• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I want to update and upgrade my military tactical gear and I want to know how certain current gear is worn and what is compatible with what.

First of all, I have a tactical drop leg holster, does that mount on the web belt on the acu pants or do I need a pistol belt?
    Second, Ive been wanting some kind of tactical vest something like a molle vest so I can customize it the way I need it. Ive seen a full vest and ones with the suspenders, what one works the best?
    Third, where is a combat knife like a ka bar suppose to mount?
    Do they make pistol lanyards for pistols that dont have the ring? For some reason my pt-101 doesnt have one :(
    Lastly for now, do they make a universal 3 point sling for an ak rifle?
    ARJ Defense ad

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    These were the last Load Vests I was issued before my separation from the Army. They were still used with the web belt. We wore the first aid on our left shoulder. I used to keep my bayonet on my right shoulder handle down for quick pull release.

D-Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    These were the last Load Vests I was issued before my separation from the Army. They were still used with the web belt. We wore the first aid on our left shoulder. I used to keep my bayonet on my right shoulder handle down for quick pull release.

I got one with a belt if you are interested, make me an offer. It is in the garage taking up space. PM me if you are interested and what you want to offer in trade.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Actually I have one. Thats why I was saying I wanted to upgrade to current issue. I have a lot of 80's up till desert storm issued gear.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have no military experience, I'm just coming from a practical common sense point of view so take my words with a grain and all. Personally, I love MOLLE gear and think it is the way to go now compared to old ALICE gear or some of the other previous standards out there. It provides a ton of options for customization, and there is now a lot of good quality gear out there for decent prices too. Right now I have a plate carrier patterned off the Eagle CIRAS. It works and I like it. After playing around with it a bit though, I've decided that the next plate carrier I buy will be much lower profile, and possibly without cummerbunds. My current PC is rather bulky and not really ideal except for certain specific uses as I have a bit more restricted mobility with it. First, I would ask yourself what your intended goal is for your gear, and then look for stuff to fit those goals. You don't have to have just one either. Personally, I plan on having multiple vests/chest rigs. Maybe a simple chest rig for training classes, heavy PC for if I should ever come under fire (not likely but who knows), etc. If something for training classes and for fun is your primary focus right now, I'd look towards a modern MOLLE chest rig as opposed to a typical full sized "vest" or PC. Here's a good example of a chest rig:

Eagle Chest Rig, Universal/SKD Version

Something like that will hold your bare necessities but no armor plates. If you foresee yourself coming into harms way and do need the ability to carry armor plates, then there are still PC's available that aren't too bulky:

Advance Warrior Fast Attack Plate Carrier

As far as the thigh holster goes, get a good quality gun belt like this to attach it to:

BattleLab Backpack/Assaulters Accessory Belt (33"-42")

It will go a long way towards making things comfortable, plus with some limited MOLLE real estate you can mount some other essentials on it.

Another option to consider, especially if you are looking for ballistic protection, is getting a low profile plate carrier (not MOLLE) and then a low profile chest rig that you can throw on over it as necessary. This could serve many purposes. For one, some of those lowpro PC's are concealable, so you could potentially walk around with levelIIIA or even levelIV (if you use a plate) protection concealed under your regular clothes. Then maybe have a lowpro chest rig around (trunk of the car or where applicable) that you can easily throw on if you find yourself under fire. This stuff makes perfect sense for the LE professional, but it is making more and more sense every day for the average civy as you just never know where some crazed psycho could strike. Here's some concealable armor to give you an idea:

R.C.V. Predator Concealable Vest V-PDCO
    Predator Low-Vis. Carrier

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You may want to check out a Blackhawk Serpa thigh holster. They have swivels on each of the leg straps so the straps can move freely with your leg and won't want to loosen themselves up quite as much. One thing I've found is, if you still have problems, try wearing the leg strap(s) just a little loose while keeping the holster sitting very high. Yes it will move around just a little bit more, though that lack of tension around the leg will keep it from wanting to constantly loosen up every time you kneel, squat, or make any other large lower body movement. The proper height for a thigh holster is usually with the top strap right at your groin area and with the gun sitting in just about the same position as a duty holster drop platform (maybe a couple inches below the belt). This will clear any vest or armor, the gun will still be easy to reach, and it won't be bouncing around near your knee.

Country_boy, if you ever want to, you are more than welcome to check out my vest sometime. May not be exactly what you are looking for, but at least it would help get you pointed in the right direction.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The problem I have with the leg holster I have is over time it twists with the pant leg and ends up loose and to the inside of my leg. Actually I was looking at this molle vest. MOLLE-218 - ModGear Quick Release Plate Carrier Coyote, Fully Adjustable One Size Fits Most, Does not Include Armored Plates

If your holster is doing that, something is wrong IMO. Wear it as high as possible and tighten the leg straps as much as you can without cutting off circulation. A pistol belt may help, too since they're designed to be used with them.

What kind of holster do you have anyway? That can make a difference, IMO. Cheap gear is, well... cheap.

This is what's current for load-carrying in the Army: Improved Outer Tactical Vest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the Marines: Modular Tactical Vest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Are you using your equipment for Tacticool purposes, job related purposes, or are you in the military? If the third choice is the answer- unless you are an operator of some sort, we are pretty limited to what we wear.

I'm confused why you even would want to carry a Ka-Bar, ballistic plates, etc. Just trying to figure out the root of your problem.

If you want advice from a pretty good website, check out this dude Nutnfancy on You Tube: YouTube - nutnfancy's Channel, he reviews tons of gear, weapons, and lights.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    The problem I have with the leg holster I have is over time it twists with the pant leg and ends up loose and to the inside of my leg. Actually I was looking at this molle vest. MOLLE-218 - ModGear Quick Release Plate Carrier Coyote, Fully Adjustable One Size Fits Most, Does not Include Armored Plates

What type of drop leg do you have? Does it have a single leg strap? If so you might want to move to one with two leg straps like the aforementioned Blackhawk Serpa or a Sarfariland XXXX. The dual leg straps when properly used will keep what you describe from happening. I personally find it best to hang the drop leg off of my fist line gear which is a molle belt from 5.11 and some other pouches such as spare hydro (nalgene) and my HSGI Dump Pouch, I also use HSGI suspenders to hold that belt up, that will help keep your drop leg from riding down also.

As far as rigs go, that is all about user preference. SF guys are issued mostly all Eagle gear. I personally have two rigs that I really love a HSGI Wasatch and a Diamondback Tactical FAPC2 with a cumberbund with Lvl 3 side armor. The HSGI is great if front and rear plates is all you are looking for and if you want the side protection the DBT is great.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    What type of drop leg do you have? Does it have a single leg strap? If so you might want to move to one with two leg straps like the aforementioned Blackhawk Serpa or a Sarfariland XXXX. The dual leg straps when properly used will keep what you describe from happening. I personally find it best to hang the drop leg off of my fist line gear which is a molle belt from 5.11 and some other pouches such as spare hydro (nalgene) and my HSGI Dump Pouch, I also use HSGI suspenders to hold that belt up, that will help keep your drop leg from riding down also.

As far as rigs go, that is all about user preference. SF guys are issued mostly all Eagle gear. I personally have two rigs that I really love a HSGI Wasatch and a Diamondback Tactical FAPC2 with a cumberbund with Lvl 3 side armor. The HSGI is great if front and rear plates is all you are looking for and if you want the side protection the DBT is great.

Let me clarify that I am a civilian who is just into being prepared in case we all get thrown into the line of fire...

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Are you using your equipment for Tacticool purposes, job related purposes, or are you in the military? If the third choice is the answer- unless you are an operator of some sort, we are pretty limited to what we wear.

I'm confused why you even would want to carry a Ka-Bar, ballistic plates, etc. Just trying to figure out the root of your problem.

If you want advice from a pretty good website, check out this dude Nutnfancy on You Tube: YouTube - nutnfancy's Channel, he reviews tons of gear, weapons, and lights.

No Im just getting ready for when worse comes to worse. If it should happen. Ballistics plates?? I dont remember asking about bullet protection? I was wanting some sort of assault vest like the molle system. So i can keep multiple mags ready etc. I dont see a problem with me owning a ka bar??

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Haha, I didn't mean to sound rude :) Again, you mentioned Ka-Bars and I run into a lot of convos like that at work (Army). Some of my guys (non-Infantry/Scout tyoes) think it is "cool" to carry a big-ass blade on their shoulder...but never train how to employ it with/without weapon. If you are going to own it- train with it. If not, don't waste your time buying junk which will collect dust until the fabled "doomsday".

Great thread BTW- I have seen some good ideas for drop-leg holsters on here. I run into the same issue but have transitioned from a cheap Uncle Bucks to Safariland during OIF2 and OIF-8-10 and now am looking for a rig which is lightweight, secure, and able to hold that heavy 92F when I deploy again this year.

Enjoy your research and shopping....

Top Bottom