Lynx Defense

Cuss word filtering and other family-friendly measures.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Cant cuss but keep racists, it wont be long before i leave

Glad I missed that...Might have to hunt it down and read it just to know who to ignore for being one, though.

As for the cussing, I find it very difficult to discuss the anti-gun agenda without resorting to four-letter descriptive terms here and there.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

Oh, **** yes.

And now to play a little more Devil's advocate. My personal thoughts on cussing and gun ownership- if you aren't adult enough to handle a little harsh language, what the **** makes you think you can handle owning a tool designed to inflict death and extreme suffering?

Ever see pics or vids of people who have been shot? Trust me, it's a lot more disturbing than a brief stream of vowels and consonants.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    A no cussing rule wouldn't bother me one way or the other. I don't have to use profanity. It slips into my everyday conversations, but I can edit out things if need be. I wonder if you can say rusty trombone, arab goggles or tossing your salad?

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hadn't realized that the board was being censored until earlier. I guess the **** has hit the fan and someone didn't like standing in the breeze.

Or maybe censorship is funny......

Hudson & Landry - Obscene Phone Bust - YouTube

Either way, I don't really give an aerial intercourse through a highly motivated circular pastry. There will just be some ****ing asterisks in a few of my future posts.........

LeeD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Texas
    I am late to the thread....my apologies! :)

Today's filter update was one of several "tweaks" we typically make after transitioning a site over to our servers. Kevin is working on several fixes (like the polls, the sub-forum issue, the feedback system, and so on) and the language filter, though not broken in any way, was updated by our standard list of words to filter. We didn't give it much thought (OUR BAD) and realize that TGT is a more adult oriented community (topically so). Thus, I have gone in to the filter and remove approximately half of the words. Our intention (as previously stated) is to make the forum more family friendly and PG-13 in nature. PG was not our aim and the changes I made to the filter should reflect that.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. This was a mistake on our part, something we definitely should have thought through further before implementation.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Sorry guys :)

I jumped the gun on this one for sure.

At this point once we fix ITrader and add a like button, I will open a new thread, asking if anyone else has any changes needed. This was just a mistake on my part, robotically trying to make sure we got some of the errors and bugs fixed. That's all.

Sorry again, truly :)

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Can't cuss so get mad? Really?

This amuses me

It's the censorship for the purpose of "sanitizing" the forum that is making people mad. This was a good place to share knowledge because it had a vibe of authenticity to it. If it turns into just another generic money machine populated by boring douchebags we will lose our best members.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Our intention (as previously stated) is to make the forum more family friendly and PG-13 in nature.

I'm just not seeing the point. You are essentially making the board less competitive with every other gun board. I guess the Man Cave is forever deleted?

Let's try this again and see where we stand: "****, piss, ****, ****, **********, mother****er, and ****."

"**** the hammer."

bwalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    N/W Houston
    I guess I'm a little late getting into this, but sometimes I actually have to work for a living.

TGT was the only gun board I know of which allowed its users to speak like adults as long as we weren't attacking each other. That included using adult language and speaking about adult topics. Which brings us to what this forum is about: Guns. We discuss tools and tactics used to end human life. This isn't a PG topic. It isn't family friendly. It is as adult as it gets. Why then are we allowed to speak as much as we want about such adult subject matter, only to have certain things which are less adult-oriented verboten?

First of all, I don't think you are out of line at all. However, I disagree with a lot of what you wrote. In fact, if I were so inclined I'd refer to it as dog dump.

I don't mean to slam you but I don't understand why using "cuss" words is considered speaking like an adult. I hear it more from punk kids, trying to act tough, than I do from adults.

I was raised in a Christian family and was taught that the language one uses is a general reflection of their character and intelligence. I have a couple of friends who served in the Navy as "nukes", one of them never swears and the other has an occasional tendency to "talk like a sailor" when he gets pissed off. That's his choice and he knows I appreciate it when he tries to reign it in around me.

I've taught my kids that cuss words are not appropriate language. I also live that teaching by example. In my opinion, choosing to express yourself with cuss words simply gives the impression that you have a very limited vocabulary. What's the point in talking like that? How difficult is it to control something as small as your tongue?

And now to play a little more Devil's advocate. My personal thoughts on cussing and gun ownership- if you aren't adult enough to handle a little harsh language, what the **** makes you think you can handle owning a tool designed to inflict death and extreme suffering?

Ever see pics or vids of people who have been shot? Trust me, it's a lot more disturbing than a brief stream of vowels and consonants.

Now that comes across as a juvenile attitude. You seem to imply that you feel more adult because you find it acceptable to curse. Someone can't handle a weapon if they don't like cursing? Seriously?

Now on to guns, life and death. Life and death are a reality. I don't think it is a PG topic at all. Don't all responsible parents teach their kids about "stranger danger?" When you look at all the evil in the world, isn't that one of the main reasons why we feel so strongly about our 2A right to bear arms? My kids know it's a dangerous world. I take my kids shooting with me and they know why we practice. They know why we are armed and ready to use our guns to protect ourselves.

Texas Gun Talk is a great place with generally great people. I guess I'm in the minority on this but I see the cuss word filter as a good thing. It actually strikes me as being somewhat childish to resort to using crude language. Isn't it time to grow up? Heck, why don't you just use your freaking brain and find some new adjectives?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I was raised in a Christian family and was taught that the language one uses is a general reflection of their character and intelligence.

For the past five semesters I've consecutively got honors or Presidential honors at my school. I'm smart. I cuss. Just because one can reflect on the other does not mean it must.

You seem to imply that you feel more adult because you find it acceptable to curse. Someone can't handle a weapon if they don't like cursing?

Like the first half of your post, you are oversimplifying.

LeeD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Texas
    I'm just not seeing the point. You are essentially making the board less competitive with every other gun board. I guess the Man Cave is forever deleted?
    We still have not discussed the man cave's future, nor had time to dig into it and recover some of the great content that had been posted in that forum.

I don't think we make the forum "less competitive" by removing a few obscene words / phrases. PG-13 is reasonable and how we like to see our communities run.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    PG-13 is reasonable and how we like to see our communities run.

Are you saying this was an "R" rated forum? I'm sure you've been around the web, and you must know that is a ridiculous notion. Go browse 4chan for 5 minutes.

TGT has the most accurate information about weapons law and practical policy of any forum on the web. People could come here and get real help. Why? Because it was a free community, and smart and educated people are attracted to free communities. If you make the forum what you consider PG-13 you will drive away these people and lose what made TGT unique.

Last edited:

LeeD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Texas
    Are you saying this was an "R" rated forum? I'm sure you've been around the web, and you must know that is a ridiculous notion. Go browse 4chan for 5 minutes.

TGT has the most accurate information about weapons law and practical policy than any other forum on the web. People could come here and get real help. Why? Because it was a free community, and smart and educated people are attracted to free communities. If you make the forum what you consider PG-13 you will drive away these people and lose what made TGT unique.
    I think you are jumping to conclusions. TGT's rules have changed over time and today's mishap (with the momentary over-filtering) is just another small change in a multi-year timeline.

We don't plan on driving anyone away. We plan on enhancing the community and making it more enjoyable, even doing giveaways and working with Texas gun shops that are willing to offer prizes and sponsor giveaways. We have a lot of fun things in store in the coming weeks and months.

We have been managing / running forums for 9 years and don't plan to do anything that will run this forum into the ground.

Top Bottom