• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    So I couldn't quite find a grip that fit my had as well as I'd like, so I took a UTG sniper's grip:

http://centerfiresystems.com/productimages/ar-15/AR-GRIP-UTG-D.jpg

And sanded the hell out of it until its contours were nearly identical to my Hk P30 (which fits like a glove) then proceeded to stipple the grip in the same (though slightly modified) pattern.

Here is the result:
    IMG_5383_zps73465936.jpg

IMG_5382_zps1cca0ba7.jpg

IMG_5385_zps1bb83e20.jpg

Stippling was done with an angled needle-point tip of a wood-burner.
    Military Camp

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Come on! Seven hours and no one but me appreciates this?!

I guess you'll have to love your own hard work. Not that many people know much about how much goes into customizing "Small" things like this anyway. If it's any consolation I know how much time and skill it takes to do stuff like this. Damn Chinese... if people paid American prices for this kind of work they'd care! :p

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Hard to tell from the first pic, but is that a weapon light and it is mounted on top of the handguard? How is that mount attached?

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    Looks like a VTAC mount. If I'm right they mount via picatinny rail. For $24 it's a hard mount to beat.

OP nice work, it's nice that you were able to change the original product but make it look "stock". I also use a wood burner for my stippling, I like the extra options for tips.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Friggin' awesome work, man. How long did it take you?

The sanding to get the right shape took about 2-3 hours (over a period of a few weeks while I tested it out. I find that a narrower grip with minimal bulges or swells works best for me.

The Stippling took about 3 hours. I marked out the areas I wanted to texture with a sharpie, then just set to work. The key is to never let the tip touch the plastic for more than a quarter second.

Hard to tell from the first pic, but is that a weapon light and it is mounted on top of the handguard? How is that mount attached?

Looks like a VTAC mount. If I'm right they mount via picatinny rail. For $24 it's a hard mount to beat.

OP nice work, it's nice that you were able to change the original product but make it look "stock". I also use a wood burner for my stippling, I like the extra options for tips.

Correct on the Vtac mount. The light is a Fenix PD 20. IMO it's the idea weapon light due to size, weight and cost. I carry one on my person all the time and also have one mounted on my 12ga. With rechargeable 123 batteries, it's a $80-100 setup.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Nice work, had you not told me, I would have asked where you bought that grip from. One day I'll have the time to do stuff like this....one day?? :confused:

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Push button on the back. I can easily manipulate it with my thumb with my support wrapped around the AFG.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom