ARJ Defense ad

Crosman/Benjamin Model 392 front sight...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So, my son DROPPED the Crosman/Benjamin 392PA .22 cal bolt-action pellet rifle I inherited from my dad and broke the front sight off - it was very granular metal and snapped easily. Does anyone know where a replacement can be had, and for that matter how the damaged sight assembly can be removed?

I'm looking into whether Crosman would even honor a warranty on a 30+ year old rifle, but any options are welcome.

This isn't the rifle in question, but it's the exact model and appears to be the same vintage:

56a729d33f9ca9c93cb43ce1b4bd6298.jpg
    Military Camp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Don't you dare replace that sight. Grandpa's grandkid did that. Lol. That's a memory to it.

He can learn to shoot it like a shotgun. You don't need the front sight. It's more fun with it gone anyhow.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Might try www.gunpartscorp.com

Doubt you will have any warranty luck since it was dropped, but they might have a replacement sight depending on how long the rifle has been out of production. I had a Benjamin very similar to that in the last 90s but haven't seen on on a shelf in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    One of my earliest memories is dad, ( who died when I was 6), shooting at strike anywhere kitchen matches with that Benjamin ( before it was Benjamin/Sheridan. ...whatever, just Benjamin) and lightning the matches .

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I shot matches with mine too. I mean literally. I would drop one down the barrel and shoot them at a hard surface, like our house, (stupid) and they would ignite on impact. Also made darts with the burned matches and a sewing needle and tiny fin made of paper and shot those out of it. Didn't have many toys when I was a kid. :)

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    If you still have the broken off part, would it be possible to glue it back with JB weld? I mean just until you can find a replacement sight.

I do, but it bent before it snapped off - it lines up at almost a 25 degree angle. I may wind up just having to put a scope on it...but I really prefer irons. I'm weird that way.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I shot matches with mine too. I mean literally. I would drop one down the barrel and shoot them at a hard surface, like our house, (stupid) and they would ignite on impact. Also made darts with the burned matches and a sewing needle and tiny fin made of paper and shot those out of it. Didn't have many toys when I was a kid. :)

Me too, that's why I worded it like I did. I made the darts, too.

Something tells me we watched too much Wild Kingdom .

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Well, Crosman's customer service confirms it - the sight is part of the barrel assembly and can't be changed out without a new barrel, done at an authorized "service center". They were nice enough to give me the name and number of the closest one - it's in Brownsville, conveniently located just over 8 hours away from me.

Looks like I'll be looking into scope mounts.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I know this is an old thread, and you have probably already come up with something, but my two cents worth anyway.

I can not imagine that it would be all that difficult to fabricate a new front sight.
    Maybe carefully grind off the broken sights and do some sort of a barrel band with a sight blade on it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I still haven't found a solution. There's a machinist somewhere near me (I have his card) who could put in a dovetail for a new front blade to slide into, but that's money I haven't freed up yet.

The major issue is that I don't want a homemade solution, I want something precise. I haven't come up with a way to guarantee precision with what was the most accurate pellet gun I had.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I understand what you are saying, but I don't really see a problem.

I can guarantee you that I could fabricate a band mounted front sight that would match 100% the profile of the original as long as I had all the pieces of the original to get measurements from.
    I guess the real question would be, how much time and effort is it worth?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I guess the real question would be, how much time and effort is it worth?

There's the biggest problem right there. I have very little of either available. And I lack the funds to pay for someone else's time and effort.

Oh, and I don't have the top half of the original front sight blade anymore. I'm not sure where it got off to.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    If you still have the broken off part, would it be possible to glue it back with JB weld? I mean just until you can find a replacement sight.

I'm not even sure you could purchase the sight separately. It seems to be an integral part of the barrel on the parts list.

https://archive.org/details/Benjamin392And397ExplodedPartsList
    I was going to suggest something similar. Cast a new front sight with some high end epoxy (3M DP420?) Then file/sand it down to match the original profile.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom