Patriot Mobile

Crosman/Benjamin Model 392 front sight...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So, my son DROPPED the Crosman/Benjamin 392PA .22 cal bolt-action pellet rifle I inherited from my dad and broke the front sight off - it was very granular metal and snapped easily. Does anyone know where a replacement can be had, and for that matter how the damaged sight assembly can be removed?

I'm looking into whether Crosman would even honor a warranty on a 30+ year old rifle, but any options are welcome.

This isn't the rifle in question, but it's the exact model and appears to be the same vintage:

56a729d33f9ca9c93cb43ce1b4bd6298.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Don't you dare replace that sight. Grandpa's grandkid did that. Lol. That's a memory to it.

He can learn to shoot it like a shotgun. You don't need the front sight. It's more fun with it gone anyhow.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Might try www.gunpartscorp.com

Doubt you will have any warranty luck since it was dropped, but they might have a replacement sight depending on how long the rifle has been out of production. I had a Benjamin very similar to that in the last 90s but haven't seen on on a shelf in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    One of my earliest memories is dad, ( who died when I was 6), shooting at strike anywhere kitchen matches with that Benjamin ( before it was Benjamin/Sheridan. ...whatever, just Benjamin) and lightning the matches .

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I shot matches with mine too. I mean literally. I would drop one down the barrel and shoot them at a hard surface, like our house, (stupid) and they would ignite on impact. Also made darts with the burned matches and a sewing needle and tiny fin made of paper and shot those out of it. Didn't have many toys when I was a kid. :)

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    If you still have the broken off part, would it be possible to glue it back with JB weld? I mean just until you can find a replacement sight.

I do, but it bent before it snapped off - it lines up at almost a 25 degree angle. I may wind up just having to put a scope on it...but I really prefer irons. I'm weird that way.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    I shot matches with mine too. I mean literally. I would drop one down the barrel and shoot them at a hard surface, like our house, (stupid) and they would ignite on impact. Also made darts with the burned matches and a sewing needle and tiny fin made of paper and shot those out of it. Didn't have many toys when I was a kid. :)

Me too, that's why I worded it like I did. I made the darts, too.

Something tells me we watched too much Wild Kingdom .

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Well, Crosman's customer service confirms it - the sight is part of the barrel assembly and can't be changed out without a new barrel, done at an authorized "service center". They were nice enough to give me the name and number of the closest one - it's in Brownsville, conveniently located just over 8 hours away from me.

Looks like I'll be looking into scope mounts.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I know this is an old thread, and you have probably already come up with something, but my two cents worth anyway.

I can not imagine that it would be all that difficult to fabricate a new front sight.
    Maybe carefully grind off the broken sights and do some sort of a barrel band with a sight blade on it.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I still haven't found a solution. There's a machinist somewhere near me (I have his card) who could put in a dovetail for a new front blade to slide into, but that's money I haven't freed up yet.

The major issue is that I don't want a homemade solution, I want something precise. I haven't come up with a way to guarantee precision with what was the most accurate pellet gun I had.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I understand what you are saying, but I don't really see a problem.

I can guarantee you that I could fabricate a band mounted front sight that would match 100% the profile of the original as long as I had all the pieces of the original to get measurements from.
    I guess the real question would be, how much time and effort is it worth?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I guess the real question would be, how much time and effort is it worth?

There's the biggest problem right there. I have very little of either available. And I lack the funds to pay for someone else's time and effort.

Oh, and I don't have the top half of the original front sight blade anymore. I'm not sure where it got off to.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    If you still have the broken off part, would it be possible to glue it back with JB weld? I mean just until you can find a replacement sight.

I'm not even sure you could purchase the sight separately. It seems to be an integral part of the barrel on the parts list.

https://archive.org/details/Benjamin392And397ExplodedPartsList
    I was going to suggest something similar. Cast a new front sight with some high end epoxy (3M DP420?) Then file/sand it down to match the original profile.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Top Bottom