• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    No pictures. I cut my big toe on a gun case that was lying around. It's the pad side on the bottom. There's about a dime/penny size, thick flap of skin hanging on. It cut deep. Not a surface cut. I have it cleaned and bandaged up nicely. Should I get stitches or keep it wrapped? I had a similar situation where I cut my thumb with an axe and kept it bandaged and immobilized for a week and it closed up. I'm worried that walking too much will keep it from healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If it were me, I wouldn't go to the hospital. If something hasn't killed me, I don't see any reason to bother with doctors.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Now days superglue is sometimes used in place of stitches (Dermabond). I had a kidney removed by laparoscopic surgery. They pulled it out through an incision in my navel and after the surgery my navel was full of superglue. Took weeks to get it all out.

Your main concern is going to be infection. Stitches or gluing the wound closed helps to keep out bacteria and aids in preventing infection and speeds up healing. The wound needs to be very clean before closing because you don't want to seal in bacteria; that would lead to infection.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I used to get nails and stuff stuck in my feet a lot. Deep cuts as well. Biggest problem is keeping it bacteria free. Wash several times a day if possible and keep it as dry as possible. To cut down on bacteria, take several pairs of clean socks with you and change them as often as possible. Antiseptic when you do does not hurt either.

sent by an idjit coffeeholic

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Had a buddy break his big toe while wearing steel toed work boots at work. He didn't give it much thought. Ended up he is diabetic so gangrene set in. When he finally went to the doctor they had to amputate the big toe & the next one. Now he has to wear overpriced prosthetic shoes & boots.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    2ff5f3485689cd8162b86a36b53f6203.jpg

Picture doesn't do it justice. Dime size flap. Changing bandage now

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    View attachment 128705
    Picture doesn't do it justice. Dime size flap. Changing bandage now

No. Wrap it up. I've had more stitches then I'd like to remember. Butterfly tape too. I once dropped a straight razor on my foot in the shower. The blade hit right between a couple of toes. The bathtub flushed red. I never got stiches from that one. The butterfly tape was from getting hit in the face(above my eye) with the busted, gnarly, end of an old 2x6. Thanks to my brother for that one.

Hands and feet heal faster then say your forearm. Stabbed myself in the underside forearm with a multitool. That was stiches. 3 on the inside, 4 on the outside. Sliced my hand on some broke glass doing something else, no stitches.

Keep it clean and wrapped for a couple days and you'll be ok. By the third day it will dry out.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm not a doctor, but if that were me I know from plenty of similar experiences I'd just keep it clean and leave it alone to heal. But I'm kind of a knucklehead like that, I basically have to be unable to control bleeding for 6+ hours before my wife's incessant "you know you really need to go to the doctor" reminders finally sink in.

Just Geri

Well-Known
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Clean with Soap and water. Then, Peroxide and bandage 3 times a day. Only add Neosporin to the treatment 1 time a day, preferably night time and just a little. It you use Neosporin too much and there is any bacteria in there...It will heal the skin over it and trap it in, causing infection.

Top Bottom