Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I just got the weekly flyer from CDNN in my email. It shows Sig 551-A1 rifles for $1899. (That's already silly since Academy was selling the same rifles for less than half of that prior to the frenzy, but I digress.)

I received the email today, January 4, at just past noon. The flyer says, in giant red letters, "Prices Rising January 1st"!

Whiskey.

Tango.

Foxtrot?
    DK Firearms

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I just got the weekly flyer from CDNN in my email. It shows Sig 551-A1 rifles for $1899. (That's already silly since Academy was selling the same rifles for less than half of that prior to the frenzy,
    So was CDNN
    I received the email today, January 4, at just past noon. The flyer says, in giant red letters, "Prices Rising January 1st"!

Whiskey.

Tango.

Foxtrot?

WTF is supply and demand.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Academy ever carried the Sig551's. They carry (well, when they had stock before the buying frenzy) the Sig556. Pretty much the same gun, but the Sig551 as far as I can tell only differs in that it takes the original Swiss magazines. And for some reason that I fail to understand, the Sig aficionados really like that rifle better than the 556. Makes no sense to me, since availability and interchangeability of AR mags was much more desirable in my eyes. I believe $1899 was higher than the 551 would have been before the craze, but that 551's were more expensive than the 556s.

Note: I could be wrong, but that is my understanding. I'm not a huge Sig nut, but I do like them quite a bit and have a Sig556.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Why do people think that prices today are going to be anywhere NEAR what they were a few weeks ago? Are our fellow gun owners that ignorant of basic economic principles?

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Uh, I obviously didn't make myself clear.

I wasn't complaining about the price. I was pointing out that they were mailing out a flyer with a price on it. They sent out the flyer three days after the day they said they were going to raise prices. The price on the flyer has already been no good for three days.

Why send out an email that's already outdated? That has nothing to do with market forces. That's just dumb.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I just got the weekly flyer from CDNN in my email. It shows Sig 551-A1 rifles for $1899. (That's already silly since Academy was selling the same rifles for less than half of that prior to the frenzy, but I digress.)?

Uh, I obviously didn't make myself clear.

I wasn't complaining about the price.
    It would seem quote #2 contradicts quote #1.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    551 vs 556? I'm probably wrong. The only SIGs I was ever actually interested in at Academy were the ones in 7.62x39. Then I saw that SIG sells an SBR version of the 7.62 and I decided to put off the purchase until I had a trust. Now that's all out the window for the foreseeable future.

No big deal. I have all the semi-auto rifles I need. I just thought the mistake on the flyer was interesting. I find it hard to believe that three other respondents could read what I originally posted and not realize it was the date of the price changes being *before* the date they sent out the flyer that prompted my WTF.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It would seem quote #2 contradicts quote #1.
    The use of the parenthetical and well as the phrase "but I digress" should (I say *should*) clue the reader to the fact that it's an aside and not the main point.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    WTF is supply and demand.
    No, the WTF is them sending out a flyer quoting a price while at the same time the flyer clear says the price already went up three days ago. Why send out a flyer with a price that's obviously outdated and most likely wrong? It's like they wrote the flyer last week then forgot to send it out till today. That's dumb enough to be WTF-worthy.

Top Bottom