• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fosty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Austin
    I live in the suburbs and I was wondering where I can go to cut my own wood with a chainsaw to bring back home for chopping.
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    There's not much public land in Texas. Most of it was sold to the railroad. Rule number one. Don't cut an oak or and especially not a pecan tree down. The trimmings are fine. Dead branches. Some of the trees around here are a couple hundred years old. Lord help you if go to cutting on somebody's pecan tree. At $6-$8 a pound at the store. It's a no go.

You'll have better luck driving out into the county. You'll see somebody with a pick up loaded with split wood. A long bed pick up with split wood loaded to the top of the bed sides is appropriately a half Cord of wood. It's usually post oak. They clear out excess growth. Post oak grows somewhat fast.

Burn all the mesquite you can.

Last edited:

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    I live in the suburbs and I was wondering where I can go to cut my own wood with a chainsaw to bring back home for chopping.

In the same boat, ended up getting a 1/2 cord for $100.00; you just gotta look, Link found on Craigslist.

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Try asking around the office, shop, etc. where you work at. Or if you ever go to one of the local watering holes, might try askin' some of the folks there.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Here are some general guidelines:
    • Contact the forest district office nearest you to obtain a permit for home firewood, Christmas tree and tree cutting instructions.
    • Wood or Christmas trees cannot be sold. Permits must be in your possession at all times while on the forest.
    • Contact each forest district office for specific dates, maps, times, and accessibility.
    • Before heading out, check the local forest for the latest warnings, such as fire or road closures.
    • Always check weather conditions for proper dress attire in the forests.
    • Tell someone you know where you are going and when you’ll return.
    • Check with local district offices before you cut dead or downed trees. Dead trees could provide animal habitat.
    • Stay away from areas along the sides of streams, rivers, lakes, and wet areas. Check with the ranger district for the proper distance.
    • Be aware of areas where trees may be weakened by storms, insect damage or fire.
    • Learn how to read a map and use a compass – and carry them both with you.

Courtesy of the US Forest service.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    duuhhh, The U.S. Forest Service manages roughly 675,000 acres of public land in Texas. They are Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine, Sam Houston in east Texas and the Caddo-Lyndon B. Johnson National Grasslands in NE Texas.

East Texas. Soft wood pine. Not worth anything but a chance to fall on your house. East Texas is speCial. Totally different animal. We're talking hardwood oak. Not pine sap.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    East Texas. Soft wood pine. Not worth anything but a chance to fall on your house. East Texas is speCial. Totally different animal. We're talking hardwood oak. Not pine sap.

sooo, ya don't know any more about trees in East Texas than ya do about the US Forest Service - sometimes it's best to just stop digging.....

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Do you seriously think only Pine grows out here?

Edit: DwnRange has this covered. ;)

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    20180122_202455.jpg

I leaned over the porch rail for this one. You really have no clue what you're talking about so I'm done trying to educate you.

Nice #5 DwnRange, I didn't know about those options.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My father beat my ass when I walked close to a peach tree. I dare you to cut that tree. Your self conscious will eat you alive.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have 20 acres covered in oaks and there is always a few dead and dying trees to cut. I keep about 3 full cords cut and dried all of the time.
    Before I bought my land I always had contacts to call. Many were landowners and they would push brush piles up of mesquites and I would go out in the winter (when the snakes were underground) and cut lots of wood out of those piles.
    Also our city has a tree and limb recycle yard.
    I still go there from time to time becuase I can find good pecan and mesquite for my smoker.
    I have found nice 3-4 ft logs of good hard woods there and I just load it up and bring it home and saw it up and split it.
    You gotta know how to tell a good tree from a junk one.
    You don't want to waste time bringing hom soft woods like mulberry, hackberry or other junk species

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Look for storm damaged areas... there are parts of Canton I pass all the time that have downed trees (lots of Oak) from the tornadoes last April stacked in burn piles... but they're not dry enough to burn yet. Some of those landowners may welcome taking them off their hands. I've got lots of old dead (standing and lying) to clean up on my own property, or I'd pursue them.

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013

1. find out bulk trash or dedicated days when tree trimmings & cut down trees can be put out for pickup.
    I get a lot of firewood by simply keeping my eyes open for trees that're set to the curb. Drive up, toss them in the truck and go.
    Also keep an eye on residential areas after a heavy storm, lots of downed trees after a storm being cut up and set to the curb. Especially in the spring when we have the heavier storms and the ground is already damp from rain.

2. keep an eye on areas being developed or being cleared for developing. Trees being pulled down and cleared out for construction.
    I made out like a bandit from the fwy widening on I-20 west of weatherford.
    2 summers past less than 20 minutes from me they cleared a small forested area to put in a new truckstop, area was heavy with oak. They just bulldozed the trees into a pile, I cut whatever I wanted. I got three cords of oak from that.

3. check craigslist, a lot of the time people already have them cut up and simply want the remains of the tree hauled off.

Top Bottom