Capitol Armory ad

CZ vz 52 Pistol 9mm barrel ream to 9mm Largo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have a few vz 52 pistols and one is (converted) chambered in 9mm Luger. It does not feed properly, probably because the magazine is too long for the short Luger round. I have seen 9mm converted Tokarev magazines with a spacer to compensate for the shorter 9mm round in the Chinese 54 (same original 7.62 x 25) but not for CZ. (I have a Chinese 54 in 38 Super Auto so the cartridge OAL is correct for the magazine)

I would just like to get the barrel reamed to the longer 9 x 23mm (9mm Largo) cartridge so the rounds fit the magazine and function properly but not over-pressure the barrel. (NOT 38 Super Auto!)

I have a replacement barrel/roller assy for this vz 52 in 7.62 x 25mm so swapping barrels is easy and the cartridge overall length is essentially the same for the 7.62 x 25 and the 9mm Largo.

Anyone know of someone with a chamber reamer or someone with a 9 x 23mm barrel for sale?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

bob
    Capitol Armory ad

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    They were offered commercially years ago - FAC sold them, I believe.
    I *really* dislike that pistol, a close friend was killed when the firing pin safety failed resulting in a discharge.

Eli

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Condolences on the loss of your friend.
    God knows, too many firearm mishaps occur when they are made as safely as possible. Scrimping on making the piece safer seems a uniquely communist way of doing things, which is to be expected from the higher-up's rationalization that any of their own whom they kill in battle (accidentally or otherwise), they will not have to feed, later.

I don't know of anyone with a reamer for 9x23, but there simply must be some floating around, somewhere. A cautionary note I received long ago, from a SAINT named Clark Magnusson (who has probably destroyed more firearms in torture tests than I'll EVER own), recommended specifically against "hot-rodding" this pistol, because the chamber is very very thin at a place where it should be thicker.

From your post, I DO NOT get the impression that you are trying to "hot rod" things, but I'm wondering if reaming a 7.62x25mm barrel to 9x23mm would render that already-thin chamber wall even more thin. Since MY general luck in life is such that if it started raining SOUP, I'D be the only guy caught in the open with a FORK and a COLANDER, I tend to over-research things a bit.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    The 9mm Largo barrels were offered 20 years ago because there was a lot of surplus 9mm Largo ammo at the time. That isn't the case any more, all that Santa Barbara stuff dried up a while back and is bringing big money now.
    The original 7.62X25 is still available for reasonable money, but both the guns and the ammo cost a lot more than they did 'back in the day' - and availability is a lo less as well.

Eli

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I really don't care about ammo availability or cost as I reload all my own stuff.
    I even go out of my way to buy obsolete firearms that use obsolete ammo and reform brass to suit if need be. (I reload 7.62 x 38R Nagant ammo 'properly')
    I have firearms for 30 Remington, Winchester 1907 (.351), 455 Webley, Steyr 8x56R, 6.5 Carcano, 44 WCF, 38 WCF, etc.

9mm Largo has lower chamber pressures than 9mm Luger so I am not concerned.

I like to make things that don't normally exist. I have a 1981 VW Rabbit with a 1.6 liter Turbo Diesel engine mated to an Automatic Gearbox. It took 3 cars and fabricated brackets to make this one.

I see that the 9 X 23mm Winchester is almost dimensionally IDENTICAL to the Largo.
    I can rent a reamer for the Winchester cartridge and load the Largo for the chamber.

I'll post when I get it sorted.

bob

Top Bottom