipped via USPS rather than a ground carrier designated as a hazmat approved service. Didn't make sense...
    Like Inspector Clouseau, I suspect everyone. I suspect even myself. However, I interrogated myself and after 4 hours of waterboarding I did confess to once telling my ex-wife that her dress didn't make her look fat even though it did. But I was cleared from the mercury spill.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I’m hoping the postal inspectors track down the culprit and “throw the book” at him!

My suspicions aren’t “he didn’t know” - I suspect he knew exactly what he was doing and that his actions weren’t legal. If he was just trying to save a few bucks, it needs to cost him more than he ever cared to dream!

[Out of passing curiosity, I’d be interested in knowing who has the need to send mercury through the mail to begin with.]

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Oh, and no one gets the book thrown at them anymore. They do however receive a sternly worded email. With politically correct phrases so as to not offend anyone. :argue:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Oh, and no one gets the book thrown at them anymore. They do however receive a sternly worded email. With politically correct phrases so as to not offend anyone. :argue:

That’s true!

So if my calculations are correct, that package contained a little more that two Coke cans worth if mercury. (That’s a lot of thermometers!).

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Rectal thermometers for elephants????

Needs to be a rectal thermometer for the guy who mailed the package (and/or the package recipient)! Who the hell orders almost a quarter-gallon worth of mercury? (And then skimps on trying to save a few bucks on a hazmat charge?)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom