Join TexasGunTalk

Dallas Cop fired, charged criminally.

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Renegade, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Well they wasted no time firing him, and bringing up criminal charges. Obvious bad shoot was obvious to the chief too.

DALLAS –– Ofc. Cardan Spencer, the six-year veteran who shot a mentally ill man in the abdomen who was standing still with his arms at his sides, was fired on Thursday and charged with aggravated assault.
    The results of an internal investigation found that Spencer violated the department’s deadly force policy and the standard operating procedure regarding mentally ill persons. Spencer was told of his punishment during a disciplinary hearing Thursday morning.

Chief fires officer who shot mentally ill man in the abdomen | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

2. just jk

just jk TGT Addict

Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    crappy situation all the way around - especially after watching the video and comparing it with what the PD released before that

but they're doing the right thing now - at least so it would seem

3. hellishhorses

hellishhorses Well-Known

Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how our justice system works (sometimes). You would want the same investigation to take place if you were involved — on either side.

ETA: Damn, I've been surprisingly pro-LE today — and I didn't have donuts or bacon for breakfast :D.

4. RACER X

RACER X TGT Addict

Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    He's union, he'll get his job back

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

5. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Not likely. Department already talked to the union I would guess before they made this move.

6. just jk

just jk TGT Addict

Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i can think of quite a few instances in the last few years where Dallas cops were fired for misconduct -

none of them were saved by the union

7. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I myself doubt he would have been fired if there was not video. Video really locks things down, especially to the statement.

He fired 4 shots, 1 hit. Victim is still alive and will probably recover.

8. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Agree ... the body cam movement going on in PD's are going to change the game considerably. Not that it's a game.

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Now that all evidence has been considered, proper action has been taken.

How long was that guy on?

10. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    DALLAS –– Ofc. Cardan Spencer, the six-year veteran who shot a mentally ill man in the abdomen who was standing still with his arms at his sides, was fired on Thursday and charged with aggravated assault.