• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    The plasma TV's were Radio Frequency Interference generators (RFI) and among the worst things ever. The FCC banned them IIRC because of it. Any ham radio operator in your neighborhood knew exactly when you turned it on every day as the noise wiped out his radio. Verboten

I've never heard plasma tvs were banned by the FCC. It's my understanding they were discontinued due to lower consumer demand since they were more expensive to buy, used more electricity and weren't as bright as LED TVs in a store showrooms. By today's standards, they still produce one of the best TV pictures in a TV. The blacks aren't as inky black as OLED, but close enough.

Whatever the reason, I'm not a fan of curved or LCD/LED TVs. A curve screen has more distortion and the sweet spot for watching a curse screen is even smaller compared to a flat screen TV. OLED would be my choice if buying today. Micro LED will be the best of both LED and OLED when it goes into mass production. But last I read, they were having a difficult time mass producing the panels to make it a viable product.
    Texas SOT

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    The plasma TV's were Radio Frequency Interference generators (RFI) and among the worst things ever. The FCC banned them IIRC because of it. Any ham radio operator in your neighborhood knew exactly when you turned it on every day as the noise wiped out his radio. Verboten

Searched for FCC banning plasma TV and didn't find anything except where the EU (in Europe) was considering banning them. But they considered banning due to high energy use. I think CA was also considering banning them for the same reason.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Plasma died because some locales did ban them - including CA - due to concerns over power consumption compared to LCD/LED.

The EU and UK were also considering it, but I’m not sure they were actually enacted.

This, and mostly declining consumer demand, ultimately killed them.

While picture quality was great, they were significantly more-expensive to produce at larger sizes (>50”) compared to LED/LCD, and even OLED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Plasma died because some locales did ban them - including CA - due to concerns over power consumption compared to LCD/LED.

The EU and UK were also considering it, but I’m not sure they were actually enacted.

This, and mostly declining consumer demand, ultimately killed them.

While picture quality was great, they were significantly more-expensive to produce at larger sizes (>50”) compared to LED/LCD, and even OLED.

Back in the day the reverse was true. A large plasma was far cheaper than a large LED/LCD flatscreen. The gallon g price and improved performance of LED lighting/boards is most likely the real killer.

When I bought my TV a comparable LED screen would have cost around 50% more, and a lower quality picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Back in the day the reverse was true. A large plasma was far cheaper than a large LED/LCD flatscreen. The gallon g price and improved performance of LED lighting/boards is most likely the real killer.

When I bought my TV a comparable LED screen would have cost around 50% more, and a lower quality picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that’s also true

From what I’ve read, plasma was expensive once it scaled-up beyond 50”.

Plus the technology would never allow the ultra-thin, ultra-lightweight displays we see today. This might have been the biggest factor.

In the early 2000’s I worked at an agency called TBWA/Chiat-Day. We had the Pioneer Kuro account (I didn’t work on it). We had Kuro plasmas everywhere, and the picture was amazing. I think they’re still the gold standard for plasma.

I’ve got a 50” last-generation Samsung plasma in our master bedroom. I got it for an amazing price...should have sold it because they were commanding 2x - 3x the price on eBay soon after they were discontinued.

It’s only in the MBR because it’s too small for my living room...it has a better picture, and amazing black levels, compared to my relatively new 75” LCD display that’s in our living room now.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I could tell no difference in the OLED and the Samsung QLED 4k.
    The easiest way to see the difference is if you have them side by side with something like a space scape. You would immediately notice the difference in the amount of detail. I don't feel any buyers remorse over getting a Q70 though. It's an amazingly nice TV

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The easiest way to see the difference is if you have them side by side with something like a space scape. You would immediately notice the difference in the amount of detail. I don't feel any buyers remorse over getting a Q70 though. It's an amazingly nice TV
    I saw them side by side in the store and still couldn't tell a difference.

Maybe just old, bad eyes.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I saw them side by side in the store and still couldn't tell a difference.

Maybe just old, bad eyes.

Something to note with TV’s:
    They’re displayed in “store mode” which makes them super bright and contrast goes way up...this to better grab your attention when comparing on the showroom floor.

When you’re setting-up a TV in your home, you may have seen this in the settings.

At any rate, it makes black levels more of a gray, and there’s lots of color blooming.

Once they’re properly setup in your home, the picture gets waaaay better.

The best way to calibrate a new TV, is to get a technician to do it. Or you can use a calibration DVD/BlueRay disc.

Since most of us don’t do this...if you search for your TV model at:
    https://www.avsforum.com/
    ...there’s a good chance that a tech has already calibrated your model, so you can just use the settings that are posted.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I could tell no difference in the OLED and the Samsung QLED 4k.

OLED TVs compared to Samsung's QLED have better contrast, of axis viewing and deeper blacks. OLED have always produced a better picture than any LED tv when view side by side. OLED has been rated the best overall picture since they were released. Even better than a plasma picture. But they are more expensive.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    OLED TVs compared to Samsung's QLED have better contrast, of axis viewing and deeper blacks. OLED have always produced a better picture than any LED tv when view side by side. OLED has been rated the best overall picture since they were released. Even better than a plasma picture. But they are more expensive.
    That is what the marketing told me, but I could not see it when they were side by side.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The three knocks against OLED:
    1. Price compared to LED
    2. Overall brightness not as good as LED, may not be great in some very bright environments
    3. Potential burn-in issues

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Burn in..., more likely image retention. My Panasonic ZT, which is one of the last Panasonic tvs sold in the US, is the worse for image retention. Took over a year to remove a channel logo with regular tv watching. I'd giving up trying to remove it, thinking it was burn in. Purchased my first plasma tv in 2005, and non have experienced the image retention as persistent. I can't really complain, all are still working and have great pictures. And the ZT has the best picture of all of them. The blacks in that tv rivals the black level of the older Pioneer plasma.

My 58" Panasonic V10 has the rising black problem. But purchased a device that automatically resets the black levels after a specific number of hours back to the levels when it was new.

But after watching a new 4K tv on my porch, I'm ready to more up to a 65" 4K OLED with Dolby Vision.

Top Bottom