• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Many years ago, a LEA could investigate a felony up to 400 yds. outside their city limits/county. A LEO was authorized to act on(make an arrest when the crime was directly observed) felonies and class A & B misdemeanors in his county(if outside his home jurisdiction) and on felonies anywhere in the state.
    That must have been some time ago....those criteria are not what are used today.
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    texascop2 said:
    Thus the case can be filed in either jurisdiction...many agencies sit in multiple counties and file in the one that expedites the case or is more conveinient.
    I once got a speeding ticket on my way back from Eagle Peak on 1431. I was "speeding" in Travis county and pulled over by a Cedar Park police officer. He waited until I crossed back into Williamson county(when I was no longer speeding) before he pulled me over(and he had plenty of time to do so w/in Travis county). Looking back, I wonder if I could have requested a change of venue to the Travis county court system since the infraction occured there? Maybe someone can chime in and let me know.
    Was responding to this post (forgot to quote).

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I know Cedar park sets in both wilco and travis counties. I was wondering if I could request the change of venue to the county in which the infraction took place. Like I said earlier, in Cedar Park, you have to pay for the officers "overtime". I was also unimpressed with the fact that he was allowed to show up late for our session(while another officer kept me waiting outside an empty courtroom)but I would not have been allowed into the court room if I had showed up late.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I know Cedar park sets in both wilco and travis counties. I was wondering if I could request the change of venue to the county in which the infraction took place. Like I said earlier, in Cedar Park, you have to pay for the officers "overtime". I was also unimpressed with the fact that he was allowed to show up late for our session(while another officer kept me waiting outside an empty courtroom)but I would not have been allowed into the court room if I had showed up late.
    You are speculating. the judge gets to decide who can be late and when court will begin. To answer your question, you can request anything you want but unless you have a REALLY good reason, you will probably be denied your request.
    You don't know why the officer was late. He may have had a reason to be tardy.
    A citation is a citation. you can spin your wheels about what court you are in and who was late and how unimpressed you are but you aren't likely to get anywhere. If you were not speeding, plead your case to the court and see what happens. I think any other course of action is just dragging out the inevitable.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The sign posted outside of the courtroom specifically detailed that no one would be allowed into the courtroom once it is in session. It's all "water under the bridge" now but I was thinking that maybe the "overtime" pay would not have come out of my end in the Travis county system. Also, historically wilco has been known to inflate fees to well beyond the norm. At the time of my courtcase they even had signs publicly posted acknowledging this and encouraging those who had been "overcharged" to file for a refund. It turns out that someone at a higher level of state government stepped in and forced them to stop those practices. I really don't feel like it is unreasonable to want my case to be tried in the county in which the infraction actually occurred, it were a higher profile case, I am sure that would be pretty standard(not sure if that qualifies as a REALLY good reason?). Honestly I would rather give my money to my local government than some lawyer type but if I had one, I think things would have turned out differently. I am not a hater, just not a fan of double standards.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I have a high tech sort of way to pass through areas of RADAR without so much as a look from an officer. This may sound pretty complicated to some because there are basically three types of people: those that are good with numbers and those that are not.

My deal is MMIM (Mentally Mirror the Image and Match) I look at the black and white sign on the roadside, remember what the number displayed is and match the number on my speedometer to the number encased in my mind's eye from the sign. Works every time!

so what are the other two types of people?

Top Bottom