• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TeXJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Princeton, TX
    I've bought a couple of guns from CYA and I did have an issue with my SR22p, the back slide wasnt put in properly. Called them up, they said that they could look at it and if it was a simply take out the slide and put it back in they would. Got there and they saw it would probably need a new rear sight they informed me that I would have to ship it back to Ruger and they said that they are really easy to deal with. All truth, and had no other issues arise.

Great company and would buy from them again.
    DK Firearms

zx9rt1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    So far I've no issues with them. But the again I knew what I was looking for every time I bought from them and inspected carefully before I purchased. Then again, I do that at any shop I buy from.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    As someone who worked in customer service for a long time. Customer service is 2 things.
    1. Making people happy at forking over money to you.
    2. Telling people no and them being ok with it.

Steve1126

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2015
    Irving,TX
    :usflag:
    As someone who worked in customer service for a long time. Customer service is 2 things.
    1. Making people happy at forking over money to you.
    2. Telling people no and them being ok with it.
    I too have worked in customer service for over 30 years, many of which were spent in a supervisory role. I agree completely with your statements, but would add just a couple of thoughts as well:
    1. There are some customers who, no matter what you do, will never be satisfied.
    2. There are some people who just aren’t cut out to work in a customer service environment either due to lack of patience, personality issues, etc.
    Whether it’s a gun store, auto shop, hardware store or whatever retail outlet you choose, I prefer to form my own opinion regarding their level of business acumen. Customer service is just 1 piece of the overall picture along with product selection, variety, product knowledge, return / refund /repair policy, etc. I’d pay a little extra for the same item at store A than I would at store B if store A in my opinion had more to offer than just the product I was looking for. That doesn’t mean that store B is a place that I’d trash in a public forum though, it might be a great place for a great many other folks. One person’s experience, whether it’s a positive or negative one, shouldn’t influence others and a negative experience by one person certainly isn’t fair to the owners of the business. Just think of the wide ranging reviews on the same restaurants.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    :usflag:
    I too have worked in customer service for over 30 years, many of which were spent in a supervisory role. I agree completely with your statements, but would add just a couple of thoughts as well:
    1. There are some customers who, no matter what you do, will never be satisfied.
    2. There are some people who just aren’t cut out to work in a customer service environment either due to lack of patience, personality issues, etc.
    Whether it’s a gun store, auto shop, hardware store or whatever retail outlet you choose, I prefer to form my own opinion regarding their level of business acumen. Customer service is just 1 piece of the overall picture along with product selection, variety, product knowledge, return / refund /repair policy, etc. I’d pay a little extra for the same item at store A than I would at store B if store A in my opinion had more to offer than just the product I was looking for. That doesn’t mean that store B is a place that I’d trash in a public forum though, it might be a great place for a great many other folks. One person’s experience, whether it’s a positive or negative one, shouldn’t influence others and a negative experience by one person certainly isn’t fair to the owners of the business. Just think of the wide ranging reviews on the same restaurants.

Lol oh. And don't forget the market isn't willing to pay for good customer service. (See walmarts success).

You know I worked on commission. And the more irate the customer, the more of a "solution" I could provide the more loyal of a customer. I literally made a living (in college on pissed off customers who would come back) in a dying company with horrible product offerings.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

Yep. Over-use of the Pareto Principle aside, there are those customers you're better off terminating a relationship with (and, perhaps, suggesting they work with your competitors - let THEM deal with the bad customers!).

Lol oh. And don't forget the market isn't willing to pay for good customer service. (See walmarts success).

That depends on product and consumer. For something small I don't care about returning (single use) or something relatively straightforward (a pur product), etc. Walmart is fine. For something where the value or life of the product matters more (outside of a 'simple' return), Walmart probably isn't my answer. If they sold cars, I'd never buy a car there.

OTOH, I might be paying a little extra for my USAA insurance products, but they provide EXCELLENT service, so I have no reason to price shop them and wouldn't mind paying a small premium (no pun intended) if I am in fact paying a little more. Same goes for some other business relationships I have. Apple is a good example. Apple takes ownership and fixes things. Worth a price bump to get that kind of service. YMMV.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2015
    I've had a decent run with CYA guns in Forney. Thought they were great. If I have a problem with a gun, the manufacturer is the one I call. I feel for ya, but they've got a list of distributors that they buy from to get inventory. I would go to the manufacturer...you'll be just fine.

Col_Rowdy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2015
    Partner, My Daughter had the same problem with this place. She had just received her CDL and went to CYA in Forney. she got her a nice new bretta 380 the next day she and I went to the range in Mesquite and it mis fired all the time. She took it back and they would not even talk to her... I have not ever bought from CYA nor will I ever go there....But I am an old 76 yr old retired military. and I only by from dealers that will take care of it's customer first.. thats how you get repeat business. I read all the replys to your post.. from what I see they alot of the neg post have a intrest in CYA, just by there comments it sounded like they have NO ideal how a customer should be treated..To gain his trust and repeat business. I live in Forney and just joined this forum to speak about my issue with this store. ....Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year, but most of all GOD BLESS AMERICA

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Partner, My Daughter had the same problem with this place. She had just received her CDL and went to CYA in Forney. she got her a nice new bretta 380 the next day she and I went to the range in Mesquite and it mis fired all the time. She took it back and they would not even talk to her... I have not ever bought from CYA nor will I ever go there....But I am an old 76 yr old retired military. and I only by from dealers that will take care of it's customer first.. thats how you get repeat business. I read all the replys to your post.. from what I see they alot of the neg post have a intrest in CYA, just by there comments it sounded like they have NO ideal how a customer should be treated..To gain his trust and repeat business. I live in Forney and just joined this forum to speak about my issue with this store. ....Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year, but most of all GOD BLESS AMERICA

Damn, someone older than me ...
    Howdy, welcome to TGT.
    And be sure to go by the Introduction forum and introduce yourself.

jlaval

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2015
    Forney, TX
    Being a retired Atlanta GA cop (only 46) and having moved to TX 5 months ago because of the wife's job... Living in Forney, I had to check out the local gun shops...to my surprise there are two main ones right here in Forney. CYA and Gotta Have Guns. One day I decided to give both of them a visit. If anyone knows Forney then you know they are pretty much close to each other.
    First one was CYA...Walked in they said "hi" can we help you etc...Looked at a few Glocks and the prices. Looked around for about 15 min..Place at that time wasn't busy at all.
    Next up was GHG. ...Walked in and got the same greeting... I was surprised how small the place was. I was talking to them and wanted to know if they had a G26, which they did. Come to find out they are a Glock Blue Label dealer. Walked out with a G26 @ LEO cost.
    With that being said...over the past 5 months. I've purchased three handguns and a shotgun from GHG at a great price on all of them.
    I do have to say that I've always had a pleasant experience every time I've been to CYA. Just today. I went there to pass the time before I had to pick the kids up from school. Ended up buying a used S&W Shield 9. My third shield...This one has $150 Trigicon sights on it along with Talon Grip. Looked new. Paid a Great price..Less than $330 and everyone working there was pleasant. This time the place was packed..but yet had enough time to answer my questions.
    Also, I would like to point out I've used both shops for FFL transfers (within two weeks of each other) and didn't have a problem with either one. (wanted to see if one was better than the other)
    Guess I've had good luck during my visits to both CYA and GHG..I go where the stock, price, and service is. In this case both places have done me good.

Last edited:

Charlie47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Frisco, TX; DFW Metroplex
    I've been trading guns, motorcycles, cars, trucks, Jet Skis, bicycles for over 50 years. My policy is to take back anything that is defective and give a full refund. There are some limitations:

"I bought it and didn't like it." We all have that happen to us and that's on YOU. No refund.

"The item is not as described." Refund.

"I fiddled with it and screwed it up." It's on you. No refund.

"My wife won't let me keep it." Refund. (This actually happened).

"It's defective." Immediate refund. I bought a Colt Python pistol at the big show in Tulsa. When I got home, I found the top strap was cracked from drilling it for a scope base. I finally found the seller at another show two years later. He inspected the gun and gave me an immediate refund. THAT guy had integrity!

That's how I've always done business. If you're unhappy with their policies, then walk away and find someone else to deal with.

Flash

This is exactly how I have conducted business for over 50 years also! I agree completely!

In addition, I've been a member here for some time but mostly lurked. Money for an ol' fart that's retired like me, is harder to get a hold of, at least for me! If there is a problem with a vendor/dealer, I would appreciate knowing, so I don't screw up. I realize the gentleman was new and then suspect. However, others came forward to back up the gentleman's claim. If I were that person I would be suspect this forum for the way I was jumped on by one or two. It's OK, there are other forums, but this one is TEXAS by GOD, I like TEXAS, since I'm a native son like others here! Yeah, I know I don't have THOUSANDS of posts and my motives are then suspect. So, since I'm new and suspect, if I'm now UNWELCOME, so be it! I'm an ol' fart and I can take it! So if I piss you off, okey dokey, I'll move on, if I'm still welcome, I would ask we try to be civil to suspect new folks, 'till we get to really know them. So, If I pissed anyone off, I apologize! To all others I say blessings dear Friends!!
    Kind Regards,
    Charlie47

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That happened to me about a month ago. I bought a used Taurus pistol that was striker fired. The striker refused to reset about 25% of the time. SO....you load a magazine, rack the slide back and carry the pistol for a week or two. God forbid, you need the pistol, draw it and the trigger slides effortlessly back to the stop. NO striker action resulted! It didn't do it every time where I could catch it in a pre-purchase inspection.

Their policy is to issue no refunds, too but under Texas law, what you sell must function as a pistol normally would. I did not buy the pistol "as is" and it was broken. I returned the gun the same day.

Buying a gun with "No returns" is vastly different than buying a gun "as is". If I didn't like the color of the gun....that's tough and on me. If I didn't like the sights on the gun.......that's on me.

The Taurus pistol was F'ed up and and dangerous so they needed to make that right regardless of their policy. That's what they did.

Incidentally, they returned the pistol to Taurus and the trigger was replaced for free. It sold later and was not heard from again. It was defective.

Flash

GKC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    San Angelo, Texas
    I have had a different experience with CYA Guns, and in particular, with Valerie. I've purchased a number of guns from this shop, from their store inventory, ordered from their website, and ordered from Gun Genie and shipped to them. In all cases, the transactions were pleasant and efficient. I've dealt with several of the sales people and on occasion, with Valerie.

Two specific instances come to mind. In one, she was showing me some 1911s, and in the course of discussing one (a Rock Island Armory) I mentioned that they have good service. She commented that they haven't had many problems with RIA 1911s, but when there is, they handle shipping the pistol to Armscor for the customer(s).

In the second instance, I had put a pistol on layaway. On the receipt, it plainly states that the layaway can be ended at any time, but the initial deposit is not refundable. I went in to redeem the pistol I had on layaway, and I saw that they had a pistol in the case that I would much rather have. My initial thought was, "I'll just put the second pistol on layaway until I can sell the one I am getting out of layaway." I decided to ask Valerie (who was waiting on me) if it was possible to transfer the layaway deposit to the pistol I wanted, rather than trying to sell the one I had initially put on layaway. She said that it wasn't their standard policy, but since the gun I had on layaway was a good seller and they didn't currently have one in stock, she would do that for me.

I've been in the store a number of times, sometimes to buy and sometimes just to drool...and in every case, I've been treated courteously and they have offered to let me handle any guns in their cases....even though I told them I was only looking. I like this shop, and they are my first choice when I am buying a gun, even though I don't live in Forney.

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I recently purchased a brand new Rock Island Armory M5 pump shotgun from CYA Guns & Ammo in Forney Texas. The next day when I attempted to load it up with shells I discovered it was defective (very difficult to fill magazine to capacity/won't feed shells at all). I did thoroughly inspect the gun in store before purchase however this issue only rares its ugly head when fully loaded. I contacted CYA about the issue and spoke with the manager Valerie. She refused to issue a refund or exchange the shotgun citing their "all sales are final" policy. This is a pretty standard policy in the firearms industry and I do understand the need for the policy to be in place. Valerie informed me that it's not their responsibility if they sell a defective firearm and that I would have to contact the manufacturer directly and work with them on the issue. I calmly protested and stated that I understood their policy; however policy is bendable. This is a unfired brand new firearm that I just purchased from them so surely an exception could be made in order to accommodate a customer...it's not like the gun broke 2 months and several hundred rounds later. Valerie still refused. I then asked if they could contact the manufacturer on my behalf to get everything setup to be shipped off for repair...she also refused to do that. So I had to contact the manufacturer to get a RMA and FedEx shipping label. I brought everything up to CYA and spoke with a salesman named Paul as well as the manager Valerie. I explained that I was disappointed that they wouldn’t make an exception in order to take care of a customer. In addition, I was disappointed because the manager Valerie had me do all of the leg work with the manufacturer when they should have handled all of that for me their customer. Paul seemed to really care and kindly explained the reasoning behind the policy (which the manager Valerie never did). Once the policy was explained to me I better understood their position and so we moved forward from there. After our discussion I left the firearm, RMA info, and FedEx label with Paul and Valerie. I acknowledged Paul and shook his hand…however Valerie had a very rude, indifferent, and annoyed demeanor about her. After shaking Paul’s hand I also acknowledged her and she just stood there with her arms crossed and didn’t extend her hand to me like her salesmen Paul did...horrible customer service from her in my opinion. I understand they don't have to bend their policy if they don't want to. I prefer to do my business with folks that will gladly go out of the way to take care of the customer regardless of their store policy...whether that's a refund, exchange, or simply offering to handle the return/repair process for the customer. My main issue is with how poorly I was treated by management.

Paragraphs are your friend and allow more people to read what you wanted them to hear. I didn't bother.

ETA: Dang, I responded to a zombie thread. LOL!

Last edited:

jlaval

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2015
    Forney, TX
    I have had a different experience with CYA Guns, and in particular, with Valerie. I've purchased a number of guns from this shop, from their store inventory, ordered from their website, and ordered from Gun Genie and shipped to them. In all cases, the transactions were pleasant and efficient. I've dealt with several of the sales people and on occasion, with Valerie.

Two specific instances come to mind. In one, she was showing me some 1911s, and in the course of discussing one (a Rock Island Armory) I mentioned that they have good service. She commented that they haven't had many problems with RIA 1911s, but when there is, they handle shipping the pistol to Armscor for the customer(s).

In the second instance, I had put a pistol on layaway. On the receipt, it plainly states that the layaway can be ended at any time, but the initial deposit is not refundable. I went in to redeem the pistol I had on layaway, and I saw that they had a pistol in the case that I would much rather have. My initial thought was, "I'll just put the second pistol on layaway until I can sell the one I am getting out of layaway." I decided to ask Valerie (who was waiting on me) if it was possible to transfer the layaway deposit to the pistol I wanted, rather than trying to sell the one I had initially put on layaway. She said that it wasn't their standard policy, but since the gun I had on layaway was a good seller and they didn't currently have one in stock, she would do that for me.

I've been in the store a number of times, sometimes to buy and sometimes just to drool...and in every case, I've been treated courteously and they have offered to let me handle any guns in their cases....even though I told them I was only looking. I like this shop, and they are my first choice when I am buying a gun, even though I don't live in Forney.
    Went in to CYA the other day because of an order I placed arrived (4 stripped AR lowers). Valerie was the person who filled out the paperwork and was helping me check out..She was pleasant and helpful. Never have had a bad experience from CYA and I've been there a dozen times plus now.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    The policy and reputation of the seller is something you need to check out prior to purchase. There are lots of places to buy guns from and many do price match. I also avoid sellers that are not knowledgeable of their products. For me the reason to attend gun shows is for the educational and entailment values. For the most part you will see a pattern of some sellers and some sales people that know the product and are just "good people" to deal with. These "good people" are the ones that I buy from when that time comes. In fact there are a few local businesses that I make a point to purchase something from every time I stop by their booth, many times just to add to my stash. We need to support the good guys and let the bad ones find something else to do.

taylored

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2016
    That is why I deal with my local gun shop. They take care of their customers. If a place sells you a defective gun they need to stand behind it.

Top Bottom