• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Finally gave SuddenSucks the heave ho awhile back.
    Found I have no source for news on the TV. And the radio only does 3 or 4 stories over and over. The local Fox affiliate is locally ultra liberal crap same as all the networks.
    I have to come here to learn my flowered shirts are racist.
    Got a ROKU box but for anything live, you must pay. The free stuff has ads. But no up to date news I only have Netflix because someone else pays.
    Between the ROKU and the antenna, there is nothing to watch, just like when I had cable TV. But I still have a lot of channels.
    Guess this is good for me. When I do put on some live news I seldom last more than 5 minutes before my blood pressure is pounding. Think I'll enjoy a B&W western I've only seen 20 times or another episode of MASH or a modern marvel of the late 1990's
    ARJ Defense ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I cut cable over 20yrs ago.
    One of the best things I've ever done.
    Give it some time amigo.
    Soon you'll have no idea of who the latest TV asswipe is(nor care).
    What I find funny is all these years later the cable company still sends me mail begging me to re-subscribe. LoL!
    Do have an old TV on free broadcast that gets watched mainly during hurricanes for weather updates.
    The old computer/InteRwebZ works just fine for news.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Agreed. Haven’t had cable in years & years. But then, I also just don’t watch TV any more. Nothing that’s terribly interesting to me, program-wise and I sure as hell don’t give a damn what this week’s political position is from some ‘talking heads’ I care even less about!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Once we moved to the rural part of the county, your choices for TV were limited. Antenna or satellite. Still no cable down here after sixteen years of living here, and with the very few number of people living in this area, I seriously doubt there will be cable anytime in the near future!

We also cut our landline and satellite TV provider over two years ago. We went to cell phones, satellite internet, and the Roku device. Our monthly costs have dropped drastically since doing that.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I get cable on random occasion when my wife decides it would be really nice, yada yada. She knows I don't give a crap about anything on tv for the most part, especially not cable. I also don't watch the news. Most information gets analog filtering via people disseminating information. I'll hear about important things, if I have interest, the internet can inform me on the rest. The news is mostly sensationalism trash, and streaming services cost a fraction of the price and often will have shows within the week that they're aired. So in the end I cancel cable and tell her once again, not worth it. Digital streaming services are cheap and abundant. If you don't wanna pay, you don't have to for most things, just watch the same commercial twenty times during a show.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    I cut the cable but kept the satellite for the wife.
    Amazing when growing up there was only ABC, NBC, CBS and we always had something to watch. Now we have satellite and ROKU. There are tons of channels and nothing to watch!

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I cut cable tv services a long time ago as well, also have suddenlink. We kept cable, got a roku and subscribed to sling tv (blue package). We get most, if not all, the channels we watched on cable, which is not very many. Overall, sling is probably the best option out there.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Finally gave SuddenSucks the heave ho awhile back.
    Found I have no source for news on the TV. And the radio only does 3 or 4 stories over and over. The local Fox affiliate is locally ultra liberal crap same as all the networks.
    I have to come here to learn my flowered shirts are racist.
    Got a ROKU box but for anything live, you must pay. The free stuff has ads. But no up to date news I only have Netflix because someone else pays.
    Between the ROKU and the antenna, there is nothing to watch, just like when I had cable TV. But I still have a lot of channels.
    Guess this is good for me. When I do put on some live news I seldom last more than 5 minutes before my blood pressure is pounding. Think I'll enjoy a B&W western I've only seen 20 times or another episode of MASH or a modern marvel of the late 1990's
    I never watch tv news.

WSJ and Fox website. Occasionally look at MSNBC website for a laugh.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Cable?

It's like rabbit ears.

Cable is like listening to AM nowadays
    I could do a whole rant on AM radio. 10 minutes of ads before and after every 5 minutes of show or canned news. I learned to love rock and roll from AM radio. And how bout FM? Houston does not even have an oldies station and most of the others are owned by 1 company. the same (I Heart) that owns the AM dial. Sucks. These people don't know there was music before 1998. They hum songs from 1968 that were poorly covered in 2004 and say they like oldies.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Streaming works well over satellite? Do you have bandwidth caps?

I have HughesNet satellite internet. When we reach our limit, it still works, but will buffer more due to slower bandwidth speed. We only notice it really towards the end of the month!

It can be sometimes aggravating to watch a movie and it stops while it catches up, but the cost compared to DishTV is so much cheaper. I had been with DishTV for over 13 years, and never upgraded the package we had, and the cost kept going up and up. When we got rid of DishTV, we were paying well over $200 a month. Our landline through Windstream with our DSL was almost $200 a month as well.

We got rid of the land line and went to cell phones. My phone costs me $21 a month, the wife's is about $35 a month, the Roku cost is $22 and is paid for. We have NetFlix, which is about $8 a month, CBS Access which is about $6 a month and Philo, which is about $6 a month. HughesNet, which now we have met the two year obligation of the contract, we own all the equipment, and our satellite bill is about $74 a month. Huge savings every month now.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have HughesNet satellite internet. When we reach our limit, it still works, but will buffer more due to slower bandwidth speed. We only notice it really towards the end of the month!

It can be sometimes aggravating to watch a movie and it stops while it catches up, but the cost compared to DishTV is so much cheaper. I had been with DishTV for over 13 years, and never upgraded the package we had, and the cost kept going up and up. When we got rid of DishTV, we were paying well over $200 a month. Our landline through Windstream with our DSL was almost $200 a month as well.

We got rid of the land line and went to cell phones. My phone costs me $21 a month, the wife's is about $35 a month, the Roku cost is $22 and is paid for. We have NetFlix, which is about $8 a month, CBS Access which is about $6 a month and Philo, which is about $6 a month. HughesNet, which now we have met the two year obligation of the contract, we own all the equipment, and our satellite bill is about $74 a month. Huge savings every month now.
    If you get good 4G signal where you're at, that might be better than the satellite. I've just never been impressed with satellite internet. There's not really anything they can do about the latency and jitter.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    If you get good 4G signal where you're at, that might be better than the satellite. I've just never been impressed with satellite internet. There's not really anything they can do about the latency and jitter.

4G signal can be spotty at times where we live. No what we have now isn't perfect, but for the savings compared to what we were spending, and Windstream service being very poor if we were having problems, I can live with it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom