• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a full size CZ-75 with the DA/SA + safety. Its a genuine CZ, but with a trigger job and tuning done by, according to the guy I bought it from, Cajun Gun Works. It's a great gun, but the operation of the safety just doesn't seem quite right. Maybe someone familiar with CZ here can tell me if I've got a potential issue.

Let me set the scenario up. The hammer is down and the safety is engaged. I'm able to apply pressure to the trigger and get it to travel 8/10 the way to the break point. At the start of the trigger pull little effort is needed. It binds up enough stop moving completely under moderate to heavy trigger pull at the end of the travel. At this point the safety level is still mostly in the upward (engaged) position. If I release trigger pressure, the hammer and trigger remain stuck in the rearward position. If I disengage the safety, the hammer drops and the trigger returns to the forward position. The best I can tell, the firing pin block would/does prevent the gun from firing if there were a round in the chamber. The safety seems to work as any other SA gun if carried cocked and locked. I've asked around at a few gun stores, but they say they don't know enough about the CZ-75 to render an opinion.

Question: Is this DA operation's trigger and hammer travel (and eventual binding) normal on a CZ-75 when the safety is engaged?
    Capitol Armory ad

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    That is not normal. Somebody did some bubbasmithing to it and probably messed with the sear and hammer. I would absolutely ensure that the firing pin block is functional. First, check the firing pin block is actually installed, then make sure the FPB lifter arm is still present. It is the outermost piece in the sear cage, and should have a little arm that rotates up to depress the FPB in the slide.

Even if the FPB is present and working, I don't think that gun is safe to carry. Something is definitely wrong with it; you may have only uncovered the tip of the iceberg.

I would contact Dave Milam (owner of CGW). You can call up his shop and he is the one that answers. Explain to him everything you mentioned in this thread. He'll walk you through it. If you give him the serial number, he might even be able to share with you if he in fact did the work on that pistol. My bet is that the previous owner used CGW parts but installed himself and also altered the sear cage components trying to remove the hammer camming in single action, and rendered the gun pretty much unsafe.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The post above is right.

I just pulled out stock my CZ 75B
    With the hammer down, (not at half cock) but fully down, the safety cannot be engaged

I would not trust it until its fixed

TXP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The responses here in 1 day have been more helpful than what I was able to gather from some gun stores over 3 months. Thanks a lot. I suspected something was wrong, but you all have confirmed it. I'll look into getting it fixed in the near future. Until then, it will remain in the safe.

In case anyone was curious, I looked at the gun again after getting this information. The FPB lifter arm is still present and seems to engage the FPB, also still functional, correctly. I also noticed that when I disengage the safety and the hammer drops, it drops to the half cock position. Not sure how strong that half cock notch is, but I'm guessing it was not designed to be a decocker notch.

Thought about sending it to CZ, but the trigger and safety are so smooth and crisp, I'm afraid they'd replace it with a less desirable setup. I'll probably have a local gunsmith look at it when I find one that knows how to work on them but doesn't charge like he is God's gift to CZ owners.

Thanks again for great information.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Well the half notch actually is another safety. It is not just a shelf but actually a hook which will catch a hammer that's falling at full speed. Still doesn't make it safe though. Who knows what other issues it may have.

I still recommend calling Dave Milam to see if he can help. He may only charge you shipping and parts to put it back to stock or whatever configuration you want.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    As for sending it to CZ, don't hesitate. They're awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the work under warranty. The trigger pull may be smooth, but that trigger job may very well be what's causing the issues. It needs to be reversed.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom