Crossing State Lines with NFA Items

Discussion in 'Class III / NFA' started by biglucky, Oct 18, 2009.

1. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I was wondering if anyone knows what the rules are surrounding crossing state lines with NFA items. I am going north for some hunting and vacation and wanted to take my SBR with me as I always get a chance to do some good shooting while I am up there out in the country.....

2. biglucky

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Nobody?? I guess I will leave it home..

3. Acetone

Acetone Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    I don't know first hand, but I believe you have to write the ATF or fill out some form and let them know that you are taking it out of state. When they approve it, you should be good to go. I think the turn around takes a while. I would err on the side of caution and get ATF approval before taking them out of state.

4. jasont

jasont Active Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m21

5. biglucky

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Thanks for the info guys.

6. Ataim0002

Ataim0002 New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Dallas, TX
  7. smee78

smee78 Member

Nov 18, 2008
    You know it's kind of silly that you go through all the paper work and trouble to purchase such items and still cant take it where you want.:banghead:

8. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I believe the form you will need is a 5320 and the ATF has always done mine very quickly. I listed mine as an ongoing trip for the year and was able to go to the states listed without any issues. Turnaround time should be fairly quick.

9. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I have called the ATF and spoken with my examiner the day before I left . . . faxed the form to her. . . . and received it back, signed, by fax, the same afternoon.

Don;t recommend this, but these forms are easy and generally quickly turned around.