• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I was wondering if anyone knows what the rules are surrounding crossing state lines with NFA items. I am going north for some hunting and vacation and wanted to take my SBR with me as I always get a chance to do some good shooting while I am up there out in the country.....
    DK Firearms

Acetone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    I don't know first hand, but I believe you have to write the ATF or fill out some form and let them know that you are taking it out of state. When they approve it, you should be good to go. I think the turn around takes a while. I would err on the side of caution and get ATF approval before taking them out of state.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    (M21) Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate? [Back]
    Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[url]http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m21[/URL]

smee78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    You know it's kind of silly that you go through all the paper work and trouble to purchase such items and still cant take it where you want.:banghead:

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I believe the form you will need is a 5320 and the ATF has always done mine very quickly. I listed mine as an ongoing trip for the year and was able to go to the states listed without any issues. Turnaround time should be fairly quick.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I have called the ATF and spoken with my examiner the day before I left . . . faxed the form to her. . . . and received it back, signed, by fax, the same afternoon.

Don;t recommend this, but these forms are easy and generally quickly turned around.

Top Bottom