• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    I broke a rib the other day in a fall in my yard while turning my Harley around. The ground was pretty soggy and slippery and I hit a root and it fell over. I think the beavertail on my handgun jabbed me in the ribs and caused the break since that fall should not have done it. I've had a lot worse falls and not broken anything. I've broken ribs before, so I know what they feel like and know that unless they are sticking in a lung (in which case you are coughing up blood) or sticking through the skin (in which case there will be blood on your shirt and you will probably notice the bone sticking out), all the doctor will do is tell you that you are an idiot and not to do it again. I've got a wife to tell me those things, so I don't need to go pay a doctor to do it. :)

Spent the last 2 days mostly sleeping so I don't have to deal with the pain. It isn't bad enough that I am willing to raid my emergency stash of oxy that a doctor once prescribed to me for another medical issue a few years ago.
    Hurley's Gold

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Funny about ribs. In my late 40's I was having some chronic right side pain and during a scan they mentioned some broken ribs. But these were on my left side and covered in scar tissue so they said I probably did this as a kid. Ah, I recall riding my new ten-speed and running into the back of the neighbor's pickup so hard it cracked the frame when I was about 10. Not wanting to admit my mistake and Sears covered it as a defect I recall living through some pain for a week or so.

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    I broke a rib the other day in a fall in my yard while turning my Harley around. The ground was pretty soggy and slippery and I hit a root and it fell over. I think the beavertail on my handgun jabbed me in the ribs and caused the break since that fall should not have done it. I've had a lot worse falls and not broken anything. I've broken ribs before, so I know what they feel like and know that unless they are sticking in a lung (in which case you are coughing up blood) or sticking through the skin (in which case there will be blood on your shirt and you will probably notice the bone sticking out), all the doctor will do is tell you that you are an idiot and not to do it again. I've got a wife to tell me those things, so I don't need to go pay a doctor to do it.

Spent the last 2 days mostly sleeping so I don't have to deal with the pain. It isn't bad enough that I am willing to raid my emergency stash of oxy that a doctor once prescribed to me for another medical issue a few years ago.

No kidding about this: be sure to deep breath every couple of hours or more, cough to see if you are retaining secretions, and if so, cough them up. If you cough up blood, get to a Physician; if you suddenly feel like you can’t get enough air, it can be a collapsed Lung so call 911, or get a quick ride to the ER. If your Deep Breathing Volumes are Reduced, and this is not because of pain, there may be Blood or Air trapped in the Pleural Space between your Lung and Chest Cavity.

A trip to an Urgent Care (at least) that provides a simple AP and Lateral Radiological Chest Series early on can rule out these factors for a reasonable cost (unlike an ER), so it was, and is, still advisable; and absolutely necessary if you start to have an increased temperature. Be sure to Drink Plenty of Fluids to keep secretions loose. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Looking at it objectively, I think that beavertail on the SAR K2-45 might just be attracted to ribs...

sar-k2-45-wood-grips.jpg

I'm thinking that my new name for it will be a "Turkish Rib Tickler"... :(

Last edited:

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Beware of MRSA, staph, necrotizing fasciitis, vibrio etc., anytime you have an open wound.

Right after this past Christmas, a lady I grew up with "noticed a couple of spots" on her leg. Didn't think it merited medical attention. Dead eight days later. True story.

Top Bottom