Cowboy boots with a suit ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pony, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Pony

Pony Member

May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    OK, so this thread has nothing to do with guns, but its the only forum I'm a member of thats specific to Texas. Guys, ask your gals too:

I have a job interview on Monday, and discovered I'm going to need a new suit (kinda got a Texas spread going on around my waist and can't get in to any of my suits).
    I've never needed to wear a formal suit whilst here in Texas. Is it acceptable to wear my comfy square toed cowboy boots with a suit, or should I just get a pair of casual pants and a sports jacket.

I'm not an oil magnate or a country and western singer.

2. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Texas and Texans - Boots are a must.
    As long as they are nice and look dressy why not!
    I've done it and can't say it prevented me from getting the job.
    Do they go with the suite?
    It's just like shoes - if it works it works.

3. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Wear a suit with nice dress shoes, even if that means you have to go out and buy a new pair. End of story. ;)

Good luck!

4. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Because there's a chance that the interviewer might be a stickler about dress, and might not be an empathetic Texan. Cover all the bases if you want the job.

5. Englishman

Englishman Member

Jun 24, 2009
    The New World
    My experience would be that either dress style would be acceptable in Tx – Just make sure the boots are clean, not scruffy and polished.
    Good luck at the interview.

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have done both. If you are just wearing old work boots don't. But if it's a nice dressed up pair of polished scuff free boots that match the suit go ahead.

7. 1rightguy

1rightguy Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    +1 You aren't really thinking that would be okay are you? Do you have a steer head bolo tie to go with?:2cents:

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    When I was in LE my "suit" was an issued uniform. I had one JC Penny suit for federal court.

When I left LE I found I was ill prepared for the dress of the corporate world. I did some research and found that THE guide for dressing for success is John T Molloy's Dress For Success.

Rule 1, unless your woman is a success coach for corporations she should only be picking your non-business attire. Women have a keen sense for fashion, but fashion is not for the corporate world.

Rule 2 for you; Unless the business for which you are interviewing is one in which the executives wear boots, don't do it.

Wear a white shirt with a nice conservative tie. Do not get a black suit. A conservative solid navy or pinstripe navy, or even gray is always a safe bet.

I urge you to go to Barnes and Noble and buy the book.

Good luck with your interview!

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    On the other hand, he might be a Texan and the boots might make him stand out and show a little character.

I say go with the boots, who wants a tight ass for a manager anyways.

10. The_Hunter

The_Hunter Active Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Gray suit, white pressed shirt, red or blue tie, black belt, black lace up dress shoes.

Unless I knew the people in the office wear boots to work I wouldnt do it on an interview and even then I would think twice about it