Custom AR grip (HK-pistol style)

radioflyer

Mar 21, 2009
So I couldn't quite find a grip that fit my had as well as I'd like, so I took a UTG sniper's grip:

http://centerfiresystems.com/productimages/ar-15/AR-GRIP-UTG-D.jpg

And sanded the hell out of it until its contours were nearly identical to my Hk P30 (which fits like a glove) then proceeded to stipple the grip in the same (though slightly modified) pattern.

Here is the result:
IMG_5383_zps73465936.jpg

IMG_5382_zps1cca0ba7.jpg

IMG_5385_zps1bb83e20.jpg

Stippling was done with an angled needle-point tip of a wood-burner.

London

The advocate's Devil.
TGT Supporter
Sep 28, 2010
Twilight Zone
Come on! Seven hours and no one but me appreciates this?!

I guess you'll have to love your own hard work. Not that many people know much about how much goes into customizing "Small" things like this anyway. If it's any consolation I know how much time and skill it takes to do stuff like this. Damn Chinese... if people paid American prices for this kind of work they'd care! :p

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
Hard to tell from the first pic, but is that a weapon light and it is mounted on top of the handguard? How is that mount attached?

Big Phil

Well-Known
Feb 20, 2013
SATX
Looks like a VTAC mount. If I'm right they mount via picatinny rail. For $24 it's a hard mount to beat.

OP nice work, it's nice that you were able to change the original product but make it look "stock". I also use a wood burner for my stippling, I like the extra options for tips.

radioflyer

Mar 21, 2009
Friggin' awesome work, man. How long did it take you?
The sanding to get the right shape took about 2-3 hours (over a period of a few weeks while I tested it out. I find that a narrower grip with minimal bulges or swells works best for me.

The Stippling took about 3 hours. I marked out the areas I wanted to texture with a sharpie, then just set to work. The key is to never let the tip touch the plastic for more than a quarter second.

Hard to tell from the first pic, but is that a weapon light and it is mounted on top of the handguard? How is that mount attached?
Looks like a VTAC mount. If I'm right they mount via picatinny rail. For $24 it's a hard mount to beat.

OP nice work, it's nice that you were able to change the original product but make it look "stock". I also use a wood burner for my stippling, I like the extra options for tips.
Correct on the Vtac mount. The light is a Fenix PD 20. IMO it's the idea weapon light due to size, weight and cost. I carry one on my person all the time and also have one mounted on my 12ga. With rechargeable 123 batteries, it's a $80-100 setup.

Southpaw

Plague enthusiast
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
Nice work, had you not told me, I would have asked where you bought that grip from. One day I'll have the time to do stuff like this....one day?? :confused:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
Correct on the Vtac mount. .
main reason i asked is that it looks to be sitting almost on top of the handguard. Is that the case and how do you manage to manipulate the switch easily in that position. Or is it just photo-illusion?

Kyle

Needs More Cowbell!
TGT Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
Hill Country
Thats awesome! Nice work

Top Bottom